... There Was Wing Commander I (August 11, 2010)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
For our final update of the night we are proud to present, in honor of its incredible 20th anniversary, the game that started it all--the original Wing Commander, available for download!
If you're new to the original Wing Commander, be sure to check out our online copies of the Claw Marks magazine and blueprints posters... and if you're looking for an additional challenge you can pick up the Secret Missions

Please note that this is adapted from the Kilrathi Saga version; although DOSBox and related developments would make the original easier to run on modern computers, we are only permitted to post the specific release included on a 2000 PC Gamer coverdisk. I was able to play the game easily on a Windows XP machine while Kris had trouble with the speed limiter in Vista. I am confident that the Tech Support will rise to the occasion and help keep this version of the game running--so give it a try and post your problems so we can work it out.

Finally, to other webmasters and magazine editors: this is not a freeware release of the game--anyone wishing to include this download at their website or in their publication must contact the rights holders themselves.

--
Original update published on August 11, 2010

Last edited by a moderator:
i believe the joystick patch is the version of wc.exe that wcview (ship editor) works with.

if the patch works though, does it still use the mp3 music?

I bought that copy of PC gamer purely for this... and promptly lost the CD at a border crossing. Thank you for bringing it back!

I bought that copy of PC gamer purely for this... and promptly lost the CD at a border crossing. Thank you for bringing it back!
Wow, must have been a pretty rough border crossing. Did you throw them at the guards or something? :)

The things disappear *like that* somehow. We got the nod to post this and then found that no one on staff could dig up a copy... so I had to pay a crazy amount to rush one from an eBay seller at the last minute.

I'm sure many of us could have filled in for that, myself included... but then I suppose asking around would kill the secret, wouldn't it?

I hope the eBay copy didn't cost too much...

Wow, I am away for a Few days and the first game is released for download in full!!! What a suprise. How did you manage to swing that? Did EA give Permission to you guys?

Wow, I am away for a Few days and the first game is released for download in full!!! What a suprise. How did you manage to swing that? Did EA give Permission to you guys?

From the update:

Finally, to other webmasters and magazine editors: this is not a freeware release of the game--anyone wishing to include this download at their website or in their publication must contact the rights holders themselves.

The answer is yes.

Ah I see, missed that bit. It would still be interesting to hear the background to this, was is a straight forward thing to arrange? Or did it need a lot of negotiation? Just interested is all, its great getting a legal download out.

I think the purist inside me is going to demand that I somehow figure out a way to get mp3s of the original DOS sounds of WC1, I do miss the tin-y sound of the lasers, and the "Fp-sssssssssss" sound of launching a missile.

Record WAVs through DOSbox - all MP3s have inherent starting and trailing padding which may impact repeated sound effects.

Although, if you can play in DOSbox, why not just stick with it?

I lost my Wing Commander collection of CDs long ago, so this (apart from the GameTap brief window) is really my only option to play this game without going the less-than-scrupulous route. Plus it recognizes my USB joystick, and plays well enough with a vanilla program launch that I don't need to dink around with settings or configs.

Unless this release can in fact be played through DosBox, in which case inquiring minds would like to know how.

Seeing the front page right now makes me wonder what happened to the Hornet and Sabre models they used to make the intro movie.

wcksintrosnap3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back