Tolwyn and the Nephilim

Dahan said:
No it wasn't normal
The way I see it but then I can be wrong is that the war with the Kilrathi changed Tolwyn, he wanted the perfect military but he did things the wrong way, he could have trained the soldiers and officers better, build better ships, research better technology all without tampering with human experiments. That is only one point of view from the hundreds and thousands of other peoples opinion

In the end Tolwyn admitted to himself that the bio-convergence was a mistake but he still thought that the genetically enhanced soldiers were needed.

My guess is that he was primarily greedy for power more than that he desired perfect warriors. When a power hungry egomaniac has a chance like he had, you have to watch out. We're talking about him becoming basically the ruler of the galaxy if he pulls off his plan. That kind of possibility is hard to turn down for someone like Tolwyn.

His plan was full of lies and deception in order to serve his own self interest. He had to motivate the Black Lance Forces by appealing to their egos- he knew just how to push their buttons to get them to believe they were justified in killing innocent people as part of Tolwyn's plans for undermining and wrestling control from Confed. He also knew how to push the buttons of Taggert, the senate, Blair, Maniac, etc., by appealing to law, order, and peace in the Galaxy. I don't think it was that he deeply desired "genetic perfection" as he manipulated the Black Lance with or "law, order, and peace" that he manipulated the rest of Confed with. Rather, it's my guess that he simply saw these as the most efficient means to his rulership of the galaxy.

As to the question of whether or not Confed would've been better off had Tolwyn won out, I'd have to say no. If Tolwyn was the better commander, Blair wouldn't have defeated him. Also, Confed would've probably been weakened from the bio-bombings. It could've caused riots throughout all of Confed/Border Worlds territory. Also, the people who survived might make great warriors, but not necessarily great scientists and engineers. Imagine Seether trying to design next generation weapons. Given that WC4 closely parallels Nazi Germany in WW2, the very scientists who may have helped design next generation weaponry to fight the Nephilim may have been "weeded out". The parallel example from Nazi Germany would be when Einstein was not welcome in Germany then later played a critical role in developing the atomic bomb, the very weapon which could've allowed Germany to win WW2.

Back