They say you wanna Revolution...

Edfilho

Cry some more!
So, any thoughts on the 3 (or 4) new consoles? I think that the revolution looks like crap, but will probably be a lot less expensive and also cost less to develop games for... So, probably nintendo will remain the last bastion of inovation. add to it a "nintendo live" for free service WITH a big library of classics for download, full backwards compatibility and wireless conectivity with the ds...

The PS3 is a freacking Behemoth, it has apparently trounced and crushed the 360 in both in the specs and the videos... Nvidia says its video ship is more powerfull Also, it has a lot of interesting media and conectivity options (two HD monitors and 7 controllers???). But I'm afraid of hwo conservative and me-too the games for both systems will be, considering the HUGE increase in the necessary development budgets... The Xbox 360 will have more freedom in its peripherals (it will be compatible with all kinds of USB devices, including the ipod), while sony will, as usual, push for the sony brand stuff.

The new ps3 controller also looks like crap, BTw, even if the console itself is pretty. The xbox is nice... I hope it really gets a lot more exclusives than in this gen, because both the rev and ps3 beat it in this department, and both will have stronger online presences. IF the 360 plays just a few select original xbox games, that is a weakness. the PS3 is slated to play both its predecessors games (a major advantage, imo, and a reason for me to consider buying it).

Anyway, I am really afraid of console and game prices for the PS3 and the 360. I foresee many, many, many versions of Madden, GTA and Halo... but few new Katamari Damacy crazy stuff.

I intend to get the Rev, for sure, a couple of years after launch, and maybe the PS3.

Well, these are just my thoughts on the issues. I don't have any bias pro or against sony and MS in this arena. I do like the current Nintendo stuff, but I'd be
stupid to say that the revolution is prettier or more powerfull than its peers. I do believe, though, that it may end up being a strength of the system.

PS: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess looks like it can be one of the best games ever... I completelly amazed.

How can you say this beautiful baby looks like crap?

Xmv9SLUgFj_qthtcGLxveoasjndn2F7E.jpg

Its a funny old world when Nintendos console looks so sleek and the competition looks like a reject item from a bad 70s sci-fi and a 1960s toaster.

rBv1cQj3QGKBcXLqvv7txcETGX-THhNC.jpg
RkEX9CeGwHcfvnlIFgUjci4pCDhg5dsI.jpg

I was totally blown away by the new Zelda, just plain gobsmacked, this is the prettiest game I've ever seen (bizarrely more impressive than demos of titles running on XBox 360 hardware, but then its always hard getting something ready for E3 so I'm not going to judge the systems capabilities on that alone).

The wireless gaming sounds like a tremendous idea, its always been my strict belief that when you buy a game that should be it so nintendos plans have really made me happy.
Wanting to go into graphics programming I suppose I should be backing the PS3 or 360 but no... NES to N64 downloadable, Gamecube backwards compatability, VGA compatability, its as though somebody went into my dreams, improved them slightly, packaged them in a really sleek package and turned them into reality. I really couldn't give a damn what the specs are but I AM curious to see the new controller which is supposed to lead this revolution.

As I understand it, the Gods Of Entertainment Hardware Horsepower have switched sides. While the X-Box was much more powerful than the PS2, the 360 seems to be utterly trumped by the PS3. I'm not sure what a Teraflop is - but the 360 only produces 1 while the PS3 does 2.18! I want me some of that... whatever... it is...

Not to mention that the PS3 will play all previous PS games (including PS1! Thank god, I was worried Id have to keep my Ps2 just to play Final Fantasy Tactics) as well as CD, DVD and DVD-R.

Just someone explain to me why any system would need up to seven controller input jacks?

I'm also interested in what the Nintendo system will offer. I was a big fan of the Gamecube, even though a lot of the games on it didn't nessessarily appeal to me.

I also like the look of the Revolution. I've always leaned towards Nintendo, despite the lack of my kind of games for the GC, but the Rev is definitely a dream come true for me. The new Zelda is also stunning. Only one drawback though, its for GC, not the Rev. As much as I look forward to playing another Zelda chapter as soon as possible, they could have made it even better by making it for the Rev and still only have a few months difference in release dates.

Sarty said:
I also like the look of the Revolution. I've always leaned towards Nintendo, despite the lack of my kind of games for the GC, but the Rev is definitely a dream come true for me. The new Zelda is also stunning. Only one drawback though, its for GC, not the Rev. As much as I look forward to playing another Zelda chapter as soon as possible, they could have made it even better by making it for the Rev and still only have a few months difference in release dates.

Well I'd hazard a guess and say we can expect to see it running in higher resolution using the Revolutions backwards compatability, theres not much else they could have done to improve it graphically and still met the revolutions launch date. IMO with really decent backwards compatability (not like the PS2s sorry excuse) the release of new GCN games could nicely roll in the revolution.

I didn't call the Rev crap! I called the PS3 boomerang crap.

I think the rev is kinda cool, but utterly bland. it looks like a modem or a external drive. But maybe it will look better in blue or green. The shining blue disc slot is pretty cool, though.

And i don't think releasing Twilight Princess in the GC is a mistake. First, they said that Rev Zelda is in the making, and the Rev is still a year or more from us. So, I want LoZ:TP ASAP!!!!! Anyways, we'll be able to play it again on the Rev, so, no problem.

It should be noted that Revolution is still the production name and the pictures on the internet are prototypes. The name and look may or may not change by the end of this year.

You should also look into the next GBA remake, the Game Boy Micro

Edfilho said:
I didn't call the Rev crap! I called the PS3 boomerang crap.

Edfilho said:
I think that the revolution looks like crap

Anyway if any looks should change heres hoping its the PS3s breadbin.
The 360 may find a spot with those drawn to large glowing objects.

Well, even if the name changes, I pretty much doubt that the look will change much... maybe a few touches. They only show those things when they have the desing nailed down...

The GBMicro is cute, but it is far too small to be of any interest to me, personally.

The simple fact that the Revolution will be backwards-compatible with the ENTIRE FUCKING NINTENDO LIBRARY has basically already sealed the argument for me. The only question I have is "will they translate and release some of the older SNES RPGs like Tales of Phantasia or Star Ocean 1 on the RevolutionNet?" One can hope.

The GBMicro is a no go for me. Its just another GBA with a new look, there's no reason for me to re-buy a system I already have just because they made it smaller.

My only major problem with the PS3, is that Sony is attempting to make it an entire home entertainment system. All that does is lead to the higher likelihood that something will break on it, and lessen the performance of each individual aspect. (Which is my problem with things like the NGage, PSP etc.)

The 360, from the articles I read, will probably be incredible-but the PS3 will eventually come around and best it. (That's the price you pay as a console maker by releasing yours first.) MS had best announce soon whether it's backwards compatable, because nearly everyone I know is all up in arms about it being.

Finally-don't worry too much about the game prices/console prices. From what I've seen, consoles will still be about 300, and the marketing departments for both Sony and MS (not sure about Nintendo) have already said they don't see their game prices increasing too much, because they don't think players will pay much more. But then, we'll have to see if they actually follow through on that.

Ehehehe, that is beautifull. Even with the avalanche of technobabble and videos from PS3 and 360, people (here) seem to be more interested in something that is actually focused on the games! It seems that the revolution might have an edge precisely in its apparent humblenes...

IT'S NOT THE MACHINE, IT'S THE GAMES!!!!

Now what would be neat is if these downloadable retro games on the Revolution support the Revolution's wireless internet service

IMHO, everything after the N64 was crap. As Edfilho stated before me, the machines are merely vehicles for the games. Now back in the days of the SuperNES, Nintendo tried hard to make sure that their consoles weren't overrun by absolute crap. (As happened with the 2600 and almost happened with the NES.) This pushed their competitors to follow suit or get out of the market. (Anyone remember the technically superior Jaguar and TurboGFX?) When the N64 came out, Nintendo pushed their same level of quality and made the transition from 2D to 3D like no previous games had managed to do. Then something horrible happened.

The PS1 convinced people that gameplay doesn't matter.

Now don't get me wrong, the Playstation had some good games. But for the most part, they were all glitz and no gameplay. This was then combined with Sony's lax standards on blood, gore, and sex to produce a machine that was "cool" because of its rebellious nature. Microsoft then followed suit, and Nintendo was forced to do the same. Sad, sad, sad. :(

I'm not sure what a Teraflop is - but the 360 only produces 1 while the PS3 does 2.18!

A "flop" is a unit of measurement based on a processor's ability to compute floating point numbers. Floating point numbers are basically numbers with fractional digits. The reason why they're significant is the difficulty computers have in working with them. You see, FP numbers are nothing more than scientific numbers (e.g. 1.23451 x 10^15 or 5.214 x 10 ^ -4) encoded at a binary level. This encoding makes them only semi-accurate, but allows for very few limits on the scale of the number that can be stored.

When someone uses the term "Megaflop" or "Terraflop" they are referring to a million or a trillion floating point operations per second, respectively. Note that this terminology is fairly young in the computer industry (or maybe I'm just getting old) because computers used to lack floating point co-processors. Prior to the addition of co-processors, clock cycles were considered a reasonable baseline for comparing performance. However, as processors got more complex, it was shown that clock-cycles were becoming almost meaningless.

AKAImBatman said:
Now don't get me wrong, the Playstation had some good games. But for the most part, they were all glitz and no gameplay. This was then combined with Sony's lax standards on blood, gore, and sex to produce a machine that was "cool" because of its rebellious nature. Microsoft then followed suit, and Nintendo was forced to do the same. Sad, sad, sad.

You can easily say that gameplay has become unessessarily complicated since the advent of anything after Pong.

But thats using your logic - which isn't any sort of logic. Just tangent.

LeHah said:
You can easily say that gameplay has become unessessarily complicated since the advent of anything after Pong.

But thats using your logic - which isn't any sort of logic. Just tangent.

Just responding to the point of "these new machines [look like|are] crap". MHO is that this was true of all machines after the N64, so they're really not saying anything new. :)

Of course, this entire discussion is subjective anyway. People will like what they like. For example, I'm probably not going to buy a console until there's a new Wing Commander game on one of them. ;)

Having the specs too high can also be a problem, since the development cost for new games goes up as well.

The problem will be how to produce new and innovative games if they are just too expensive to produce and buy.

Delance said:
Having the specs too high can also be a problem, since the development cost for new games goes up as well.

The problem will be how to produce new and innovative games if they are just too expensive to produce and buy.

This is Nintendos line of reasoning exactly. It probably won't get them far in the US and especially not the UK but Japan has proved to be very receptive to innovation over style, even with its recent shift in culture. I'm hopeful that whilst it may not initially attract casual gamers it may well become THE console for smaller, more innovative developers. It sounds like nintendo is aiming its price point as an AND console rather than an OR system which could be a very smart move.

As to why you'd need 7 controllers...

7 person racing in NASCAR

7 person battles in NCAA and Madden

7 person super RPG

Not saying it wouldn't get super chaotic, but it'd sure as hell be cool! :)

Back