UE and Standoff

Farbourne

Rear Admiral
Technical question:

I just finished Standoff (thus far), and while I'm waiting for Eps 4 and 5, I thought I'd give Unkown Enemy a try. But I wanted to make sure of something first... I know UE, like Standoff, uses the Secret Ops install to run its engine. Will installing and playing UE corrupt or otherwise interfere with my current Standoff install? Does anyone know? Do I need separate SO installs, or will UE and Standoff both play with the same SO install without messing with one another? I finally managed to save both the Verdun and the Sao Paulo, and woudn't want to lose that. ;) So I decided to ask before installing anything.

I gave a cursory scan to both the UE and the Standoff FAQ's, and didn't see anything mentioning a problem, but I wanted to be sure...

Technical question:

I just finished Standoff (thus far), and while I'm waiting for Eps 4 and 5, I thought I'd give Unkown Enemy a try. But I wanted to make sure of something first... I know UE, like Standoff, uses the Secret Ops install to run its engine. Will installing and playing UE corrupt or otherwise interfere with my current Standoff install? Does anyone know? Do I need separate SO installs, or will UE and Standoff both play with the same SO install without messing with one another? I finally managed to save both the Verdun and the Sao Paulo, and woudn't want to lose that. ;) So I decided to ask before installing anything.

I gave a cursory scan to both the UE and the Standoff FAQ's, and didn't see anything mentioning a problem, but I wanted to be sure...

They don't appear to interfere with each other on my computer. Hmmm...this post gives me an urge to brush up on my bug hunting skills...

UE and Standoff are designed to both work in the Secret Ops folder without interfering one another... although I would suggest that you install Standoff over UE, just to make sure.

Just install UE over your SO/Standoff folder, and then reinstall Standoff again. Reinstalling won't mess with your savegames, they'll be safe :)

Always remember: UE and Standoff have to be installed in the original SO installation folder.

Yeah, if you do what Pete suggested, there should be no problems at all.

It is possible that UE replaces files shared by both mods with older versions that lack some functionality Standoff might require (because we've added more features to the engine during development of Standoff).

However, reinstalling Standoff would update these files to their newest versions, which have all the features used by both games... so doing this should prevent any conflicts.

Just to be on the safe side, don't try to run Standoff between installing UE and reinstalling Standoff on top of it - something as simple as starting the game with an outdated file still in place could corrupt your savegame... although I don't think it would happen in this particular case (I think UE and Standoff only share "harmless" files which would not corrupt your savegame even if you tried to run Standoff with incompatible versions).

You don't need to worry about the savegame files themselves at all, though. UE savegames and Standoff savegames will not replace each other (or Secret Ops's for that matter), and reinstalling Standoff will not reset the savegames from the previous installation.

Back