• Other V*-1 series (VT-1, VE-1, etc.)

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • VF-0

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters
VF Chronology

Ok, here is the VF chronology as taken from the Macross Compendium (http://www.anime.net/macross/)

First Generation Variable Fighters

Sv-51
Produced by Sukhoi/Israel Aircraft Industries/Dornier
No info on the development programme. However, due to dialog in Macross Zero, it appears to be developed before the VF-0. Although the character that said the line might be biased

VF-0 (unofficially Phoenix)
Produced by Northrop Grumman/Stonewell/Shinsei Industries (or at least what would become Shinsei Industries. Continuty hole, don't ask me).
Deployed at Mayan from 2007 to 2008 (as the Compendium says, "one to two years before Space War I", which was in 2009). Limited production run. Apparently, no survivors to the 2010 holocaust (although, since Macross Zero hasn't ended yet, we cannot be sure :D )

]VF-1 Valkyrie
Produced by Stonewell/Bellcom
Deployment and Mass Production started on November and December 2008. Production restarted on August 2011.
Production ended in 2015.

VF-4 Lightning III (After the real life P-38 Lightning and the YF-22 Lightning II)
Produced by Stonewell/Bellcom
Mass Production started on February 2012
Development started on September 2012
Production ended in 2022 after 8245 units.

VF-3000 Crusader
Produced by Stonewell Bellcom/Shinnakasu Heavy Industry.
Not much info available. The Compendium lists Shinnakasu and Stonewell merging in 2012 to form Shinsei Industry, and since the fighter was developed before the merging, it is most likely a contemporary of the VF-4.
Also, the fighter was the base for the VF-5000, produced early in the 2020´s, which supports even further the theory. Se the VF-5000 entry for other pointers.

Due to design errors, and consecuent accidents, production was terminated after little units were produced.

Second Generation Variable Fighters

VF-5000 (unofficially called the Star Mirage)
Produced by Shinsei Industry
Based on the VF-1 and the VF-3000 and designed for low cost. Programme started in 2011 by Stonewell Bellcom and Shinnakasu Heavy Industry. After the merger of the company in 2012 (into Shinsei Industry), it became the new company's first project.
First flight 2018
Mass production started 2020
Mass production ended 2029

VF-9 Cutlass
First Variable Fighter by General Galaxy
First flight 2021
Mass production started 2023
Mass production ended 2029

VF-11 Thunderbolt
Produced by Shinsei Industry, based on the VF-1
Again, not much information on the development provided. It became the UN Spacy main fighter in 2030, so it supposedly was in service for some time before that. However, according to the Macross M3 game, a prototype was tested in combat in April 2030, so WHEN was the Thunderbolt first developed is debatable.

VF-14 Vampire
Produced by General Galaxy/Messer
Based on the VF-4
First flight 2027.
Mass production started 2028, entered service 2030.
Production continues under license in colonies and elsewhere.

Third Generation Variable Fighters

VF-17 Nightmare
Produced by General Galaxy
One more time, not enough info. However, it being a step up in space manouvrability from the VF-14 and being quite advanced compared to other fighters besides the new AVFs, we can assume it hasen't been in service for long

VF-19 Excalibur
Produced by Shinsei Industries
Prototype first flight in 2039
VF-19A probably first flown in 2041
VF-19F/S first developed in 2046

VF-22 Sturmvogel II
Produced by General Galaxy based on the YF-21 design.
Prototype probably first flown in 2041, adopted by the UN Spacy as Special Ops fighter 2042.
First developed 2046.

Other variable craft

Not enough info either on the VA-3 to guess it development dates. The fact that it doesn't appear to be related to any other VF futher messes up any analysis. However, due to the companies that produced the VB-6 (Shinnakasu/Northrom Grumman), it can be said that that particular VB was developed before the 2012 merger. Although, due to the technology and expertise needed for the project, that sounds ludicrous.

True, not much to go on for the VA-3. But the VAB-2 was only deployed in 2042 so I'm guessing it had to be after that.

VF-11
Development began in 2022
First Flight 2028
Mass production started 2030

VF-17
Development began 2026
First Flight 2035

Got those dates from the timeline on the Conpendium. Apparently there is also a VF-5 that was mass produced but I have no idea what that looks like or if it even showed up in any game/series/movie.

That's what I get for posting half asleep (and not checking all the timeline :p )
I'll give in to the VF-17, sounds logical (although a bit stretched).

However, on the VF-11... I don't really trust even the Compendium on that. Macross games, when not based on actual series or movies (like the DYRL side scroller or Macross Plus Game Edition) are considered canon (i.e. VFX-2). Following that logic, the events in Macross M3 contradicts written continuty. The 2030 prototype mission with Millia was what defined whether the VF-11 would have canards or not (as said in the VF-11 entry as well), a far too important design feature to be thought of just a revision of the original design. Gonna have to email Egan Loo to see what's up.

Guess we won't know until either he answers me (if he does), I can find someone to read the VF-11 entry in the Macross Design Works book, or I learn enough kanji to read it myself :(

Oh, and BTW, the VF-5 is a text only part of the chronology. There is no design of it, neither it has appeared in any macross project.

And the VAB-2 and the VA-3 appear to have as much in common as the F-104 and the F-4. The VAB-2 is a stealth fighter bomber designed using techniques and features learnt with and during the Super Nova Project (how the hell the Varauta got a hold of it is something I won't try to explain) and deployed in 2042.
Meanwhile, only four years later the VA-3 was common use in colony worlds and civilians. Including pirates. If anything, should the designations go in order, the VA-3 would be at prototype stages or at best begining development.

Therefore, I say the VA-3 is an old BUF (not BUFF as the media says). :p

Yeah, your right about the VAB-2 and VB-3, they really don't share much in terms of looks. When I posted I wasn't too sure what the VAB-2 even looked like (forgot that is what the FBz-99 was based on).

Back