tips for wc2's last mission

d3r3k

Spaceman
im having trouble on the last mission, specifically taking out the prince. i smack him with my two spiculum's on the first pass, but after that i have trouble getting one or two hits on him with my cannons. ive tried letting him get behind me and shooting him up with my rear turrett, but that only results in my death.

Make wise use of your ABs and try to get deflection shots on him when possible, use your missiles wisely try to take down his shields with your guns first before firing off the missiles, that way you might get more core damage over just taking down the shields...

I prefer the "sit-and-kick" tactics, just slow down and turn with him in a lag pursuit, shooting him up every few passes when you can. It gets a little nauseating and time consuming, but eventually he'll start to change his turning rate and let you gain progressively better firing aspects on him (seems common with the WC2 AI). I did this and I got him the first time I faced him, which really suprised me.

It's definately recommended to knock down shields with the guns before launching missiles.

BTW, I don't remember: does Thrakhath use chaff pods in WC2?

as in all dogfights each wing commander, don't get overconfident and concentrate, keep twisting and turning until you get a sure shot...

i remember (especially from wing commander 1 up to privateer 1 and armada), each time i got a new ship to pull a frontal up to whatever it was that came up in front of me, taking one down and ended up behind them, twisting, turning and accelerating away as fast as i could because my shields were down and most of my front armor was gone, and probably just had one of my guns left :rolleyes:
I did learn however how to make two pursuers fly into each other(this even worked in wing commander III !)

still wondering how those mods turn out, i would like to compare a sabre or a morningstar to a panther or vampire...

Probably not very well as the panther and vampire have 10 more years of advancements on them. If you look at what the landreich and UBW were flying against confed top of the line models in the novels you can see that older ships usually do not compare well...in FC the discovery that the Karga's flight wing was more or less intact was a great boost to landreich fighter strength...

usually is the right word, but the firepower and manouverability of the morningstar was ridiculous...

also, i have my doubt about comparing pure numbers in the wing commander universe inbetween games... the vampire's armor plating should be nearly 15 times as thick(it is indicated in centimeters, not in strength!) as the armor on the tiger's claw?

Advances in armor technology, a sample of which we saw in Privateer/RF, with Tungsten and (later) Isometal to replace the starting Durasteel armor. The values from Privateer onwards are in CM equivalent of Durasteel (as in 1 cm of Armor X provides the equivalent protection of Y cm thickness of Durasteel), not actual physical thickness.

well.. that might be an explanation, i can live with that.

what do you make of a vesuvius being equally or more manouverable than a raptor?

Just about everything BL is munchkintech (if "canon" munchkintech), as far as I'm concerned. You don't want to ask me that question. Really. :D

thanks for the tips guys.

i finally beat the mission and now im working through the special operations.

what do you make of a vesuvius being equally or more manouverable than a raptor?

The WC1 'maneuver' values should probably be treated as some sort of alternate scale - the ships clearly maneuver more quickly than ten degrees per second...

d3r3k said:
thanks for the tips guys.

i finally beat the mission and now im working through the special operations.

are you on your first time through the games??

If so there's nothing better than seeing it all for the first time...

I remember the last mission in WC2 giving me a hard time because of those blasted Drakhai-flown Sarthas, not because of Thrakhath. Actually, I think I may have had a bit of bad luck with K'Titherak Mang, too. I was never particularly fond of WC2 torp runs.

yes, this was my first run through the game. i had beaten wc1 one when it came out on the pcg cd.

yeah, the sartha's were a problem for me. i had beaten thrakhath, with only my left sector of armor remaining. i killed two of the sarthas before one got behind me.

my second serious attempt, i faired much better against thrakhath.

oh man! i love the torp runs. it's such a rush. going head on into the flak, keeping it steady till around two thousand meter, letting her fly and then pulling up and slamming on the burners.

truly, an experience.

Back