They should do more FMV games...

Viper

Spaceman
I think that the trend of not having Full Motion Video in games is negative. Naturally, almost all FMV games were horrible, but I think that FMV really worked in the Wing Commander series. It seemed to make the characters more memorable.
On a different note, I think it would be a shame not to continue the WC single-player games, because the story didn't seem to wrap up well. Prophecy's ending was ready for a sequel. Plus, we all want to find out more about what really happened to Blair. Is he really dead?

That question has been run into the deck, friend!
smile.gif
But, as unlikely as it seems to me at this point, I'd like to see a sequel to Prophecy some day. Hell, I think we all would.

------------------
Doing the bull dance. Feeling the flow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure it has been run into the ground, but now's the time of year I bought Prophecy, the game that got me started on WC, so I'm feeling a little nostalgic.
smile.gif

I also started with Prophecy, and before I played some of the other games in the series it was my favorite game. And we actualy saw a sequel to Prophecy, Secret Ops. I know this will shock many of you, but SO isn't an add-on, and although it isn't a full blown game with lots of cutscenes it is a sequel

------------------
Uh excuse me Mr.Cat, sir, but would you mind like ceasing fire for a little while so we can barbecue your god-ugly asses? Todd "Maniac" Marshall Wing Commander Pilgrim Stars

I started off on WCIV I can't live without it

------------------
I fight on the side of peace and honor, just like Blair

The problem with FMV is that, for each minute of the same scene done in FMV and CGI (as a comparison point), FMV costs a LOT more for the same minute of end-product that the public sees. The money that goes into production of FMV is money that doesn't go into EA's or Origin's bank account as profit. Neither EA nor Origin are, after all, charities.

------------------
SubCrid Death
Official Net.Nazi, LOAF's Merry Guild

I don't mind using CGI for showing the Midway jump into a system, or other cutscenes were fighters or capships fight eachother, but I think it's still not realistic enough to replace FMV when it comes to seing people.

------------------
Uh excuse me Mr.Cat, sir, but would you mind like ceasing fire for a little while so we can barbecue your god-ugly asses? Todd "Maniac" Marshall Wing Commander Pilgrim Stars

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited January 12, 2000).]

I started with WC1.

They could use some tips from The Matrix, FMV/CGI mix.
smile.gif

------------------
Meson
Fleet Commander Homepage

Wing Commander is not just a game. It's a lifestyle.

[This message has been edited by Meson (edited January 13, 2000).]

Meson, the command is (b) (/b) but with square brackets instead of curved... (had to do that so they could be seen
smile.gif
)

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

lol
According to a survey in mid-1999, it costs approximately $85 (US) every 2 seconds for FMV for games created for the PC.
Unfortunately... that stacks up VERY fast...

------------------
Member of BlackLance HQ

"To take one step forward, you must look back three steps... and walk forward while looking back... "

You want too know why FMV costs so darn much???
Actors don't work for free...there you go plain and simple...If you think for a moment, that $85.00 every 2 seconds goes to pay for Cast, Crew, Director, Writters, Equipment, and a few other things that I can't think of off hand...also you have to think of the Star quality they have on hand...Mark Hammel may not be one of the biggest star names, in the biz, anymore but I assure you for every repeat appereance that he makes on that game or as Blair for that matter, his agent is asking for more, and more money....does Star Wars ruined my carrer ring a bell????
Besides if WC did go over to CGI for everything, I might not every play or buy a single new WC game for the rest of my life...and that's simply because FMV is what helped the wing commander games get to be so popular, it's the soap opera that goes on inbetween...and I'm also and actor my self and wouldn't like it if some computer generated thing was taking all my business.

------------------
Call me a Pleb, you die!!! Got it fly boy?!?
Well do ya!!! Well punk??? Just remember when your on my wing my auto tracking could always slip and mistake you for the roach you are......got it!!!! Fly! Boy!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by AzrialX (edited January 15, 2000).]

Helluva lot doesn't even cover the tip of the iceberg...

Almost all of the game is on videos...

------------------
"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

Back