Upgrades

KravenMk4

Spaceman
Hi all, I cant seem to buy beyond lvl 3 reactors and shields for my centurion. I remember in the original game i could get lvl 5 upgrades with the same ship. is it a bug?

??? Thats odd, i distinctly remember the orion receiving up to lvl 3, the galaxy lvl 4 and the centurion lvl 5 (justifying its rep as the ultimate bounty hunter ship). But i couldnt get lvl 5 for any ship in the remake. anyway i need the shields and power.

I don't want to be a smartass, but believe me that the Centurion was designed as powerful but fast fighter, whereas the Orion was something of a heavy battle tank which could pack the Level 5 equipment (and needed it just to get it moving).

I don't really know if it is in the original manual, but you can look into it if you like (and if the FAQ is not enough): ftp://ftp.wcnews.com/files/manuals/Wing Commander - Privateer - Manual.pdf

But I think that's not your problem. The Centurion is a good ship, but you need to watch out not to overload it with heavy cannons. Make use of its speed, mount some llighter cannons that don't eat up your energy, use the Shelton slide or buy auto-targetting turrets... - the game really is balanced enough to make it without tweaking around in csv files.

A fair number of bug reports are caused by people not remembering how things were in the original (no offense to Kraven). The Centurion justifies its reputation by being fast, maneuverable and heavily armed. About all the Orion has going for it are the thicker shields.

Max in a centurion in the original was shield 3 reactor 3
Max in orion was 5 5
Galaxy I dont remember as clearly but I -think- it was shield 4 reactor 3. I never really flew anything but a centurion actively and i never play merchant, galaxy isnt too bad all things considered though.

Tarsus was reactor 1 Shield 2

I have a similar problem in that I cannot upgrade or change very much equipment at all on my ships, however all of mine are mil spec and come with certain equipment preinstalled. I am curious as to why this equipment is not removable/changable though.

because of the concept of 'milspec'. military ships have all of their stuff pre-installed and that's how it is. a military ship SHOULDN'T be moddable....period. a true military craft is designed as is. for you to have a milspec centurion though is...well...dumb. confeds not going to sell military centurions.

Privateer and Righteous Fire

Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since I played the original game but I recall that the best reactor you could get for a Centurion in Privateer was level 3 but in Righteous Fire the Centurion would support a level 5 reactor. Given that the game is open source it should be possible to modify it to the parameters that you want.

Floater

So has anyone managed to get a level 5 reactor for thier Centurion? I've been looking but they are always 'red' or out of stock.

Floater said:
Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since I played the original game but I recall that the best reactor you could get for a Centurion in Privateer was level 3 but in Righteous Fire the Centurion would support a level 5 reactor. Given that the game is open source it should be possible to modify it to the parameters that you want.

Floater

If that's true, you can open the centurion.blank.csv file under .privateer100/serialized_xml/yourlastsavegame, and under the cargo column, find where it says 'reactor_level_3' and change the 3 to a 5. Make sure you backup the file first.

Floater said:
Given that the game is open source it should be possible to modify it to the parameters that you want.

I finally, grudgingly and regrettingly see Loaf's point in getting angry at the game. If this is what comes out of the open source idea, then fine. Let people edit their way to a lvl-50 superfighter with ten autofiring turrets, then they'll complain that the game is bland and everything is way too easy. But that's okay.

But please, rename the project, then.

Make it "Privateer: Reloaded" or "Privateer: Full Throttle".

If this is the way people get their first impression of the Wing Commander Universe (and I am deliberately ambiguous here), then expectations are raised to a scenario that has nothing to do anymore with the games I used to like.

I appreciate the work you all have put into this, and you achieved something great. But it's a prometean moment: if you don't take care about what you let people do to and with the things you offer, you'll achieve something terrible.

Faderaven said:
So has anyone managed to get a level 5 reactor for thier Centurion? I've been looking but they are always 'red' or out of stock.
Again - you can't without hacking the game. In the original you could only get a level 3 until Righteous Fire, and it is the same in the Remake.

criticalmass said:
I finally, grudgingly and regrettingly see Loaf's point in getting angry at the game. If this is what comes out of the open source idea, then fine. Let people edit their way to a lvl-50 superfighter with ten autofiring turrets, then they'll complain that the game is bland and everything is way too easy. But that's okay.

But please, rename the project, then.

Make it "Privateer: Reloaded" or "Privateer: Full Throttle".

If this is the way people get their first impression of the Wing Commander Universe (and I am deliberately ambiguous here), then expectations are raised to a scenario that has nothing to do anymore with the games I used to like.

I appreciate the work you all have put into this, and you achieved something great. But it's a prometean moment: if you don't take care about what you let people do to and with the things you offer, you'll achieve something terrible.

You're contradicting yourself. You say the original game was good, and that allowing people like me to hack the savegame is bad. But the original was quite hackable.

Well, let me quote nobody but myself, and repeat my point: If the game should stay close to the original, it should be hackable, like the original.

JKeefe said:
Again - you can't without hacking the game. In the original you could only get a level 3 until Righteous Fire, and it is the same in the Remake.

So, is there any way to get my shields to recharge faster? I have a level 4 reactor/ 4 shiled. Would I be better off with a 3 shield?

I have to add that I don't understand why everyone is so upset about the way other people play this game either. Cheat codes have existed as long as games have.

yes...downgrade your shields. if you've ever played the original, you'd know that you always have one engine upgrade higher than your shields.

Instead of downgrading them, I would simply deactivate certain levels. "s" and "S" activate 2/3 and 1/3 of your shiled power. That way you can turn them back to full if you ever feel the need.

All right, I still don´t get it.. You can buy Shield 4 Level 4. But can you also buy Shield 4 Level 9?

or the same with the reactors. I don´t want to build a super ship.... but how do I have to understand this. How can I buy those what ship need I?? It is pretty frustrating to see these upgrade for sale and having no idee how the get them...

Maybe someone can help me with this, even though there were so many questions about the upgrades.

Back