Unable to launch Prophecy in Win 2K

Floater

Spaceman
I reinstalled prophesy recently. (I'm hoping to run Standoff...) Anyway it crashes to desktop soon after I launch it.

The message reads: prophecy.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program.

An error log is being created.

I get the message everytime I try to launch. I don't know where the log file is or even it it will be of any use. I've tried changing the settings under "select video card" (it only shows "software" and "Direct3D" as options...)

Trying to make this choice gives me the message "The dynamic link library glide2x.dll could not be found in the specified path" It then lists various paths for the OS.

I have no idea what is going on. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
Floater

By the way, congrats to CIC on a 7th year. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who is still into wing commander. Its a shame that software companies seems stuck on trying to follow some sort of formula in making games. Wing Commander was always pushing the limits. It set the standards. (For that matter so did Ultima Underworld...)

Floater said:
I reinstalled prophesy recently. (I'm hoping to run Standoff...) Anyway it crashes to desktop soon after I launch it.

The message reads: prophecy.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program.

Standoff requires Secret Ops, which is completely separate from Prophecy.

Did you apply the Windows 2000 patch for Prophecy?
http://download.wcnews.com/files/wcp/prophecy_win2k.zip

Hi Chris,

I don't have the patch so that is probably the problem. I'll try it out. I do have the secret ops download but I figured that it would make sense to install each portion of the program/expansion/mod and verify that it works at each step.

Thank you very much for the post and the link. I'm definitely looking forward to standoff.

cheers,
Floater

Floater said:
I don't have the patch so that is probably the problem. I'll try it out. I do have the secret ops download but I figured that it would make sense to install each portion of the program/expansion/mod and verify that it works at each step.

Prophecy is separate from Secret Ops and has no connection the Standoff. Secret Ops also doesn't really work in Windows 2000.. there's no reliable way for most people to get it running smoothly. Some people who can get SO installed in Windows 2000 can get limited operability in Standoff though.

Back