Thoughts on various WC ships

Regarding SM3, mission 10 is beatable... Just read the guide I posted. Mission 16 is also beatable, it's just that you have to quit the game once you reach the Austin Nav. So there shouldn't be any major bugs.

I recently noticed that the Concordia-Class carrier in Speradon is pretty much immune to leeching. I guess the mission designers didn't want the mission to be too easy.

Say, is there any way to notice that you are damaging the carrier's engines? They seem to keep the same colour even when they're damaged.

Going from the WC 3 manual stats, the Tachyon deals 70 damage whereas the Plasma only deals 67 at a higher energy consumption, lower refire rate and shorter range.

But I think the Plasma is sexier than the Tachyon.

Yeah but at what range? I always accepted that the Tach did more damage then the plasma further out. But when firing point blank (which happened a couple of times in WC4), it just always seemed like the plasma was doing the most damage.

That's what I thought too... I was surprised to read that the Tachyon supposedly deals more damage.

By the way, I've noticed that you can see the carrier's engines explode when you've damaged them enough... but it seems you may also have to do 50% damage (or more) to the carrier in order to actually win the mission (destroying the engines and the turrets isn't enough, apparently).

The Wing Commander IV Tachyon Gun is more effective in almost every way. It does more damage, uses less energy, has a longer range, is faster and has a lower recharge requirement. The Plasma Gun only beats it in duration...

I recently noticed that the Concordia-Class carrier in Speradon is pretty much immune to leeching. I guess the mission designers didn't want the mission to be too easy.

Say, is there any way to notice that you are damaging the carrier's engines? They seem to keep the same colour even when they're damaged.

They "explode" a little then turn into a damaged texture when they have been destroyed.

By the way, I've noticed that you can see the carrier's engines explode when you've damaged them enough... but it seems you may also have to do 50% damage (or more) to the carrier in order to actually win the mission (destroying the engines and the turrets isn't enough, apparently).

That's correct. It's 50% damage that's the key here. If you do take out the engines, they will "pop' as Dundradal said.

I think you do have to make the engines blow up, though. I once tried damaging the carrier after destroying the turrets but not the engines, and it ended up destroyed instead of disabled. The funny thing is that the engines may get destroyed during the fight with the Hellcats and the turrets, so you may not always see them blow up. I think it might have been better to mention that you need to do 50% damage in addition to the first two objectives.

EDIT : I can't believe I forgot to include the Dragon in the enemy list... Oh well, apart from their cloaking ability they usually aren't that bad as long as you have some AB fuel left.

A tip on fighting Dragons if you are flying a Banshee--don't use the lasers. The Dragon will simply cloak and repair its shields before you can kill it. If you can't spare a missile, then the leech guns work better, since those bypass the shields.

I usually prefer to use the leech cannons for mission-specific objectives, due to the "next wave won't appear" bug. When fighting Dragons with a Banshee, I tend to use the Scatter Cannon - it's very powerful at close range.

Well I do believe that if you leech a fighter and then blow it up with regular guns the next wave will appear anyway?

Yes... But it feels kind of dumb. :p

I'm not saying using leech cannons is a bad strategy, mind you, it's just that I don't use them much.

Back