Things to do at Dragon*Con - Late Night Edition

Cpl Hades

Mr. Kat
So, last year Frosty and I decided that we didn't want to sleep the last night of the con, and we would instead sleep on the way home. So we went walkabout. We shall definitely be doing more late night Con this year, and here's why:

Weird Tartan Band - There were lots of people going in to one of the halls so we decided to look. It was pretty hilarious, but you'd have to be there to see why.

All night anime music video screenings - We only stayed for 30 - 60 minutes, but the actual event went on for five hours. Only the amusing ones which mocked anime were any good though. Some people apparently chose this as a good place to sleep for some reason. There are other rooms showing various other things like sci-fi shows, but for whatever reason we chose the anime.

The bums - Atlanta is full of bums, and you're regularly approached. Frosty was approached by one, and for some reason Frosty gave him $5. All I can remember is that the bum told us where the hookers hang out, but that turned out to be unnecessary since Atlanta has..

The most useless pimp ever - I didn't even see or hear him, and Frosty only heard what he said before deciding that we weren't going to stop and stopped talking. All Frosty heard was "Hey man, if you need a little lady to keep you company tonight, I'm [begin trailing off in dissappointment]...". Great sales technique.

We decided to pass on the hookers.

Hey, look at all the goths - Goths hang out all over the convention, there's even a walkway between hotels so they don't have to go outside at all. But at night the ones who can't even stand artificial light surface and hang around outside the Hyatt. Just ignore them and they go away. It's just a gaggle of people who don't understand each other's pain.

Panel without a purpose - At night the panel rooms are usually empty, so random people come along and hold their own panels about nothing in particular. This particular night there were two panel competing for people. This generally involved shouting "HEY YOU! COME IN HERE!" at anyone who walks by. I'm still not entirely sure how, but I ended up actually on one of the panels.

Things to do this year!

Hold a late night WC panel
Crash a room party
Torment pimps
Laugh at more bands who weren't good enough to get an earlier slot
Check out a different late night viewing room. Hey, maybe one will show the WC movie.

Submit your own ideas here. Frosty should now add anything I've forgotten.

Destroy WC Imitators? I laughed so hard I cried when I saw videos ([edit] ...pictures...) of you guys mutilating wild space sim wc-spin offs.

Cpl Hades said:
Weird Tartan Band - There were lots of people going in to one of the halls so we decided to look. It was pretty hilarious, but you'd have to be there to see why.
Yes, I could not tell if they were serious or joking... maybe if we'd stuck around long enough to catch their name, I could figure that out.
All night anime music video screenings - We only stayed for 30 - 60 minutes, but the actual event went on for five hours. Only the amusing ones which mocked anime were any good though. Some people apparently chose this as a good place to sleep for some reason. There are other rooms showing various other things like sci-fi shows, but for whatever reason we chose the anime.
Yeah, of the dozen vids we saw, only two were any good. One was that deliriously famous Right Now anime spoof done atop Van Halen, and the other I've completely forgotten. My mind is trying to tell me that it involved Lupin clips.
The bums - Atlanta is full of bums, and you're regularly approached. Frosty was approached by one, and for some reason Frosty gave him $5. All I can remember is that the bum told us where the hookers hang out, but that turned out to be unnecessary since Atlanta has..
There was no graceful way to detach myself from this dude, and the smallest bill in my wallet was a fiver. I spent like 160 dollars on psycho anime merch and nobody cared about that, but buy some polite bum on the street a Big Mac and holy shit - world ends.

I've since mended my ways and refuse to give people money, but we all know how that turns out, don't we?
The most useless pimp ever - I didn't even see or hear him, and Frosty only heard what he said before deciding that we weren't going to stop and stopped talking. All Frosty heard was "Hey man, if you need a little lady to keep you company tonight, I'm [begin trailing off in disappointment]...". Great sales technique.
At this point, Hades wanted to get inside, and away from the freaky night people of Atlanta. Our course had to be diverted several times, and I sensed a tension, so once we saw the light of the hotel entrance, we made no detours.

The pimp guy tried to break the ice by asking about Dragon*Con and stormtroopers or something, and I answered him, but then he stopped and mumbled some really weak-ass sales pitch at my back and I just sort of laughed.
Panel without a purpose - At night the panel rooms are usually empty, so random people come along and hold their own panels about nothing in particular. This particular night there were two panels competing for people. This generally involved shouting "HEY YOU! COME IN HERE!" at anyone who walks by. I'm still not entirely sure how, but I ended up actually on one of the panels.
There's really no way to describe this part of the night. We two were there, we remember it and know what it was like, the rest of everybody can never truly know.

I think I won a button or something.
Things to do this year!

Hold a late night WC panel
Crash a room party
Torment pimps
Laugh at more bands that weren't good enough to get an earlier slot
Check out a different late night viewing room. Hey, maybe one will show the WC movie.
We could probably also ask random attractive girls (all four of them) if they know what a Kilrathi is, in honor of WildFire.

And scatter Cobra Sucks flyers all over the Marriott when nobody is looking. Just like dump a huge box of them from the top floor. That'll show 'em!

Jason_Ryock said:
Destroy WC Imitators? I laughed so hard I cried when I saw videos ([edit] ...pictures...) of you guys mutilating wild space sim wc-spin offs.

We do that every year anyway. The things we're referring to happen somewhere between midnight and 5am.

Frosty said:
And scatter Cobra Sucks flyers all over the Marriott when nobody is looking. Just like dump a huge box of them from the top floor. That'll show 'em!

You know those 'OBEY' stickers with Andre the Giant on them or something? We should print up a bunch of 'OBEY HOBBES' stickers or something.

Yeah.

And that's just what Frosty and Hades were doing at 4 am. Prior to that a whole bunch of us were having a great discussion in the Marriott Lobby for many hours.. and then ace and I worked on formatting pictures for the CIC updates. Everyone needs to come to DragonCon.

ChrisReid said:
And that's just what Frosty and Hades were doing at 4 am.

The point is, what we were doing at 4am was much more fun than what you were doing at 4am. People need to do more random wandering around Atlanta and the hotels late at night this year.

powell99 said:
Plug in the laptops and play games you HAVE to do that

That's right, man. Most of the people there travel upwards of a thousand miles to see people that they normally only talk to on a computer, and when they get there, they get on computers and talk more.

You fool. That's what the Gameboys are for.

Me and Hades travel 3000 miles or so. Well, Hades travels like 12,000 round trip.

First of all, let me congratulate you on finally recieving a feed to the Internet in your cave, you must be very excited.

Secondly: http://dragoncon.org says this year's D*C takes place from September third to September sixth.

Third: Yes, but we want more. If you're cool, try to come. There's still plenty of time to arrange everything - trust me. Everyone who attends has a great time.

Just find a seamstress. We'll supply you with patches, a red shirt and a place to buy generic stock flight suits to modify.

You name it, someone is bound to have dressed as it over the past few years. I've seen so many costumes I can't decide which was the best. The Optimus Prime from 2001 was pretty neat.

Cpl Hades said:
You name it, someone is bound to have dressed as it over the past few years. I've seen so many costumes I can't decide which was the best. The Optimus Prime from 2001 was pretty neat.

I don't think I've seen anything to resoundly defeat the Final Fantasy movie armor from 2002.

Back