Total newbie - help with Priv (original)

yakitori

Spaceman
Tried to create bootdisk as per game install instructions - followed instructs - in DOS just get a message "can't find CD", and "JEMM unloaded". (Yes, the CD is in the drive and bootdisk is in too).I guess DOS was not made for ijits like me?
Win 98, PII, what else do you need to know?
Checked the other threads here, but they make about as much sense as the wife's credit card statements.....................

Help.....

BTW, attemped to install without soundcard or voice (as this is my work machine w/o speakers).

Try adding something like MSCDEX to your autoexec, and Config.sys?

I don't have my Config in front of me, but it's something like

[Config.sys]
DEVICE=C:\DOS\OAKCDROM.SYS /D:CDROM

[Autoexec.bat]
C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:CDROM /L:<CD Drive Letter>

Post your Autoexec.bat, Config.sys and tell me what sound card you have, and i'll be happy to help you as much as i can. There are other Amazingly helpfull people here who will also help you, but the requested files are a nesesity.

Also, try going to the CD drive (ex d: ) and looking at the directory, (type dir) then try loading priv. it worked for me.

Post your Autoexec.bat, Config.sys and tell me what sound card you have, and i'll be

Haltie.

And how do I find these out?

<<Post your Autoexec.bat, Config.sys and tell me what sound card you have, and i'll be happy to help you as much as i can. >>

Thx

Open a little program called Notepad.

>> Programs >> Accessories >> Notepad

Then, File > Open > C:\autoexec.bat
Copy that entire file into here.

THEN, before submitting the post,
File > Open > C:\config.sys
(If you're asked to save changes, click NO)
Copy THAT entire file into here.

Then, post. :)

Anagram

Here's the Auto Exec result

PATH=%PATH%;"C:\Program Files\Mts"

OK we could not locate any config.sys type files

What now?

I used to play Priv quite happily on a mate's old 486 7 odd years ago - but now...............???

Anagram (config.sys)

Yes, actually, there _is_ a "config.sys" file but notepad shows nothing. It was modified 4th jan o1, for some reason. Got the PC about then, I think.

Long Thread

Starkey <<This is gonna be a LONG thread >>

Thank you. What I would be quite happy for is for a UK based gamer to do tech advice over the phone. That would be a whole lot simpler and a lot less hassle for you intelligent guys.

Thanks

Yaki

Drivers

Do these sound right?

CD ROM.... c:\WINDOWS\INF\MSCDROM.INF

Mouse

C:\Windows\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD

Still puzzled about what they mean by the name of the CD-rom

surely not just " privateer"

help - I just want to play....

Re: Long Thread

Originally posted by yakitori
Thank you. What I would be quite happy for is for a UK based gamer to do tech advice over the phone. That would be a whole lot simpler and a lot less hassle for you intelligent guys.
Thanks
Yaki

Calm down... just giving you the standard rookie treatment around here. And if you think ´I´ am mean, try the "General WC" Forum, type "LeHah and Frosty suck" then come back here... ;)

You are not obliged to know DOS (config, autoexec, etc.), since those were complicated programs 10 years ago, for people used to work with them. Seriously, now, let me give you a piece of advice: try putting your questions, ideas and comments in order, I will try to help you out but you need to be more clear about your doubts. And please make less posts, try writing everything you need, in a clear way, and in ONE post.

Let´s start over, ok?

Click on "Start", "Programs", "Applications", "Notepad", "File",
"Open", "Type of file", "All files", go to your root directory (c:\), click on config.sys, then open.

Copy the content of the file and paste it here. Do the same to the file "autoexec.bat".

Then we will be able to help you out. About EA´s tech support, if they had one, it wouldn´t be better than this chat zone. But you better adapt to our jokes fast or you can get pissed off quite often.

No hard feelings, ok? Welcome to the WC Chat Zone! :)

Long ish thread

http://www.blacklance.org/loaf/tech...vater.html#boot

Guys. I followed the suggestions for config.sys and autoexec.bat

from this page, supposedly it represents the old Origins tech support pages.

I located my CD Rom and Mouse drivers thru Windows help

(C:\WINDOWS\INF.MSCDROM.INF) I presume it should all be in caps for DOS?

I made a boot disk using these suggestions verbatim, where it says insert CR Rom name, I used PRIVATER.

Then tried to run the game using the boot disk & CD. Error message says"Privateer CD not found.
JEMM unloaded"

I am stuck.

Hey, and my old man was a programming fiend, to boot. I remember going to an interview at IBM - passed the aptitude test, flunked the interview. Age & dope definitely do mash those brain cells.

Re: Long ish thread

http://www.blacklance.org/loaf/tech...vater.html#boot

Guys. I followed the suggestions for config.sys and autoexec.bat

from this page, supposedly it represents the old Origins tech support pages.

I located my CD Rom and Mouse drivers thru Windows help

(C:\WINDOWS\INF.MSCDROM.INF) I presume it should all be in caps for DOS?

I made a boot disk using these suggestions verbatim, where it says insert CR Rom name, I used PRIVATER.

Then tried to run the game using the boot disk & CD. Error message says"Privateer CD not found.
JEMM unloaded"

I am stuck.

The page is indeed an old Origin support page, preserved by our WC-encyclopedia-friend, Ben "LOAF" Lesnick.

Your CD-Rom drivers are wrong. You should use something like "sbcd.sys" on config.sys and another drive called "mscdex.exe" on autoexec.bat.

Do you know anyone near you (neighbor, relative) who is familiar with DOS and can talk to us here in the CZ? That would make things easier. No joke, but apparently you really don´t know even what is config.sys and autoexec.bat, and that makes things a lot tougher.

If you don´t know anyone, do not worry, we´ll keep trying.

Re: Drivers

Do these sound right?

CD ROM.... c:\WINDOWS\INF\MSCDROM.INF

Mouse

C:\Windows\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD

Still puzzled about what they mean by the name of the CD-rom

surely not just " privateer"

help - I just want to play....

Those are the Windows drivers.

First tell us about your PC. What make/model. What sound card and OS? From the Run command on the start button type "sysedit" and post the autoexec.bat and config.sys, also do a find files for "dosstart.bat" right click on it and choose "edit" and post it too.

Thanks for all the fish

Guys.

I really must go home and have a lie down.........

I will return tomorrow & we will solve my little problem

Cheers

Yaki

Johnl12

<<First tell us about your PC. What make/model. What sound card and OS? From the Run command on the start button type "sysedit" and post the autoexec.bat and config.sys, also do a find files for "dosstart.bat" right click on it and choose "edit" and post it too.>>

OK. we will begin from the beginning:

AMD Duron chip, 700Mhz, 128meg of Ram.

Win 98SE

OK. From sysedit we have this info (autoexec.bat)
PATH=%PATH%;"C:\Program Files\Mts"

and (config.sys) nothing in the folder (!) is this a cause for alarm?

Finding dosstart.bat (nothing found).

Pray continue

Yaki

Back