Two questions for WC fighter makers.

Shaggy

Vice Admiral
I recently finished a mesh for a Colonial Viper, from battlestar galactica. I was wondering if any of you mod makers out there would be willing to review the mesh and make sure it will work in SO before I start texturing it.

Also where the smeg did you guys get your copies of 3D Studio Max? I really want to get it!

This is kinda off your subject, but since you build models, how do you make your plans? I use top/side/front views off the CIC and if it's not in there I use screenshots. I find planning to be one of the tougher parts.

Well since I'm using Cybermotion 3D, it can export to a 3DS max format, I'm not sure if I'm reading the object information right. Because it lists facets, not polygons, and I've heard that you want to keep the polygon count under 256, or it could cause problems.
Well the Viper is up over 300 right now. I have been able to build more complex and detailed 3D models with Flight Sim Toolkit and it limits you to 256 polygons, regardless of your computer speed. Of course FST was made years ago, the minimum requirements are a 386 processor and eight meg of RAM.
Since I don't have 3D Studio Max, I was hoping someone who did might want to take a look at it. But it doesn't matter, I'll get everything put together and see if it works in SO. If it does great! If it doesn't I'll go back and try again.:cool:

Also, the texture files need to be no bigger than 256x256 in order to ensure that they will work with 3Dfx. You can use multiple texture files for one ship, though.

Back