To JOYSTICK or not to JOYSTICK? THAT is the question!

Well...

I never played the WC-series with a joystick! Why? I played all my games with keyboard and mouse only, so I became addicted to kind og gaming style.
And the other point is that I don´t own a joystick. ;)

But WC was very good to play, even without joystick.

Oh, it's so much more fun to play WC with a joystick. The mouse control is really not very good, and the keyboard lacks precision. WC1 and 2 are pretty much doable, but 3 and 4 can get problematic.

I didn't mind playnig Freelancer with the mouse, tought.

EDIT: I did play WC1, 2 and 3 with the keyboard, however, so I get the experience. I finished WC2 with a somewhat cheap joystick too, and it was fun. Then I got a nice CH Flightstick Pro. Now I have a Sidewinder Precision Pro 2.

Privateer was not good with the keyboard. The ship would navigate on a sort of "grid", so you could not point it where you wanted. Because the guns are fixed, it made it hard to target enemy ships on a distance. Supposedly a joystick would make it easier, but I don't remember if I played it that way.

Hehe, the first WC game I ever played (WCII) was packaged with a Gravis joystick - only I never figured out how to get it to work with the game, and eventually just used the mouse. I still play it that way to this day.

(Incidently, I've played every other WC game with a joystick except WCII)

Bob McDob said:
Then there's the games that go all the way *cough*SteelBattalion*cough*
What know you, boy, of The Game?
GeeBot said:
--edit2--
Another interesting sidenote on this whole thought control business... the Macross anime series actually sorta dealt with this. The original series exclusively used mechanical controls, foot pedals and a billion buttons and joysticks, basically. The mechanical nature of the original series was made absolutely clear by the Macross Plus follow-on, which pitted a conventional fighter against a thought control one (the thought control one had a nasty habit of translating one pilot's surpressed anger at the other test pilot into homicidal action).
You would be exceedingly surprised of what a pilot of a giant robot is capable of accomplishing with 40 buttons and a couple joysticks.

Frosty said:
What know you, boy, of The Game?You would be exceedingly surprised of what a pilot of a giant robot is capable of accomplishing with 40 buttons and a couple joysticks.

Oh, you mean like the mechwarrior simulator pods that I used to drool over when I was playing the original Mechwarrior? I recall reading about those and how prior to actually playing the game they would give you a 15 minute course on how to use the controls. Man, that would've been awesome to play.

Ein-7919 said:
Man, that would've been awesome to play.
You can still play that stuff, there's Battletech Centers or Virtual Worlds - or whatever the heck they're called this week - all over the country.

That would be pretty cool. As for sticks...I played through WC1 and 2, as well as some of Privateer, without a joystick. I then got X-Wing, the original one...played that with a Gravis Gamepad. Bought Descent. Keyboard. Descent 2. Keyboard. FINALLY ended up getting a Gravis stick to compete with the guys online. Never looked back. Got a Thrustmaster Top Gun (TM Sticks ROCK) and kicked more ass. Got Crimson Skies. Loved it with the stick. Had to leave the Top Gun behind going to university (my brother technically owned it, lol) and bought a Logitech Wingman Extreme 3d (the good one, w/out force) - not bad. Sadly I can't get the Top Gun Fox Pro 2 in Canada...:( I really want one of those...

Frosty said:
You can still play that stuff, there's Battletech Centers or Virtual Worlds - or whatever the heck they're called this week - all over the country.

I remember reading about one of the early ones in chicago more than 10 years ago...they always seemed like it would be an awesome time...too bad they don't have something like that for serious wingnuts....

then I should probably bring up the fact I'm pretty sure that I've turned an old '77 buick I found into a functioning jump drive....see ya on New Detriot!

Back