Total newbie - help with Priv (original)

If you have Win98 (whatever edition), you have autoexec.bat and config.sys and dosstart.bat, period. Maybe you have set the folders to not show hidden/system files? You see, the computer will have some difficulty booting up without those files. autoexec and config are in C:\ and dosstart is in C:\windows.

<<If you have Win98 (whatever edition), you have autoexec.bat and config.sys and dosstart.bat, period. Maybe you have set the folders to not show hidden/system files? You see, the computer will have some difficulty booting up without those files. >>

I figured that, too. OK - how to show this config.sys file? Anybody?

If you have Win98 (whatever edition), you have autoexec.bat and config.sys and dosstart.bat, period. Maybe you have set the folders to not show hidden/system files? You see, the computer will have some difficulty booting up without those files. autoexec and config are in C:\ and dosstart is in C:\windows.

not so, 98 does not have dosstart.bat,
and only creates a autoexec.bat and config.sys if u have hardware that requires "real mode" drivers. ie, sound

OK - how to show this config.sys file? Anybody?

open explorer, goto C:, open "tools/folder options"
then goto view, select "Show hidden files and folders"
scroll down, uncheck "Hide protected operating systems files"
click "apply"
then "ok"
and then if u have autoexec.bat and config.sys, they will be in "C:/"

yakitori, you didn't state what sound card you have. If you can't find the dosstart.bat that o'kay. Happy, wrong about the dosstart.bat. Win9x will only create this file if it's have DOS drivers that can be place in it. No DOS drivers, no dosstart.bat.

This is becoming more common. Cheap PCs are being built to run in windows only. Manufactors don't install DOS drivers. I know this from experence.

The sound card is the key. Without a DOS enable sound card you can't hear the game which means you can folow instructions. Also, when I ask you to decribe your machine. What sound card, graphic card, mouse. What version P1 do you have, CD or floppy?

Long thread

Originally posted by Johnl12
yakitori, you didn't state what sound card you have. If you can't find the dosstart.bat that o'kay. Happy, wrong about the dosstart.bat. Win9x will only create this file if it's have DOS drivers that can be place in it. No DOS drivers, no dosstart.bat.

This is becoming more common. Cheap PCs are being built to run in windows only. Manufactors don't install DOS drivers. I know this from experence.

The sound card is the key. Without a DOS enable sound card you can't hear the game which means you can folow instructions. Also, when I ask you to decribe your machine. What sound card, graphic card, mouse. What version P1 do you have, CD or floppy?

OK. Config.sys I found but nothing in it. Or, what should I open it in, to see what's there?

P1 I have with the CD. The sound card is a "compatible" Soundblaster Pro by Creative. Mouse is bog-std PS/2. Graphic card is NVIDIA GeForce2.

Pray, continue. (although I have the weekend off so we will have to do this Monday).

Yaki

yakitori, that "compatible" Soundblaster Pro by Creative. means nothing. Every sound card has this. You need to ID your sound card (make/model).

How did you buy your PC? What it's make/model? (Compaq, emachine, ect..) There are PC's that are design to only work in windows. They have sound chips and not sound cards. Sound chips don't work in DOS. They also don't have the same power that sound cards have. You may need to buy a sound card.

If you can't ID your machine we can't help you.

Originally posted by Johnl12
yakitori, that "compatible" Soundblaster Pro by Creative. means nothing. Every sound card has this. You need to ID your sound card (make/model).

How did you buy your PC? What it's make/model? (Compaq, emachine, ect..) There are PC's that are design to only work in windows. They have sound chips and not sound cards. Sound chips don't work in DOS. They also don't have the same power that sound cards have. You may need to buy a sound card.

If you can't ID your machine we can't help you.

It's a MultiVision PC. Should I look under "multimedia" in control panels? How do I check if I have a sound card?

Thx

yakitori, Which model of MultiVision PC do you have? As far as the sound card is concern check in the Device Manager first. Control Panel > System Icon. It should be under sound. You may need to open the PC to see what kind of sound card it is.

You can also contact MultiVision to find out what sound card you have and if there are any DOS drivers for it. http://www.multivision.co.uk/

Sound card

John

That is where I found the "Creative Labs" Soundblaster Pro or compatible info.

I just printed a 3 page report on the "Sound, Video, & Game Controllers".

Here it is:

Class:Sound, video, and game controllers
Device: Sound Blaster Pro or compatible
Resources:
IRQ: 05
I/O: 0220-022Fh
I/O:0388h-0389h
DMA: 01
Devicedrivers:
C\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mssblst.vxd
File size: 21154 bytes.
Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
File version: 4.03.00.2068
<snip>
C:\WINDOWS\SYSYTEM\mssblst.drv
File size: 40848 bytes
<snip>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\msopl.drv
File size: 17952 bytes

According to "device status" in "system", in Control Panels, the device is "working correctly"

sound card

Alright.

I mailed Multivision to enquire about dos drivers for sound card.
The last thing I want to do is open up the box.

(If I did not have a sound card, would the speakers not work?)

Unfortunately you still haven't been able ID your sound card. The is "Device: Sound Blaster Pro or compatible" only tells us it's compatible to a SB Pro card, but it doesn't tell use what it is. It's like saying I have a tire on my car. But, you don't know the size. If it's a firestone or goodwrench.

Re: sound card

Originally posted by yakitori
(If I did not have a sound card, would the speakers not work?)

well, seeing as your speakers need to be plugged into the sound card to work, the obvious answer is no. Without a sound card, the speakers won't work.

Back