Typhoons Suck!

Joker057

Spaceman
Geez I'm finally back online. We had a huge typhoon out here. Actually it is refered to as a super typhoon. The winds were in excess of 150 mph. That storm in Florida was nothing compared to what hit us out here. I didnt have power for a couple of days and some people still don't. We had another typhoon hit us in June and we didnt get power back for five days! Whats the deal? The weather this year has been the worst in recent memory, flooding all around the world! Major storm systems hitting populated areas. Me thinks they arent lying about the severity of the greehouse effect. Comments?

Charley probably still did more economic damage. Disasters tend to inflict more economic damage on highly developed areas, and more deaths in less developed areas. As for electricity, thousands of customers are still without in Florida, and may be that way for many customers for more than a month, as the infrastructure needs to be rebuilt almost from scratch.

everytime we have a thuderstorm out here, the power goes off. theres always a tree or powerpole going down whenever it happens. and we've had like 5 thunderstorms in the past month and usually theres only 1 or 2

i'm glad that i live here and over there. no freaky deaky weather over here... exept a lot of flooding when our dikes and dunes colapse :S

My house´s area supposedly holds the record for the most intense lightining storm ever registered. It was in 1997, and there were so many bolts that the night turned day. Ever since they installed many antennas and meteorologist stuff in the surrounding areas but we never had such a heavy thing again.

It seems to be related to the fact that my region´s soil is very rich in iron ore.

Yeah, kinda glad that I don't live in your 'Typhoon Alley' (is that what its called over there?)

As for the weather, it does feel like its getting worse all over the world.
Over here in the UK, its definitely a lot more windy than it normally is, and we've had lots of flooding when we never used to.

I blame it on the Harry Potter phenomenon - too much magic in the air has stuffed our weather up!

Typhoon refers to the same thing as a Hurricane and as a Cyclone, all three words describe the same kind of tropical system, it's just a matter of which ocean they happen to form in (Hurricane = Atlantic, Typhoon = Pacific, Cyclone = Indian)

That´s interesting, and almost correct... <looks up at dictionary.com>:

Typhoon:
A tropical cyclone occurring in the western Pacific or Indian oceans.

Hurricane:
A severe tropical cyclone originating in the equatorial regions of the Atlantic Ocean or Caribbean Sea or eastern regions of the Pacific Ocean, traveling north, northwest, or northeast from its point of origin, and usually involving heavy rains.

Cyclone:
a) An atmospheric system characterized by the rapid inward circulation of air masses about a low-pressure center, usually accompanied by stormy, often destructive weather. Cyclones circulate counterclockwise in the Northern Hemisphere and clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere.

b) A violent tropical storm, especially one originating in the southwestern Pacific Ocean or Indian Ocean.

That's the result of you gas guzzling SUV, the US, the EU and Japan are screwing the world's weather.

Wow, zero to stupid in one post. Most impressive.

Anyway, isn't it the flapping of butterfly wings in Brazil that causes storms, according to chaos theory?

How's the air quality in Rio, Edfilho? Wasn't there some kind of freak hurricane in the South Atlantic a few months ago? Was it just a coincidence? I think not! :p

I was close on the definitions of the storm names...not bad for off the top of my head though...

it's just about formation location

TheRedDuke said:
How's the air quality in Rio, Edfilho? Wasn't there some kind of freak hurricane in the South Atlantic a few months ago? Was it just a coincidence? I think not! :p

I don´t live there but I´ve been there a lot. Rio´s air quality ain´t the worst thing about it, since the sea breeze kinda helps cleaning it up. The problem with Rio is that the weather there is freaking hot, and humid. Good thing they have those beaches over there.

About the hurricane, yes, they called it a "anti-cyclone" and it happened in Santa Catarina, one of the southernmost states of Brazil and a great place to live (got lots of babes too)

Everything you need to know about typhoons, hurricanes, and cyclones:

Typhoons are Asian.
Hurricanes are American.

Europeans and Africans don't get tropical storms, for the most part. (Although many start off warm regions between South America and Africa.) Global warming may change that.

Cyclones are a generic term for large rotating storm systems, coming from the root word "cycle".

Back