Tractoring in Privateer 1

Dundradal said:
god did I ever hate those last few missions when you were on your way to the steltek derelict...asteroids galore

Those missions were walks in the park. There was a neat trick to fool the asteriod field renderer, by moving the flight stick back and forth rapidly, you could afterburn right thru even a heavy asteroid field and not get a scratch. The greatest thing about Privateer and RF was the jump gates, they worked regardless if enemies were present or not. The jump charge delay might be a rough ride as enemies fire at you while your sitting still waiting for the jump engine to charge up..but that was fun too! ;)

Waiting for the jump drive to charge was reeeeally thrilling. Adrenalin all around. One single extra shot could mean death and failure. And it was really great when you finally installed the JD, after flying lots of missions in Troy. Jumping for the first time was an emotion I will never forget.

I actually BROKE a joystick doing the 'roid filed trick. Lame Logitech hardware.

Edfilho said:
Waiting for the jump drive to charge was reeeeally thrilling. Adrenalin all around. One single extra shot could mean death and failure. And it was really great when you finally installed the JD, after flying lots of missions in Troy. Jumping for the first time was an emotion I will never forget.

Indeed! What took only a few seconds seemed like hours when guns were blasting away while awaiting to jump! But yes...an adrenalin rush big time!! :D

Edfilho said:
I actually BROKE a joystick doing the 'roid filed trick. Lame Logitech hardware.

Well, dont worry, a MS Sidewinder 3d Pro couldnt handle the strain either! (CRACK!) ARRGGGHHHH!!!! Time for ebay! :p

Hey! I've been lurking for a while but a Privateer thread popped up again so I couldnt resist. The way I have always tractored was by finding it while in the cockpit, locking onto it and just going to the turret and hitting enter. Works every time. I still play Privateer alot. I love that game, its easily my favorite PC game of all time. BTW tractored cargo can miss you no matter what ship you are in at any speed it just depends. I usually put it in the center of my target reticle and afterburn torwards it. That usually works. BUt the best way to make good money is to buy a Galaxy and start smuggling ultimate, slaves and brilliance. Sometimes you can make over 200,000 profit in one run, the Sherwood-New Caledonia and the Capella-Nexus routes are VERY lucrative, and they arent too well enforced. I love the Fariss quadrant!

jammyo2k said:
I found a good way of getting on good terms with the pirates was to sell a mercenery pilot into slavery (you can tractor in ejected pilots as well as cargo).
I wasn't aware that selling slaves had any effect on factions - I believe only kills make any difference. Even being caught with contraband doesn't count unless you kill the militia/Confed as opposed to evading them.

BTW, switching between the turret and the cockpit while someone is talking to you makes the speech repeat. Sounds amusing sometimes.

Wedge009 said:
BTW, switching between the turret and the cockpit while someone is talking to you makes the speech repeat. Sounds amusing sometimes.

It is also a neat way to prevent a cargo scan. :D

Hello,

I must say, I always had problems with the Tractor, so I never used it and forgot about it. I have to try it again.
RFBurns said:
Indeed! What took only a few seconds seemed like hours when guns were blasting away while awaiting to jump! But yes...an adrenalin rush big time!! :D
:p

and the sound when a you get hit on the hull. It is like a bullet on sheet metal.
Besides about astros, set the speed in a Tarsus to 260 and in a Centurion to 340 I rarely touch an astro. You have enough time to react, despite fighting.

Edfilho said:

I have also broken a Logitech joystick... though it was while playing X-Wing Alliance...

I lately learned of the roid trick...but the first time I played it was long long ago.

There was nothing worse then dodging a bunch of enemies only to be blown to all hell while waiting to jump. It happened to me on a few occasions, although I often found if at the last minute I swung around so that I was now heading towards the enemies with full front shields and armor I would make it almost every time

RFBurns said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge009

It is also a neat way to prevent a cargo scan.

Amazing, the amount of tricks you learn here and nowhere else. I've read a good deal of FAQs and Walkthroughs on this game along the last decade, but I've never read that.

barfly said:
and the sound when a you get hit on the hull. It is like a bullet on sheet metal.

That sound was incredibly efficient... I was really happy when I heard it when shooting someone and terrfied when someone was shooting me. It almost felt like physical pain. A simple game sound effect and so many emotions associated with it. I can hear it, just know.

AdmiralHuang said:
I have also broken a Logitech joystick... though it was while playing X-Wing Alliance...

Laaame hardware. I actually bought a Wingman Extreme Digital and it NEVER worked right.

BarFly said:
...in a Centurion to 340 I rarely touch an astro.
I usually fly at 380 kps in a Centurion while fighting in an asteroid field. I could never do the afterburning trick properly. :(

I can only remember getting blown up while jumping once or twice. Stupid Tarsus. :/

I would have liked to be able to fly the Demon in Privateer--as fast as the Centurion with more agility and a smaller profile, but slightly less armor and only two guns instead of four. The Centurion fit the heavy fighter role (sort of a civilian counterpart to the Rapier), but the game really needed a fast, light fighter too.

Eh, IIRC the Demon is slower (450 kps) on non-AB speed (but faster on AB speed) and has 4 guns (2 Laser and 2 Meson). :)
But I agree I'd have liked to fly it too since it seemed to be ship out on the free market.

And I also agree: the Privateer soiund when the armour got hit was very impressive, especially when you heard it during the jump-sequence. :)

BTW, I managed to be friends with the Kilrathi by clicking very often the chicken-response. Only because someone mentioned you couldn't do much about the Kilrathi.

Making the Kilrathi your space friends was easy....just upset the militia, Confed and Insys patrols and the cats will purr everytime you enter their sector. :D

Even the pirates welcome you with open arms, happily watching your back and paving the way to riches and glory!

If you want a real challenge, check out Mario "HC1" Brito's add on for Privateer, its called "Steltek Endurance". It is quite challenging! The mission can be found at Mario's website. Face waves of Steltek drones as they invade Perry Naval Base. There is no wingmen, there is no backup. You face the drones all alone! Wave after wave!

But fear not! Your equipped with a Centurion loaded with 4 Steltek type II guns up front and the level 3 loadout for shields and engines. Give them green eggs some Burrow's Bacon and welcome the drones to the breakfast table! :D

Ijuin said:
I would have liked to be able to fly the Demon in Privateer

Wonder if someone could make aptch to make the Demon flyable, like the Dralthi and the Stilleto patches. I love those patches lol.

Meh, the Demon felt like a light fighter to me. Aside from the proton torpedoes, they're usually no problem for me to kill. Of course, I don't often do that, unless the plot mission specifies I have to kill Demons.

No surprise it felt too you that way, it is a light fighter. :) I liked fighting Demons don't know why, certainly more than fighting Talons.

I only tried to spare Kilrathi ships. Wasn't too hard there aren't THAT many missions were you encounter necessarily hostile Kilrathi. The only one I remember was that Monkhouse escape mission and there I just turned my tail and ABed away (yes, through the asteroid field and no, I didn't know about the trick (or did not trust him fully) at that time).

Demons only used to really bother me if they were in packs (like the break the blockade mission)

Are you hinting at something, Terran ;)

Besides, I found it quite useful to befriend the Kilrathi in Privateer, I mean they are the only real threat in Privateer, besides asteroids and Confed - and you can't do too much about the latter two. Confed will hate you for a given time in the game because of the smuggling and killing of Militia and asteroids are just so indifferent to your behaviour. So, having not the Kilrathi shoot at me was not a small benefit.

Back