Unkown Enemy Problems

Viper61

Spaceman
Hey guys! Great work getting the game out! But as expected, some idiot (that's me) already has problems with it. I'm running XP - I installed UE into a different directory (not the default) and set the compatibility modes of the EXE but it tells me this when I try to run it-

FATAL
Iff::Iff open file 'mission\enemy.srs' not fouund and not optional

and this when I try to uninstall it-

Runtime error '53' file not found

Any ideas? Also, do you want the tech questions handled in tech support or on this board?

Thanks

C-ya

Probably wouldn't matter much either way.

I suppose you have SO working fine?

[You might not be the only one - ChrisV has the same problem in Tech Support.]

It sounds like you installed UE into a folder other than the folder where the main copy of Secret Ops is. This is very important - the only folder from which the game can access TRE files (which contain all the data) is the folder into which the original SO was installed.

Don't worry about corrupting your original SO with UE, either - the two games coexist quite happily in the same folder.

Generally speaking, for UE-related problems, you will probably get an answer here much faster than in the tech forum.

Perhaps this should be made clear to people who like installing stuff in different folders? ;) Though I suppose it should be common sense, since UE relies on SO. Then again, we all know how common common sense is.

Mmm, of course. But in people's mad rush to download and play it, they might have missed it. Also... I can't see where it's mentioned.

Well, it was probably mentioned in a news update a while ago :p. I guess we need to be clearer about it.

Hmm, didn't notice that. It seems you posted the wrong thing, though - it's not a matter of installing UE in the default directory, it's a matter of installing it wherever SO was installed. So, it really depends on where the user chose it (though c:\games\Secret Ops was the default for SO, IIRC).

Yes, but it works fine in the non-default directory, as long as that's where SO was installed :).

Well, hard deleting really should work fine :). The only changes UE makes in the registry are the ones made by the fiction viewer, and clearly those changes aren't being made :p. So, you can delete the installed UE without worrying about uninstalling it properly.

Back