train

Zarathustra

Spaceman
I have a question...does anyone here hate the band train as much as i do? The song drops of jupiter has to be one of the worst songs ever written...the lyrics make no sense, they mean nothing! Yet that song is constantly played on the radio! WHY!?

I don't think Train is that bad. But there are a great deal of other bands/artists I absolutely loathe. Unwritten Law comes to mind. Bloodhound Gang. Avril Lavigne. No-Talent-Ass-Clowns.

First in response to wedge, you are correct, there is plenty of horrid music on the radio, and i do live with it, but train is beyond that. They are horrid, esp. that damn drops of jupiter song, which is three minutes of lyrics that don't mean anything.
And to dralthi, when saying no-talent ass clowns were you refering to ICP? :)

I like to think of myself as being able to listen to (or at least bear) all sorts of music, but there is only so much I can take.

I don't like the off-note 'chorusing' of really old 'songs' (think first half of the 20th century). I also don't like the dominance of (mostly American) R&B (Destiny's Child comes to mind) on Top 40 charts (I used to regularly listen to Top 40 stuff last decade without too many problems).

Oh, and I despise Eminem. His "My Name Is..." was one of the few songs which could force me to plug my ears while desperately (if childishly) chanting "I'm not listening, la, la, la." And the scraping sandpaper 'voice' of Anastacia (she really is a freak) was just as bad. It's always amusing seeing these sort of 'artists' ending up in the bargain bin just a few months after their 'hits'. :)

I guess I could gripe all day, and so could everyone else, so I'll leave it there.

About Bloodhound Gang, well... I've only heard "Fire, Water, Burn" and "The Bad Touch" - I thought they were mildly amusing.

Actually, Anastacia seems to be one of the few female soloists from the past four or five years that I can actually bear listening to. She's probably not more talented than the rest of the lot, but at least her voice is interesting. It's not the sort of voice you'd like to hear every day of your life, but hearing it in a song every once in a while is not too bad.

I've heard voices like that before - I think Shakira edges in that direction for at least a part of her songs (someone chucked her CD on at work once), but I didn't mind it 'cause she varies her singing. There was also another female singer I heard several years back (mid-1990s) who had a similar style, but I can't remember her name. Her song was a remake of an older one - I think the chorus line was "Many rivers to cross, but I can't seem to find..." bah, I forget the rest. Anyway, Anastacia just irritates me, the voice makes it doubly worse.

[Hey, what's wrong with female artists anyway? ;)]

What's wrong with female artists? Well, ever since the record industry in its infinite wisdom decided that a girl's looks are far more important than her talent, female artists have gone down the drain. Mind you, it doesn't help that their songs simply don't have any lyrics worth listening to.

Well, I hardly watch video clips of songs, anyway, so looks (good or bad) tend not to sway me so much.

But maybe we're thinking on different channels again. I'm thinking female artists/singers in general. Are you thinking female soloists?

But, yeah, I can agree with you that looks are way too hyped relative to talent in today's mainstream artists - and with guys too, not just girls. Although, nice looks doesn't necessarily mean that the artist is bad either. :)

I'm thinking female soloists of today. Other female (and male artists) also display the same problems, but they are the most evident with female soloists (since, for obvious reasons, it is in their cases that looks are the most strongly overhyped compared to their talent).
Of course, a singer can be good-looking and talented, but our eyes and ears are constantly pounded with good-looking mediocricity. And, while I certainly don't mind seeing good-looking girls on TV... well, when I listen to an awful song on the radio, it's just no consolation to think "but at least she's good-looking" :p.

Ah, well, yes that certainly seems to be the case with solo artists - for some reason I thought you were bagging out all female musicians.

The top 40 in the UK is currently so poor that I spend more time listening to radio 4 than radio 1. Womans hour during the week tends to be better than 99% of the current playlist. I'm 17 for Christ's sake, radio 1 is meant to remain enertaining for at least another 6-7 years.
I spent several nights with my girlfriend last week and listened to all of her Now albums from the late 1990s. Memories of when the pop industry was actually able to spew out something other than this recycled souless R&B shite. Then we watched mary Poppins. Dick Van Dykes accent has to be the single funniest thing I have every heard.

yea, i listen to talk radio almost exclusively.
i've been know to listen to Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, and Art Bell, but not too much Art, he always has crazy topics. not to mention the local shows, John Corby and Sterling. I just about refuse to listen to music on the radio, they all have their 3 songs everyhour, and I am DAMNED tired of hearing Nelly.
but i will listen to the Oldies station, they play a good variety of songs.

Originally posted by Wedge009
Yes, I said "bagging". Does that have a different connotation or meaning in America?

In the US They say "Hit the sack" means going to bed. Therefore "Bagging a woman" means sex.

Originally posted by WildWeasel
Wow. People still listen to the radio?
Well, it seems so. I don't listen to the radio as much as I used to in high school, but I still do whenever I'm in my room for longer than two minutes.

Originally posted by Knitewing
"Bagging a woman" means sex.
I see. I originally said "bagging out", meaning to mock, to make fun of, ridicule, etc.

Back