turrets

U

Unregistered

can't access or modify the turrets?? need help on this

Turrets come with guns, which can't be swapped out. With luck, that will change.

To use them, try the manual ;) Or I'll paraphrase the relevant portion here. press ] to switch to turret view and press it again to get back to cockpit view. Doing this cycles through available turrets (for ships with 2)

Or you can take advantage of the AI. alt-t to have your turrets target your current target. You can then switch to another target and they will continue to target the first ship. ctrl-t toggles their AI on or off.

hmm... is a turret an atomic entry?

or is it a built-up number of entries that include what guns go on it?

#1 would need either : a turret of each gun type (a-la freelancer)
or a recode to allow gun editing on it

#2 would need less of a recode, just something to give you access to the entries defining what guns... (maybe even have different types available on each turret... like a dual turret firing a laser+mass, etc)

-scheherazade

the only thing precluding editing turrets is a good way to have the upgrade computer add the guns to the turret.

make a turret act like a category
when you buy a turret, it adds "turretn #1" or something... to your gun mounts list when buying a gun.

then you buy a gun, and it lists off mounts, and says : (assuming 2 medium mounts, and a single dual medium mount turret)

"medium"
"medium"
"turret #1 medium"
"turret #1 medium"

then choose an empty turret position and place gun there :)

-scheherazade

easier said than done--especially with the interface code that's there... I can hardly touch it without causing big problems...
clearly I don't understand it that well given that I didn't write it in the first place...
*sigh*
maybe someday

thanks,

i have not checked out the source code yet... oh well if i can modify it why not right...

cheers :)
hellcatv said:
easier said than done--especially with the interface code that's there... I can hardly touch it without causing big problems...
clearly I don't understand it that well given that I didn't write it in the first place...
*sigh*
maybe someday

Is possible, in some future release, to have an indication (like a led...) of the status of the turrets?
Its a nasty surprise discover that the turrets are inactive while I think that they are armed and ready...

And just one thing: my turrets doesn't shoot at the kilrathi...
It's my fault or...

ilricca said:
Is possible, in some future release, to have an indication (like a led...) of the status of the turrets?
Its a nasty surprise discover that the turrets are inactive while I think that they are armed and ready...

And just one thing: my turrets doesn't shoot at the kilrathi...
It's my fault or...
They way I do it currently is check myself in 3rd person vie with f5 and make sure the turrets are tracking.. not quite ideal I guess :) There is an indicator for the turrets' current target (little marks like a cross without a center.. can post a pic if needed). We might be able to modify it to reflect the AI status.

Turrets should be able to shoot at anything.. you can force them to shoot at friendly targets, not sure why they wouldn't shoot at Kilrathi. No problem with that here. Be sure they are tracking! (f5 view)

Mmmm...
I wonder: is the AI of the turrets always "on"?
I don't think so, but maybe I have a faulty installation.
In my computer it seems that the AI is (for deafult) off, and when the turrets bring down the taget the AI turn off as well...
If I activate the turrets' AI but I don't give them the order to shoot at my target, they shoot at the nearest enemy target? And the incoming missiles?

@ilricca

Turrets by default are AI=off. You need to activate AI using ctrl+t. Then target object and activate turret tracking with alt+t. Don't know about the deactivation after target destruction though...

@Silverain

ctrl+t & alt+t while 10 Talons fully equipped shoot at me using anything, even softair?!?!?!?!
::eek:
Sigh...
::(

Confed Failsafe

I'm not sure if this was addressed in a recent post. (Havn't seen it yet) But Im having issues with the turrets.
I have a Galaxy and was cruising arround, came accross some Kilrathi... Activated turrets.. No issues there, turrets made easy space salvage of them.
However, later I came accross some Mercenaries who were flying confed military craft (Boadswords and Stilletos)
I was able to have my turrets track however they would not fire at either of the types of ships... this leads me to think that there is an issue with the code that allows you to only attack ships known to be enemies of Confed and not to attack Confed ships.
Sounds like a good failsafe to me that Confed would implement into the coding.

A big problem with Priv1 was the lack of turret AI. Really hard to command a turret while trying to pilot.

Dumpshock said:
However, later I came accross some Mercenaries who were flying confed military craft (Boadswords and Stilletos)
I was able to have my turrets track however they would not fire at either of the types of ships... this leads me to think that there is an issue with the code that allows you to only attack ships known to be enemies of Confed and not to attack Confed ships.
Sounds like a good failsafe to me that Confed would implement into the coding.
Mercenaries in confed ships? Not something that should happen. The only time a faction other than confed flies stilettos or broadswords is when you hire confed pilots as wingmen - they are counted as part of the privateer faction (which otherwise comprises only you).

Be that as it may, if ships belong to a faction that you are not enemies with, turrets will not fire at them. Put more simply, turrets don't fire at friendlies.

MamiyaOtaru said:
Turrets should be able to shoot at anything.. you can force them to shoot at friendly targets, not sure why they wouldn't shoot at Kilrathi.

Well, the game had classified the ships as Merc ships when I killed them, and I was on good terms with Confed (about an 89 with only 1 Confed kill from an earlier friendly fire incident)

Maybe there is a small bug in the programming, who knows, but what I do know is that I was that I was attacked unprovoked in the game and my turrets would not fire. Game saw them as enemies to me. Im going to test this out abit more.

Turrets can be rather dumb at times. A ship from a faction you are friendly with can become hostile to you (if you shoot it or bump it or insult it or whatever). Unfortunately, turrets on't recognize the sudden change in demeanor. They only look at your relationship with the faction, not your relationship with the ship. If you managed to anger a ship from a friendly faction, it would fire at you and your turret wouldn't fire back.

When you are attacked out of the blue owever, it is generally by ships whose faction is hostile to you, so the turrets should have no problem. Had you taken some sort of mission when this happened? Has it ever happened again?

Umm. . . Did you...

Dumpshock said:
Well, the game had classified the ships as Merc ships when I killed them, and I was on good terms with Confed (about an 89 with only 1 Confed kill from an earlier friendly fire incident)

Maybe there is a small bug in the programming, who knows, but what I do know is that I was that I was attacked unprovoked in the game and my turrets would not fire. Game saw them as enemies to me. Im going to test this out abit more.

Did you possibly run a rescue mission?

I learned the hard way that the one or two witnessing ships to your rescue will follow you to the ends of the galaxy to shoot you down until you save and then load the saved game.

Yeah, I died.

Rescue missions are great for rewards, but you have to be careful until you manage to save the game.

No, it wasnt a rescue mission, though it seems the issue was resolved in Beta09

^_^

Glad it was... still working on the ability to spawn paradigms at will by taking various missions.

Are people satisfied with the new turret setup that mamiya patched?

Back