The WC interactive Flash navigation map

Cyberion has a habit of disappearing off the face of the Earth. I haven't seen him in weeks.

You probably shouldn't send us Crius private messages. We don't ignore them, but they're awkward to handle, much less flexible and easy to overlook. I'd turn them off completely, but I use them for a few specific things. You can try to talk to us on irc, but the best way to contact us is to use the news@ or chatzone@ contact email addresses. I'm not sure if it's possible to change account names, but that's probably not something we'd do if we could.

That project looks real great!!

Keep on that good work. Do you plan to include detailing stuff such as bases, mine/asteroid fields & so on?

remora said:
Zal, do you have source code for this? I would love to play around with it... possibly adding it into WC: Against All Odds ... I am a programmer by trade, and I wouldn't mind helping out either ...

First of all let me make sure everybody understands that the version of the program that is now online is the old one, from 6 months ago.
I have started writhing and designing the new version from scratch. It is a new program.
If I will need help with programing I'll let you know, thank you for the offer. As for the source code, I'm currently writhing it.​

Alch said:
That project looks real great!!

Keep on that good work. Do you plan to include detailing stuff such as bases, mine/asteroid fields & so on?

Good feedback is what keeps me going, thank you. If you liked the old version, I hope you will love using the new one that is in the works.
I'm trying to writhe the program to be as flexible as necessary so if that kind of data is made available, to me or whoever will update the program, it could be added to the database.

It's a pity that the account name can't be changed, I received an alert message when I created my account with my full nickname, it was something concerning the name itself and not a server error.
It's also a pity that Cyberion can't be reached, he was working on the new background image. I may have to ask someone else to do that.
I'll keep that in mind, ChrisReid, when wanting to contact the admins.​

I could use a nice background space image for the map. If any talented artist out there is willing to make such an image then please post here so that I can give you further details.
I may also need some other images like icons and logos later for whom the artist would receive credit of course. Drop a message in here or pm me if your interested.

Got me a graphics designer for the space background image. It should look nice in the final build.
Development has been good until now. Thou I'll have to delay it a week because of some personal problems.

ChrisReid said:
Any word on when you might be getting a new version online?
I'm doing all my testing in-house, I'd like the end user to get the final version only. I don't want to launch a half baked product. And I want to be sure it's customizable enough to be used by other communities. It's a big project and it will take a while to get it done right. Could be a couple of weeks but I'll keep everyone posted.

Hey people, I'm pretty sure you'll like the new default navigation system but how about some movement in 3D (X and Y-axes rotation with depth) ? I'm not very enthusiastic about that, it would take a lot of work to make it work right, but if the community wants it then I'll give it a try.

The jump maps that we primarily use for reference here are an Akwende projection. They are 2D references and not intended to display actual distances and three dimensional space.

I thought it over and I have decided to implement a third coordinate for each item and consequently the possibility to move the map in 3D. The WC map will obviously look like a plane. I always had the feeling that something was missing and I feel this will make things look better and be a bit more functional (if not for this project then maybe for others).

Thanks for keeping us regularly updated on your progress with the interactive nav map, Zal.

The possibility of implementing a 3D system sounds interesting and while a simple 2D map would probably provide better ease of use as an initial first layer, no doubt the extra functionality available from a visual representation in three dimensions will be beneficial in many instances.

Do you plan to release the final programme as a standalone utility that can be user configurable/editable or will it just be accessible as a web-only resource?

Cheers,

BrynS

BrynS said:
Do you plan to release the final programme as a standalone utility that can be user configurable/editable or will it just be accessible as a web-only resource?

I plan on releasing it first as a web resource and later as a standalone utility. I'll also develop a program especially for updating and modifying the data files.

I've finished the basic 3D engine and I have to say the planar 1000-star star field I'm working with looks pretty cool. You get this nifty flythrough feeling.
I'll now have to rethink the scrolling and zooming functions to work correctly in 3D.

3D navigation is proving to be more time consuming then I initially thought.
I'll keep working on it and hopefully everything will function correctly so I can get on working on the rest of the project.

I seams the free account I used for testing and hosting the project can't be accessed anymore.
I know some people have variable quantities of web data storage used for different activities. If anyone would be so kind as to create a sub-account for me I would be very grateful. I don't need more then 5 MB of storage.

Thank you.

Are you planning to make your updated version publicly available? How do you plan to populate the map with all the systems?

ChrisReid said:
Are you planning to make your updated version publicly available?
The web and windows builds will be free, as the program made especially for editing the data files (they are XML so any editor could be used but a program specially written to understand the way data is structured would save time).
ChrisReid said:
How do you plan to populate the map with all the systems?
I'll most likely make a big part of the data files myself until the editing software will be finished. After witch I'll probably ask for some help from the community witch will most likely administer the data bases in the future.

Zal said:
The web and windows builds will be free, as the program made especially for editing the data files (they are XML so any editor could be used but a program specially written to understand the way data is structured would save time).

I'm talking about the version you said you've been sitting on for the last six months or so. Will the site be updated with your progress?

Back