Typhoons Suck!

Check out accuweather.com.

And global warming caused by humans is bullshit. In the mid '70's everyone was talking about the possibilities of a new Ice Age. The Earth warms and cools in cycles, regardless of human activity. I think in the 14th century there was a "Little Ice Age".

In all fairness, we simply don't have enough data to prove or disprove that global warming, as it is commonly thought of, is caused by humans. The fact of the matter is that even a fairly clean combustion engine produces some carbon dioxide, and carbon dioxide is what causes greenhouse effect. Whether the amount that we pump into the atmosphere is significant enough to cuase a change, we don't really know. Some studies say yes, some say no. To top it off, many studies have as much to do with science as they do politics.

Edfilho - I did laugh at your joke. I thought mine was kinda funny too. By the way, I drive an SUV, and I love it. Especically in the winter time. VRMMM!

I did a little reading on the Little Ice Age. It was warmer before the Little Ice Age than it is now. Vineyards in England, higher treelines, stuff like that. Very interesting subject. So I guess until we can grow grapes in England again, we need not worry about global warming.

i can notice the effect of global warning here already. the summer falls in late (normaly around june/july) and now halfway july begin august. winter starts more in december, and then it starts to freeze. realy wierd, and we didn't have a nice winter for years when temperatures stayed below zero for more then a week. that sucks, i wanna skate again!

If the Earth was warmer before the Little Ice Age than it is now, why would anyone be concerned about the Earth just getting back up to it's normal temperature?

iCe said:
i can notice the effect of global warning here already. the summer falls in late (normaly around june/july) and now halfway july begin august. winter starts more in december, and then it starts to freeze. realy wierd, and we didn't have a nice winter for years when temperatures stayed below zero for more then a week. that sucks, i wanna skate again!

The problem with going outside every spring and deciding that it's warmer or colder at that moment every year is that it lacks perspective. Summer '03 in New England was miserable...seemed like near 100 temps every day and high humidity. Conversely, this summer it probably only reached 90 a couple of times. Not only that, but we had just about the coldest winter I can remember last year, so it's all relative. It's just difficult to tell becuase you're only looking at your own region and over a very short period of time. And while we have indirect evidence of climate change dating back milions of years, we really have only been studying global climate and weather patterns at this level of sophistication for the last 100 years, a speck of time in the history of the world.

I love skating, and hadn't really skated in years up until last winter. As much as I thought it was a little too cold this last winter, it made for plenty of time on the ice. There's a really nice pond down the street from my old place; played a lot of pond hockey with the neighborhood kids.

All I know is that it's freaking hot in here. up to 40° with lot's of humidity for long months. I really dread december, january and february... If I could go to the beach everyday, it'd be fine, but I gotta a job.

If I lived in Rio I'd be at the beach every day. :D I'm actually kinda sad our summer is just about over, there weren't nearly enough good beach days this year. Hopefully we'll have a little more good weather, as this is the best time of year to go swimming in the ocean (it reaches a balmy 65 degrees F).

The problem with global warming isn't that the whole planet is getting warmer, but that the planet gets warmer in spots and colder in others, because the whole balance of global circulation is disrupted. New circulation patterns are established when the climate reaches equilibrium again, but it might leave Europe with the same climate as Alaska, and send 4 hurricanes a year through Florida.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_Warm_Period
http://www.grida.no/climate/ipcc_tar/wg1/070.htm

One thing you have to remember about the "Little Ice Age" is that it doesn't show up on paleoclimatic records, like ice cores, meaning that it was possibly a localized event. The event also only lowered global average temperature by about 1 degree Celsius at the most, which isn't very much. It just goes to show you how unpredictable on the concerns of mere puny hoomans that even tiny flunctuations in global temperature can be. Indeed, some evidence shows that the event affected Europe the most, which might point to at least direct causes in the Atlantic conveyer, for example.

On the subjects of storms again...

It's pretty interesting that this year is the first time in over 100 years a single state has been hit by 4 hurricanes in a season. The last one was Texas in the 1880s. Although I heard on NPR and other news outlets that the cost of the storms is around the cost of Hurricane Andrew all those years ago....pretty crazy stuff

I think 2004 will go down in history as a really bad year in weather. We did have that second storm, and it was worse than the first one. Two super-typhoons in a month andd a half. Everyone is getting foodstamps from the feds to make up for the losses incurred by the storms, but the funny thing is that the Chamber of Commerce is saying that the foodstamps are adding another $2million to our economy here! Funny huh? I think FEMA should require that people in Florida start building storm resistant structures to be eligble for disater repair assistance. It may cost more at first but it will be less money in the long run.

I've got a buddy in Florida that I keep ragging on to move to Texas to get out from under the hurricanes. I might be wearing him down.

To be fair, 4 hurricanes hitting one state for the first time in a 100 years is probably because that sort of thing happens once in a century. ;-) Now, if it happens again next year, or within the next decade, might be time to start worrying...

**edit**
BTW, isn't that Origins article you linked to from 1983? And none of the articles it references is newer than 1982 (which makes sense, obviously). We've deepened our understanding about long term climate a lot in the last 20 years, including improved sampling techniques and better computer models. 1982 is pretty much the Stone Age when it comes to making any calculation that requires more than a few hours on a 4 function.

Extensive research that is documented, even without computers is still extensive research. If you read what it said, you would see that computer models and crap like that are irrelevant to whether Earth was actually warmer than it is now at one time.

Back