Too good to be true?

Nah, it's not necessarily a great deal. So they're offering a TB of storage? So what? Have you maxed your Hotmail or Yahoo accounts? It's not how much storage that is offered but how big the email transfer is that matters. Honestly, what good is having a TB of storage if you can only send 10MB emails?

None at all. I don't need that much storage, but, offering someone 1tb of storage for free must mean somethings awry. It would be ridiculously expesnive to give a lot of people that much storage.

It's no more expensive than offering 100mb of space, for the simple reason that users will use the same amount of space regardless of whether their space limit is 100mb or 1tb. It's basically a bluff - they know no individual user will ever use more than a fraction of the space they offer, so it doesn't cost them anything to offer them so much space.

It's the same with Gmail, of course - unless you receive emails with 50mb attachments or something, there is simply no way you will ever accumulate 1gb worth of mail in your mailbox.

Oh we're up past 2GB now...

The point is not how much space you need to store your email, it's how quickly you can exploit the system to turn it into a gigantic, free FTP monster for your own nefarious purposes.

Again...with the 10mb limit...makes it pretty much worthless in my opinion. Sure one or two people might exploit the system but for the most part the terrabyte promise is just a bluff. It's like promising somone 1000 lbs of Baking Soda. Sure a couple of people might get all excited but your average shopper won't ever need 1000 lbs so they'll never take advantage of it.

Quarto said:
It's no more expensive than offering 100mb of space, for the simple reason that users will use the same amount of space regardless of whether their space limit is 100mb or 1tb. It's basically a bluff - they know no individual user will ever use more than a fraction of the space they offer, so it doesn't cost them anything to offer them so much space.

It's the same with Gmail, of course - unless you receive emails with 50mb attachments or something, there is simply no way you will ever accumulate 1gb worth of mail in your mailbox.
I already passed 1 Gb on Gmail . It happened in 5 months. I receive a Lot of funny clips & pics and it fills up real quick if you don't throw away most of the large attachments.

Maj.Striker said:
It's like promising somone 1000 lbs of Baking Soda. Sure a couple of people might get all excited but your average shopper won't ever need 1000 lbs so they'll never take advantage of it.

I could definitely find uses for 1000 pounds of baking soda.

I am up to 0.6 Gig storage space for e-mails so far for something like 10 years on the web. 1Tb is just a rediculous ammount if really only used as mail storage.

And as bandwidths grow wider and wider, many of us are using such enormous mailboxes for storage/backup purposes, thus getting rid of those old backup CDs.

Back