The WC interactive Flash navigation map

As always my friend. Amazing stuff. I wish I could help you with filling the map, but i'm too busy with my projects as well. But anyway. That's the one of the most useful flash-thingies i've ever seen. I'm proud that i made the background for it.

The news post shurely came as a surprise to me - https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/6332
I finished the code for this project weeks ago but because of not too much interest from the community I abandoned it for an unlimited amount of time.
I invested plenty of time into this project and was very disappointed when I left it in it's curent unfinished state.
As I see, interest exists, so I will continue work.

The 6-17th of this month will be a hard period for me so don't expect much activity from my part, after that I'll do my best at finishing work on the navMapZ.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nullki said:
So is the final program (that creates the flash image on the website linked from the newspost) going to be made publicly available along with this tool (once you've finished creating it)?
Strikes me that it'd be a mighty powerful tool for performing campaigns and all that (springing to mind immediately is the forum based fleet centric wc rpg newsposted a while back).
TrashCan said:
Looks great! I do wonder if it will ever go public, I'm creating a own Scifi universe, and I need something like this for planning and background info! :D Great, really great work!

I did plan to make it publicaly available. I wrote the etire program with ease of use and update in mind. You don't need to modify any code. All the system data is stored in external files and the background images are also external.

But how about a stand alone program ? It could offer many features. Could connect to an online database where you could see and chose the latest maps and see the latest news updates etc.

well as i said before, this feature will be amazing. Thus it's one more step towards online WC game of some sort. Just imagine, you go online, launche the programme and it updates any data automatecaly from the server's database.... cool.... provides you with latest news and additions to the Universe Map. Very very cool ;) Also if oyu need it and do not want to go online you may work offline i guess with the latest downloaded database.

Very cool idea Zal!

Hey people, give some more feedback on this! Come on, i know you can, you aren't so lazy, are you?

I take it the program currently updates the flash based upon the contents of a text file in the same directory (or similar) whenever the page it is embedded on is refreshed?

If so it means that swapping a systems ownership could be as easy as changing one line in the text file and upping the new file to the server? Cool!

The only features I'd say were missing were borders around clusters of similarly aligned systems and travel times between systems. If you're going really over the top you could make it so you can specify the contents of systems to appear when clicked on (e.g. clicking on sol would show you the sun, mercury, etc) but I suppose those would start to get a bit complex...

.:::::::::::::::navMap v2:::::::::::::::.

http://www.libertyconf.go.ro/nav/v2/ (working link)

Many hours have been invested in improving the overall performance and preparing the map for the hundrets of systems thare are going to be soon added.
You will need to activate and deactivate the following functions, 'scroll', 'zoom', 'select' and 'adv.' (advanced).
Don't forget to check out the 'adv.' (advanced) menu.

Give it a spin and please leave a comment here so I can further improve this project for you.
Thank you.

Iceblade said:
That one doesn't appear to work, either.

It works fine for me and for other people. Do you have the Flash Player installed ? If the screen turns black then it's working and you just have to wait for the Flash Player version detection and preloader sequences to begin.

I've got flash installed. I don't get any error or black screen, just a "The page cannot be displayed" blank error.

Just a thought, but could the problem be related to the software used to view the page (stuff like Windows internet explorer and Firefox).

Iceblade said:
Just a thought, but could the problem be related to the software used to view the page (stuff like Windows internet explorer and Firefox).
As I have been told this (annoying banner supported) mirror works for everybody http://libertyconf.3x.ro/
I'll try to find an alternate solution.

RAT said:
Great job, but whot about info of star sistem? Planets? Stations?
I think we'll make that info available to the 'select' function, we'll have to see how that turns up.

Very cool!

The killer app for this would be if you could type in 2 systems and it shows you the shortest route between them, but that would be challenging.

Maybe you could select a system, and then show all the systems that can be reached in 2 jumps, then 3, then 4...

casperXJ said:
Very cool!

The killer app for this would be if you could type in 2 systems and it shows you the shortest route between them, but that would be challenging.

Maybe you could select a system, and then show all the systems that can be reached in 2 jumps, then 3, then 4...

Nice ideas. If I find the time I will look into them.

Hello everyone.

I just remembered this little project and thought I'd ask if there is still interest in its further development.
The last build can be accessed at http://www.libertyconf.go.ro/nav/v2/ (sorry for the "Flash version message" that appears if you have Flash 8 installed, just click "continue anyway")
It can definitely be improved, functionally and graphically.

If you like the idea and the work I have done until now and you think I should continue working on this, if you don't think it's a good concept or you thought of a better way of doing this, take a minute and drop a message here.

Thank you.

as i said before, i'll say again Zal. Continue the work. Trust me when the project is done it will be very popular amoung those who wishes to observe the whole known WC universe with the sectors and star systems in the interactive mode, rather than take a look at an image map :p

Back