The WC interactive Flash navigation map

It'd be nice it the map could draw the shortest path between two selected systems.

I like it. Add those missing systems !

Navigation Map Engine Z ver. 3

Features:

- redesigned interface, not that I don't like the current one but I think I can make it smaller and more functional
- redesigned information pad, bigger, with specific fields, maybe with the possibility of displaying user set pictures
- path calculator (calculates the path between two systems based on a set of criteria)
- I'm thinking about drooping the background dynamic star field and going back to Cyb's images for better performance, as bitmap-handling has been greatly improved in flash 8
- some improvements in the color pallet and graphics, maybe go back to using cursors but make them more useful
- maybe switch from vector based icons to bitmap ones for better performance with flash 8
- redesigned code for better overall performance
- a different database format, the current data will still be valid but maybe make it easier to modify. how do you feel about XML ?
- map should start at the smallest zoom level so you get an overall view from the beginning
- whatever else I think of while developing this

These are all pretty much possible features that could be added in future builds according to the amount of free time I have for this project.
If I can, I would like to make this more of a generic map engine, applicable to more projects that need such a system.

What do you think, do you have any other requests ? Drop a message here and share your thoughts.

P.S. The link to the current build in the news article on the main WC page has a '.' at the end, making it erroneous. I have left a message for the administrator as a private message on the main IRC chat room but if any of you can reach him quicker please do and kindly ask him to resolve the small inconvenience.

Thank you.

I need to know a bit more about the kind and amount of information that you would like to see displayed for each system.
I don't know much about WC in general or the WC games, so if someone could make a list of items, categories of information (example: title, type, short description, long description (with history etc.), planets, images about..., etc.) I could start planing the new layout.

Thank you.

I wish i could contribute some info to the project, but you know Zal how i'm busy right now, we talked recently on yahoo messanger...

Although if you need a new background and some icons, i can help. I've been mastering Photoshop CS2 for the last 4 months, so should do much better than the last time. Just drop me a line on the forums here or via yahoo messanger if i'm on.

As a side note: maybe LOAF can help with the info stuff... he is an ultimate WC info center :p hehehehehe

Zal said:
I need to know a bit more about the kind and amount of information that you would like to see displayed for each system.
I don't know much about WC in general or the WC games, so if someone could make a list of items, categories of information (example: title, type, short description, long description (with history etc.), planets, images about..., etc.) I could start planing the new layout.

That stuff would take quite a while to compile. It'll come once you finish the layout and conversion of data at www.wcnews.com/maps, but I wouldn't expect it immediately prior to any revision you currently have in the works.

Zal said:
These are all pretty much possible features that could be added in future builds according to the amount of free time I have for this project.
If I can, I would like to make this more of a generic map engine, applicable to more projects that need such a system.

What do you think, do you have any other requests ? Drop a message here and share your thoughts.

P.S. The link to the current build in the news article on the main WC page has a '.' at the end, making it erroneous. I have left a message for the administrator as a private message on the main IRC chat room but if any of you can reach him quicker please do and kindly ask him to resolve the small inconvenience.

Those sound like good features. Also, FYI for everyone, saying something to us on IRC when we're not there isn't a very reliable way to get ahold of us. It's pretty easy to lose the message without ever knowing one was ever there for us. Issues with the front page are resolved much much more quickly if people just email news@wcnews.com

ChrisReid said:
Also, FYI for everyone, saying something to us on IRC when we're not there isn't a very reliable way to get ahold of us. It's pretty easy to lose the message without ever knowing one was ever there for us. Issues with the front page are resolved much much more quickly if people just email news@wcnews.com

Chris is right.

ChrisReid said:
That stuff would take quite a while to compile. It'll come once you finish the layout and conversion of data at www.wcnews.com/maps, but I wouldn't expect it immediately prior to any revision you currently have in the works.

I did not ask for the data, I actually wanted a list of categories for the information so that I can get the idea of how much text there should be.

ChrisReid said:
Also, FYI for everyone, saying something to us on IRC when we're not there isn't a very reliable way to get ahold of us. It's pretty easy to lose the message without ever knowing one was ever there for us. Issues with the front page are resolved much much more quickly if people just email news@wcnews.com

So just from curiosity, did you get the IRC message ? I figured you get hundreds of emails a day but if that is the preferred medium then I'll try to oblige.

As this is very important to the design, would you like to have the possibility of displaying an images gallery for each system ?

Zal said:
As this is very important to the design, would you like to have the possibility of displaying an images gallery for each system ?

Not sure about WC systems, but as a general feature for other map buildiers with their own systems, this could be a good idea.

Zal said:
So just from curiosity, did you get the IRC message ? I figured you get hundreds of emails a day but if that is the preferred medium then I'll try to oblige.

Yeah, I get lots of people talking on irc too. I don't really make a point of going back and checking through hours of conversations and direct messages from people who are no longer there to talk to. In email it's organized and I can click through everything systematically. News@wcnews.com also reaches five people that can fix something versus one. If you put something in the headline of the email that indicates there's some sort of problem with the front page, we'll zip right to it. IRC is certainly better if there's a CIC staff member present, but there isn't always one of us there 24 hours a day.

Zal said:

We don't have any sort of representative image for the vast majority of systems. It's certainly a neat feature if you want to implement it, but most systems will just have a general placeholder art there.

Would anyone like the possibility of having more then two depth levels in the navigation map engine ?
Two depths means that you can click an item in the main map, resulting in another map appearing with other items, and so on for 3 depths, 4 etc.

I guess it wouldn't hurt. There is much data to put in on 2nd/3rd/4th levels for the majority of the star systems however.

The map interaction and navigation systems are done.
Next is the database system.

I'll be using XML.
If anyone has suggestions on how to format the documents or specific features then don't hesitate to tell me.

Thank you.

Status update:
The navigation system took a lot more work then I initially thought but it's finished now.
I've started work on data handling and have finished the general structure for the XML files.
I've finished the interface's general theme.

New features:
Minimap, dynamic zoom tool.
A unlimited number of depth levels can be added to any system.
Now when you select a part of the map, you can zoom to that area, center it to the screen, get a sortable list or perform different operations with those systems.

1. Has anyone seen Cyberion in the last few weeks, does anyone know how to contact him or when he is coming back ? I have tried the emails in his profile but they bumped back as invalid and I've sent him a private message, some weeks ago, but still I got no answer.

2. I've send a private message to one of the admins more then a week ago and I have since received no response. I understand they are busy people so I'm trying to attract their attention with this post. The message asked if it is possible to change the name of an account.

3. The map is progressing at a steady level. I'm currently working on the graphics, and because I'm more of a programer then a designer, things are progressing slower then usual. But I'm getting there.

Zal said:
1. I've send a private message to one of the admins more then a week ago and I have since received no response. I understand they are busy people so I'm trying to attract their attention with this post. The message asked if it is possible to change the name of an account.

You're doing good with the map. But as far as PMs are concerned, Most of the CIC staff kind of ignore them. Its Better to Email their @wcnews.com accounts. But I'm not sure if they can change acount names. But I'm feeling that the answer is no.

Back