Time for a New Joystick

He's probably talking about the THROTTLE control. I dunno about the Saitek here, but every throttle I had had plenty of cable to place it wherever I wanted to suit my left hand.

Thanks for the fresh input guys.
Chris, The Logitech Freedom is probably top of my cheap choices new, but this is the 2nd Logitech Force3D I've had pack up and I'm not convinced I want to go down the Logitech route again.
I was never totally happy with the feel of the Logitech anyway.

It will probably be an X45 on the cheap. I can't really afford the X52 being honest with myself, but there are a couple of ebay auctions in the next few days so you never know...

And the seperate throttle is what really swings it for me. HOTAS here I come!

criticalmass said:
You've got me swayed onto that topic, now I'm thinking about getting a new one too. But allow me a question: What do you do with the separate rudder unit - just place it on the desk before you and play like a squirrel? Or is there enough cable to set it up on a small table beside you as in a real plane?

Yeah, there is plenty of cable to place the throttle and/or the joystick up to a good distance apart. Probably 5 foot cable on each (guesstimate).

I know Chris swears by Logitech but I had the Logitech Wingman (Pro I think?) and I had to constantly recalibrate that joystick in games and center deadzones all the time. I don't know what all you guys measure a joystick by but I tell you when I've had a Saitek joystick that I've not one single time had to calibrate it or center a deadzone, that really rates highly in my expectations. Saitek makes a quality stick that if you can afford them, they'll last you as long as you want to play. :)

terroshak said:
Thanks for the fresh input guys.
Chris, The Logitech Freedom is probably top of my cheap choices new, but this is the 2nd Logitech Force3D I've had pack up and I'm not convinced I want to go down the Logitech route again.
I was never totally happy with the feel of the Logitech anyway.!

Some Logitechs are better than others. The Freedom is probably the smoothest feeling joystick I've ever used.

terroshak said:
It will probably be an X45 on the cheap. I can't really afford the X52 being honest with myself, but there are a couple of ebay auctions in the next few days so you never know...

And the seperate throttle is what really swings it for me. HOTAS here I come!

No separate throttle, but a brand new Freedom is about $45.

AD said:
Arent you supposed to control rudder *peddals* with your feet?

You don't if you fly the way I do..:p - So its just a throttle? Maybe I should've read the specs more closely. Well, that changes things a bit, unless you could reconfigure functions. I'm looking for a second unit to use like in a chopper - blade pitch, which would translate into an upward/downward strife. But I think I'll get one anyway, I've already lost three ebay auctions. Thanks for the info, Striker.

Hi Chris. I'm sure the Freedom is better than the Wingman Force3D I've had, but in the UK they retail at £35-40 which is about $60-70. At that price it makes it a pricey joystick when the old stock X45s are being sold off around the same price.
Besides I'd forget to change the batteries. :)

If you want the best Saitek ever made hit the X35/36 USB. :)

as re: the Logitech Freedom, it's a beautifully smooth stick but the lack of baseweight plus the stiff springs give it a tendency to come off the desk during abrup movement, and the stick as a whole almost feels delicate. Probably not a concern unless you're a 230-lb guy with large hands. Otherwise it's sharp, precise, and has great battery life for a wireless joystick.

criticalmass said:
You don't if you fly the way I do..:p - So its just a throttle?

Most seperate throttle units come with a rocker on them that acts as a rudder. Saitek is one such example.

The Freedom is not good for simulators, just arcade stuff. There is a small lag, bad for precision gaming, and the throttle is not very good. So, if you're just going to play WC and stuff like Crimson Skies, the Freedom is fine. If you wanna play Flight Sims, get a saitek combo, either the X45 or the 52.

On the x52 I've heard several people who bought it just for the throttle alone...I'm not such a person, but there are those who have. :) I don't think you'll be disappointed with the x45, Terroshak.

Edfilho said:
The Freedom is not good for simulators, just arcade stuff. There is a small lag, bad for precision gaming, and the throttle is not very good. So, if you're just going to play WC and stuff like Crimson Skies, the Freedom is fine. If you wanna play Flight Sims, get a saitek combo, either the X45 or the 52.

I can't detect any lag whatsoever, and the throttle and buttons and such are plenty for something like MS Flight Simulator here.

terroshak said:
Besides I'd forget to change the batteries. :)

Modern wireless stuff is pretty easy on the batteries. This joystick, my Wavebird, 360 controllers, etc, can get a good 40-50 hours on a pair of AAs.

Back