Tonnage

ChanceKell said:
Just to clarify, I believe that tonnes is just the European plural version (the more accurate) of "tons."

This thread makes me sad.

A tonne is a metric unit meaning 1 000 kg. It is a completely different unit than the ton.

TC said:
This thread makes me sad.

But ... just ... how ... sad! Let's find out!

[21:00] <TC> This thread makes me seven types of sad: http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?p=191502#post191502
[21:01] <mercury> wow, seven
[21:02] <TC> yeah
[21:02] <Viper> hehe, thats not half as bad as the pissing contest overmortal and I get in pretty much everytime he posts something stupid
[21:02] <TC> yes it is
[21:02] <TC> because that's just you two being stupid
[21:02] <TC> this is gross ignorance and people talking out of their asses when they don't know what the hell they're talking about
[21:02] <Viper> lol
[21:04] <TC> ignorance is worse that stupid
[21:04] <TC> stupid can't be fixed, so you can't really blame the people for it
[21:04] <TC> you can only pity them
[21:05] <Viper> On a side note, I'm a big fan of stats and all, but I could really care less how much the damn thing weighs/how massive it is/etc
[21:06] <TC> Eh, I've been inside and outside these stats more than almost anyone, playing with mat
[21:06] <Frosty> I think I learned in sixth grade that mass and weight are equal in a 1G environment like Earth. That Murray guy must be 10.
[21:06] <TC> math for idiotic reasons, and I agree
[21:06] <TC> No they aren't...
[21:06] <TC> not even in american units...
[21:07] <mercury> yay, round one
[21:07] <mercury> fight!
[21:07] <Viper> hehe
[21:08] <Frosty> If the ship is 500 tons it won't weigh 500 tons on earth:
[21:08] <Frosty> ?
[21:08] <TC> mass != weight... I don't punch people for saying weight when they mean mass or mass when they mean weight because everyone knows what they're getting at and to be pedantic is jack-assy, but they aren't the same
[21:08] <TC> a ton is a measure of weight
[21:09] <TC> so neither of the things you just said were mass
[21:09] <Frosty> No but there is an equivalency which exists here that doesn't in the depths of space.
[21:09] <TC> there's an equivilancy everywhere
[21:09] <Frosty> Mass is the amount of stuff, weight is how much it weighs, yes?
[21:09] <Frosty> Mass never changes, weight always does, yes?
[21:10] <TC> weight doesn't *always* change...
[21:10] <Frosty> Okay not *always*
[21:10] <mercury> okay, I hereby delare the winner to be me, as I'm not arguing over mass and weight
[21:10] <Frosty> But let's say it's different on the moon.
[21:10] <TC> yes
[21:10] <TC> but you said mass and weight are the same thing on earth... they really, really aren't
[21:11] <Viper> I'm with Frosty on this one, at 1G an objects mass is its weight is it not?
[21:11] <Frosty> Okay I did, but I didn't mean it the way it came out.
[21:11] <TC> no...
[21:12] <Frosty> There's still something that rubs me the wrong way about "What is "73000 tonnes of mass" equal to our metric system? I mean how many tonnes of earth wieght would that make? Is there a conversion unit or something?"
[21:12] <TC> that's because a tonne is a unit of mass
[21:12] <TC> so it's idiotic
[21:13] <TC> a tonne is a tonne
[21:13] <TC> using metric, people generally talk about mass, and not weight, despite what language they use
[21:13] <TC> using imperial, people generally talk about weight, and not mass
[21:13] <mercury> TC, story
[21:14] <TC> hell, most people don't know what a slug is.
[21:14] <mercury> it's like a snail
[21:14] <Frosty> Also, Balrog is saying that because WC fighters are bigger, they are *necessarily* more massive. And that's not right either. I mean they probably are more massive, and probably because they're bigger but they don't have to be :(
[21:14] <Frosty> A slug is a tiny animal.
[21:14] <Frosty> Oh Weasel beat me.
[21:14] <TC> a slug is the imperial unit of mass :(
[21:14] <TC> yeah, he's stupid
[21:15] <TC> we have given masses for ships
[21:15] <TC> their density is inanely low
[21:15] <TC> insanely, even
[21:15] <TC> relatively consistent, but insanely low
[21:15] <TC> I've done all the math for idiotic spacebattles arguments
[21:18] <mercury> you partake in those idiotic SpaceBattles arguments, though, so what's your opinion worth?
[21:19] <Viper> okay, I'm still confused, I apparently didn't pay much attention in physics class . . . I weigh 175 lbs, which is about 80 kg (as a weight), my mass is 80 kg on earth. Maybe I'm just assuming kg can be a measure of weight also
[21:19] <TC> 80 kg isn't a weight
[21:20] <TC> 80 kilograms is, at 1g, 785 Newtons
[21:20] <TC> 785 newtons is a weight
[21:20] <mercury> damn, I could go for some Fig Newtons
[21:20] <Viper> strawberry ones
[21:20] <mercury> no
[21:20] <mercury> those are not good
[21:20] <Viper> I don;t care for the normal figs
[21:21] <mercury> well, wait
[21:21] <mercury> the funky strawberry shortcake or whatever ones I had probably ruined strawberry for me
[21:21] <mercury> they had some strange cream filling or sorts that sucked the life out of it
[21:21] <mercury> normal strawberry is probably fine
[21:21] <Viper> okay, I guess I'm just used to hearing people use it incorrectly saying 'I weigh such and such kilograms'
[21:22] <Viper> I think I've only had strawberry and the normal kind
[21:22] <TC> people refer to pounds as mass, too
[21:22] <TC> people are stupid
[21:22] <mercury> there's some other vile kind out there
[21:22] <mercury> avoid it at all costs
[21:22] <mercury> it'll make you hate strawberry

I guess that's what happens when you quote someone from IRC without permission, huh? Not even the cute anime swabbie either... must really be banned this time.

No, that's what happens when someone who isn't TC gets annoyed at you... My bans don't get cute pictures...

TC said:
How is that reasoning?

It states, quite clearly, that the unit refers to 1 000 kilograms. A ton is not equivilant to 1 000 kilograms.

Which ton? A metric ton is 1000 kilograms, as I noted before. However, a short ton is .9 metric tons (907 kilograms), while a long ton is 1.016 metric tons (1017 kilograms), and displacement tonnage is based on the long tons of water which has its own gravity and volume to be figured into things as well. :D

TC said:
How is that reasoning?

Out of the four definitions from three different sources, a tonne is defined twice as a metric ton while once as 1,000 kg, which, right beside it, mentions the synonym is "metric ton." Seeing that Wing Commander uses the metric system, a tonne is 1,000 kg.

Anyways, while comparing real life naval ships with WC naval, could it be that real life tonnage refers to displacement, while WC ships refer to mass?

Okay... 1 metric ton, or a tonne is 1,000 kg. Or 2,205 lbs.

So, 1,000 tonnes is equivalent to around 1,100 tons.

These ships come out very light. My idea is to simply multiply a tonne by a meter. 3.281 times 2,205 = 7,234.605 lbs

Concordia = 3.281 x 73,000 = 239,513 tonnes (regular tonnes)
Movie Snakeir = 3.281 x 67,000 = 219,827 tonnes (IIRC, Blair's readout said 200,461 tons-- maybe it was running low on fuel? Either way, it's close to my estimate...)

Just an idea,

-Concordia

Aren't we all forgetting something crucial?

If a ships MASS is the amount of SPACE it occupies, and we're measuring in a Vacumn instead of in the Ocean, then wouldn't the space it occupied include the air inside of the ship as well? Or would that just be considered volume?

Measuring in an ocean, IE: In atmosphere, this would become a moot point. But it's a bit differant to measure in nulllo. Or am I wrong?

Last I saw you had that power, but I'm beginning to enjoy this a little. . . in a sick, twisted, chew-your-leg-off-to-get-out-of-a-bear-trap sort of way.

C-ya

Back