Turret Cockpit WIP

Heres my sketched idea for a basic WC:pioneer turret. Influenced by WC1/2 cockpits and WW2 bomber turrets, with guns inside the turret over the gunners shoulders and a large-ish window and a small radar to hopefully give it a more civillian feel.
Apologies for the shitty scan :(

Attachments

• turret concept.JPG
    turret concept.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 241
Actually that does look kind of neat, but I do think that the radar and iMFD/power indicator should be a bit bigger than you have in the picture.

Okay, ladies and gents - here's the first turret completed from the concepts you guys have made. This is the tail turret for the Camel - it's built after the concept presented by Maj Striker. The main reason I like it is it's extreme range of movement - a normal ball turret only has about 60 degrees of movement in any given direction. This sucker has almost 85 degrees. The only thing that might be considered a downside is that it looks a bit like the head of an AT-AT from Star Wars. But eh... only a little bit.

http://www.hedfiles.net/wcpioneer/Turret1.mov (750K, Sorensen 3)

Comments?

That's pretty freaking cool Howie. I like it. Chunkier than I would've expected from a turret design but looks great. Is this one of the cheaper turrets? It has a definite weak spot in that if you shot the airlock between the turrent and hull the gunner is trapped until you land... in which case he'd probably die from lack of life support or something like that.

Perhaps tother (pricier?) turrets are better integrated into the hull. The tradeoff being they're less weak but afford greater firepower?

well, the weak point is somewhat misleading - the turret is of course covered by the ship's shields, so and fire would be diffused by that. Also, the weakspot is hidden when the turret is firing at you. Anyhow - I don't plan on haveing cheap and expensive turrets at this point. It'd be more willing to do that if I had more concepts. Nudge, nudge :D

Not quite - the Phalanx doesn't have a turret - it's just the Camel and Hydra. The Hydra has left/right side turrets, not top and bottom.

So you're still in trouble in the Hydra if somebody comes at you from directly behind, huh? The Phalanx sounds a bit more like a pre-Demon than a pre-Centurion--is this the intent?

Close - the Hydra actually has turret convergence to the rear - to an overlap of 15 degrees. You do not want to come at it from the rear. that's four guns tracking you. The only remotely safe place to attack from is straight up. The Phalanx is actually a bit of a mix between a Demon and a Talon. Anyhow, hope this helps.

Howard Day said:
I don't plan on haveing cheap and expensive turrets at this point. It'd be more willing to do that if I had more concepts. Nudge, nudge :D
Call me mister cheap

Attachments

• Turret04.jpg
    Turret04.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 225
  • Turret03.jpg
    Turret03.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 209
What about Millenium Falcon-ish turrets which have fixed windows, but mounted cannons which rotate? The guy's seat on the inside does the turning to match direction.

Thanks, Marc! I'll see if I can alter one of those to be a side turret for the Hydra. I likey the first turret you've got there... very sexy.
Cam: Hmm - it may be a possibility, but I wouldn't bet on it. Those turrets wouldn't have much range of motion, at least if the chair has to move at the same rate as the outside guns.
Remeber, guys - the only turrets wee've got in this game are rear and side turrets - no top turrets.

Hey I noticed you were looking at turret designs and the one on wcnews.net seemed similiar to the turret in the video clips of this fine show here:

http://www.cyberpursuits.com/heckifiknow/saab/videos.asp

Download the clip on the bottom right,
'We done our best: Wang'

Which is the part of the end of the show but it shows the turret off well enough.

Anyway there are some other clips there about battles which may or may not give you some idea's, I know I am borrowing a few ;)

Back