This has been bugging me for some time now...

Zim

Spaceman
I wonder...

@ how much G's does a standard, let's say, Confed transport travel? Cause if it would be like, 2 G's, then it would be like this:

"Let's go to that moon that circles around the planet we're stationed at"

"4 AU distance? Ok. See you in a coupla years"

I mean, if there is no jumphole between the planet and its moon, and the moon would have to be resupplied, how would they do that? It would take years!

-- This is a problem I stumbled upon while GMing my WC Privateer RPG.

Anyone care to explain for me?

Zim

first off since there is artificial gravity the inertial "gs" are quite overridden. Lets that they go at around 100kps which is 6000kpm or 36,000kph or 864000 kpd which is fast enough to go from the earth to the moon in just under half a day and 1 au in 172 days. but of course this doesn't take into account the fact that for a period they could turn off their scoops and run on internal fuel constantly accelerating. the Tarawa could went at 10,000 kps during the attack on kilrah which would then allow it go go 1 au in .172 (with the 2 a repeating number) days which is very little time (4 hours and 8 minutes) now granted that speed could not be maintianed indefinitely but assume 1 hour at that speed another hour at normal cruise and it would take under 8 hours to go 1 au.

OK also a "g" is not a way of measuring speed it is a way of measuring the amount of gravities that a person or object experiences with 1 "g" being the amount of gravity exerted on an object at sea level on earth

Now, if you were accelerating at 2 Gs from a dead start to a dead stop I believe you could go 4 AU in about 15 1/2 hours.

Originally posted by Napoleon
Lets that they go at around 100kps which is 6000kpm or 36,000kph or 864000 kpd which is fast enough to go from the earth to the moon in just under half a day and 1 au in 172 days.

Not mentioning the fact that to pull a 10-g turn you would still have a turning radius of 100,000 km.

Just as well those fighters have acceleration absorbers :)

Back