Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Wing Commander Academy TV

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unforgiven

Spaceman
Al right, maybe not totally complete, but I only have max 10 options in the poll.
The last theme poll one was getting so much comments for only allowing WC1 and WCM as options, I'd thought I'd see what the general opinions are on all themes.
I didn't include WCSO because I *think* it has nearly the same music as WCP, but it's been a while since I played it, so forgive me if I'm wrong.
I could also have included the Academy games but I ran out of space.

Personally, WC4 is my favourite. And the WCATV tune is the best cartoon intro *ever*. imho of course.

No, it served it's purpose. I just thought it'd be interesting to see how opinions vary over the full spectrum of WC music available.

Again I have to say: When it's just about the (main) theme, I like WCM best.
Because of the last poll, the first thing I did when I came home a few hours ago was listen to it again :D

The problem with this thread is that the only one that has a specific theme is the movie. To have a theme, it tends to have to be repeated in a cue or a specific fashion. A theme is a repedative block of music, usually meoldy, that strings the peice together while usually being played in different keys.

I approve of Lunatic's response because Jerry Goldsmith is not only one of the best composers alive (His score to The Omen and it's 2nd sequel The Final Conflict are getting re-released late this month), he is a perfect example of a theme writer. The opening of Star Trek: The Motion Picture is very much the same thing Goldsmith and Courage wrote for Next Generation.

While the WC games have some fine damned music in them, there's not a common thread running through it. Michael Kamen does this a lot as well.

I still think, out of all the other possibilities, that WC1 has the best theme. When I think of Wing Commander music - this theme is the first to pop.

Originally posted by Unforgiven
No, it served it's purpose. I just thought it'd be interesting to see how opinions vary over the full spectrum of WC music available.

Oh okay, I guess I don't hate you now ;)

Originally posted by LeHah
The problem with this thread is that the only one that has a specific theme is the movie.
Yeah, that confused me too, by "theme" I thought he meant the intro. Oh well.

BTW, WC2's opening theme gets re-used a couple of times. :) And Unforgiven, Academy uses the same music as WC1/2.

So if the poll is for music in the games generally, then I'm stuck between WC2 and WC3. I liked the WCP orchestral stuff too. But I voted for WC2 'cause there so much variety! :)

Academy had some new music... the first bit that comes to mind is the theme that plays when you win the gauntlet.

Originally posted by Mav23

Oh okay, I guess I don't hate you now ;)
Boy, am I relieved! :D

And LeHah, I always thought theme just meant opening song. But I checked the dictionary and I was wrong, but the validity of the thread in general goes undamaged, I'd think.
And I'm not the only one who makes that mistake, considering how many people on alt.startrek call the Enterprise intro theme, which it then obviously isn't.

Originally posted by Unforgiven
...how many people on alt.startrek call the Enterprise intro theme, which it then obviously isn't.

Actually that can be considered a theme, since TNG used theirs as a refrain in several episodes. Lets give Enterprise sometime.

Originally posted by LeHah

Actually that can be considered a theme, since TNG used theirs as a refrain in several episodes. Lets give Enterprise sometime.

And how has life been under that rock, anyway <G>?

Enterprise has a gawd-awful pop song as its intro theme. I don't think it'll be used as a refrain any time soon.

It's obvious I didn't see Enterprise, isn't it? :)

I guess it was too much to ask for another Jerry Goldsmith / Alexander Courage theme, wasn't it?

I really have no want to see the series yet, esp after watching such a depressing episode of Buffy last night. :(

Or come anywhere near the gazillion sobbing Trekkers, apparently...

And what did we tell you about the pointless, unrelated pop culture crud?

Well, the Enterprise intro/theme/whatever didn't really bother me, but it wasn't like I thought "hey what a good song" either. I usually fast-forward the intros anyway (can hardly ever watch a show at the time it's actually aired).
As for the show itself, I thought it was pretty good. People who whine about the show looking better than TOS (well, duh!) and ridged foreheads need to realise it's just a TV show and, in the words of William Shatner, get a life.

Edit: Hey, I just noticed I'm a captain. The fact that I noticed that after 34 posts shows how observant I sometimes am... :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back