turrets in privateer

wietse

Spaceman
question: If you buy turrets (and guns) for your ship in privateer, do they fire automaticly on enemies or do you have to aim the turret yourself (which means they are pretty useless)?
I cant seem to find it the manual. (or if there is a button to put them on auto fire)

You have to do it manually -- a major complaint circa 1993.

Turret guns are primarily useful for tractor beams, though.

thx.

I just downloaded the game (seems it is freeware or something now).

I wonderded if it is possible in one of the newer wc games to fly a single ship with several persons (with a dual monitor or a network) so one can fly and the other (s) use the turrets.

No, it's not freeware -- it's warez.

There is a multiplayer game, but it's almost as old as Privateer -- Wing Commander: Armada. Doesn't have co-op ships... but there is a co-op mode where you play through the game with your friend.

I know what your talking about. There is stuff called abandonware, and someone says privateer is one apparently.

The concept goes. Game is no longer cutting edge, company won't care if it gets ripped and sent out. While sometimes this is true, it is risky. Some places are anal about copyrights and whatnot.

But it's not a legal concept at all -- akin to saying it's okay to steal old cars because they're worth less.

Companies are 'anal' about their copywrites because failing to defend them means they *lose* said copywrites. Much like how you're probably "anal" about people pulling your arms off.

You could battle cooperatively with a friend in Armada? It's been ages since I played it but I only remember being able to fight against my opponent, in both the Gauntlet or regular strategic playing modes.

Really? If you do, are you both flying simultaneously, being wingmen, and fighting the CPU opponents together? Does the number of CPU opponents change or stay the same as in single player Gauntlet?

Maybe that's why I couldn't beat the Gauntlet and it was so hard...it was designed to be beatable by 2 players only maybe...

He's your wingman, yep. Did you download the patch for Aramda, the one that gives you a password after each gauntlet level? Makes it a lot easier...

Originally posted by Porcupine
Really? If you do, are you both flying simultaneously, being wingmen, and fighting the CPU opponents together? Does the number of CPU opponents change or stay the same as in single player Gauntlet?

Maybe that's why I couldn't beat the Gauntlet and it was so hard...it was designed to be beatable by 2 players only maybe...

Number stays the same... the Gauntlet is *far* too hard without the patch. (The patch for Armada gives you a password after each level so you can come back later).

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
No, it's not freeware -- it's warez.

There is a multiplayer game, but it's almost as old as Privateer -- Wing Commander: Armada. Doesn't have co-op ships... but there is a co-op mode where you play through the game with your friend.

I saw1 that has eather bata or might have been hacked that you could play with multiple players in the same plane but you had to decide your location and stay there(pilot can not move to tail gunner spot).

At a con 8-9 years a go.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Companies are 'anal' about their copywrites because failing to defend them means they *lose* said copywrites. Much like how you're probably "anal" about people pulling your arms off.
I'm going to join the spelling complainers! Hopefully not too often... :D
It's copyright, not copywrite.

And I've got a little question to the copyright experts here:
I've got a book for University (Concepts of Programming Languages - 5th edition) that was released and copyrighted in 2002. Does that mean I may copy it now? ;) Not that I'm planning too, just wondering what the legal implications of this are.

Dutch comedian Herman Finkers (rough translation): "I've got a book with multiplication tables. Let's see what it says: 'Nothing from this book may be multiplied...'"

Back