Very few cargo runs and faction problems

Crumb

Spaceman
Ever since I started the storyline missions(I just finished the first Lynch mission) It has become very difficult to find cargo missions. Maybe ever fifth or sixth port I stop in will have some(both mission terminal and merchant guild computer). Every other mission type has lots to choose from.

Also after I started the storyline missions the confeds and militia have been all over me(which makes sense I was running contraband for Tayla). Ive killed 30 pirates now and there has been no change in the confeds or militias view towardsme. Is this intentional and if so how many pirates do I need to kill to become at least neutral with the right side of the law again?

Just tried to kill some Kilrathi...... 5 cats versus my Galaxy meant kaboom for me........
I forgot how much I love this game :) More than 10 years later and the cats still manage to piss me off lol. Killed a couple retros and my faction rating with them went down but still no change with the confed or militia(I cant remember if retro kills affect confed and militia standing though).

Okay, Ive managed to kill 8 Cats now and my reputaion with the confeds has gone down to -61 from -100. Militia is still unchanged. The Kilrathi went from +100 to -100 with only 8 kills. So its that easy to lose rep but much harder to gain it. It makes sense I guess. Im just tired of getting shot to pieces by Confeds and Militia in every system I go to. I still can not find many cargo runs though. Very difficult making money as a trader without that extra income.

it clamps the relation at -100 but the game saves any damage you've done since -100...

so you could be at -1000 or -10000 and it would just display -100
I could have it display unclamped numbers

Ok that would explain it then. After doing the missions for Tayla my rep went through the floor with the confeds and militia. I had to kill a bunch to finish the missions and survive after the fact. My rep probable was much lower than -100.

Any idea why Im not getting cargo missions? Its getting harder and harder to find them.

Anybody ever play the Fallout games? Reputation for the various factions in the game is rated in your personal info like privateer-remake. Except that they use words instead of numbers... I think that might make it more immersive in priv-remake.

IIRC, the scale was from "vilified" to "hero" or something.

yah, i remember. that series is done so well. the fallout world is the most immersive i've ever experienced.

-scheherazade

kilolima said:
Anybody ever play the Fallout games? Reputation for the various factions in the game is rated in your personal info like privateer-remake. Except that they use words instead of numbers... I think that might make it more immersive in priv-remake.

IIRC, the scale was from "vilified" to "hero" or something.

Thats a great idea! It would make it that little bit more personal than just a number.
It probable wouldn't be hard to implement either. Just attach a name to a number range, like 0 = neutral , 1-50 = Allies, 51-99 = Trusted Ally, 100-infinity = Hero. Then just do something similiar for the negative field. Keep the color scheme for the names so they are easy to glance over and see who is friend and foe. Its a pretty sweet idea imo.

If your a fan of fallout check out http://www.the-fall.com/e/index.php

ya I could easily make a lookup table from number to rating...
wouldn't quite make sense to have the table say

confed: villain
kilrathi: hero
but maybe if someoen put an exact table of descriptors they want in the table I could add that

Would all factions have to have the same descriptons or could each faction have unique ones like this:

Confed
- Upstanding Citizen (51 - 100)
- Profile Cleared to Sectors Edge (1 - 50)
- neutral (0)
- Wanted for Questioning (-1 - -50)
- wanted Dead or Alive (-51 - infinity)

Kilrathi
- Favored Monkeyboy(51-100)
- Monkeyboy(1-50)
- neutral(0)
- Enemy of Kilrah(-1 - -50)
- Most Wanted Slave for Afterworld(-51 - Infinity)

If I understand correctly, you want to substitute the numbers for a representative literal? Correct? I'm not sure if I like it all that much. I'd rather see a number since there is gradation and you can see how much you're loved or villified. Converting a numeric value to a word loses the gradation so you don't know how much more you have to work in any direction to get to where you want to be. I'd rather see the numbers and maybe in the manual describe what the number scale means. imho.

ther is another way to level up the reputaion. Comunication!
keep sendind message 3 to them. As fast and manny as possible.
It takes time, but it workes
That way I managed to get the conf and millita of my back without killing one of them.
In fact I didn't ever kill one of them. In the Talya-mission I just hit my afterburners and run, will sending message 3.
Maybe that's why I managed to level up my reputaion to 1 again.

tcat92 said:
If I understand correctly, you want to substitute the numbers for a representative literal? Correct? I'm not sure if I like it all that much. I'd rather see a number since there is gradation and you can see how much you're loved or villified. Converting a numeric value to a word loses the gradation so you don't know how much more you have to work in any direction to get to where you want to be. I'd rather see the numbers and maybe in the manual describe what the number scale means. imho.

when you watched the movie The Matrix, did you just watch it as a stream of bits or did you watch it as audio and motion video?

Crumb said:
Kilrathi
- Favored Monkeyboy(51-100)
- Monkeyboy(1-50)
- neutral(0)
- Enemy of Kilrah(-1 - -50)
- Most Wanted Slave for Afterworld(-51 - Infinity)

heheh! these are great! How about 'weak like a little girl' in there for neutral?

Would that be a bad thing? :D

Regardless, nobody's doing anything yet, other than offering and considering suggestions.

Freelancer is not the only game to use such a system. X^2 comes to mind, there are certainly others. I tend to prefer the number based system myself, but I can see reasons for both.

kilolima said:
when you watched the movie The Matrix, did you just watch it as a stream of bits or did you watch it as audio and motion video?

This is a poor analogy. Seeing a movie in a stream of bits is unintelligible whereas a numeric value of +50 in the context is meaningful in that it tells you that you're liked by a faction somewhere half-way between neutral (0) or very much (100).

A better analogy would be, "if someone offers you a bag of money, would you rather have them offer you 'some money', 'a lot of money', 'shxx load of money' or $500-$900, $5000-$10000, $50000-100000, respectively?" I prefer the latter.

Back