The timeline from KS

vindicator

Rear Admiral
The timeline of KS always intrigued me. I was wondering who wrote it , either the timeline or the manual itself. Are there raw drafts of these manuals and timelines sitting around somewhere? Is this the first issued cannon timeline in the WC universe? Also, in looking at my game boxes, WCIV was copyrighted the same year as KS. So how much did Chris Roberts have to do with KS's production.

-Rance-

We had a timeline of sorts in the original wc1 manual. it was far from complete. WC3 and armada also featured more timelines. Armada's one even included stuff from the books and the same timeline from the kilrathi's perspective. I don't know KS manual nor its timeline, but it was far from baing the first.

Yeah, the KS manual stuff is mostly a compilation of the earlier manuals with a few additions. WC4 came out in February 1996 and KS in the fall.

The first timeline came with 'Claw Marks'. The majority of Wing Commander manuals come with a timeline of some sort. The one included with Kilrathi Saga is just a plain reprint of the Victory Streak timeline - it's not altered in any way.

It's a misnomer that Chris Roberts is responsible for Wing Commander's fiction - he did things like develop 3D engines and direct film shoots. He did these things for all the elements of KS (WC1/WC2/WC3), but left Origin before KS was developed/published.

Bandit LOAF said:
The first timeline came with 'Claw Marks'. The majority of Wing Commander manuals come with a timeline of some sort. The one included with Kilrathi Saga is just a plain reprint of the Victory Streak timeline - it's not altered in any way.

It's a misnomer that Chris Roberts is responsible for Wing Commander's fiction - he did things like develop 3D engines and direct film shoots. He did these things for all the elements of KS (WC1/WC2/WC3), but left Origin before KS was developed/published.

Thanks for that info LOAF. So, who do we call the father of our universe's fiction, as in, who has compiled and written the most about it? Would it be the author of claw marks? (His name escapes me at present, but I saw you guys meet him in D*C photos )

-Rance-

vindicator said:
Thanks for that info LOAF. So, who do we call the father of our universe's fiction, as in, who has compiled and written the most about it? Would it be the author of claw marks? (His name escapes me at present, but I saw you guys meet him in D*C photos )

I always resist people trying to pin down one important person responsible for such huge things. A whole lot of great people developed the fiction over the years.

Point taken LOAF and Chris. Now a topic drift, I hope Joe(Origin Museum) reads this. I was going through alot of my WC manuals books and boxs, CD covers and I am noticing a bit of decay. Now, I live in a dry and dusty place and need advice on preserving all types of items, from manuals to boxes and possible restoring efforts that might be made. Especially with a manual caked with dust.

Any help in this area is appriciated.

-Rance-

As far as I can tell, the primary people for creating the WC universe were:

Aaron Allston (Claw Marks)
Ellen Guon (WCII, Freedom Flight)
Forstchen, Keith, Ohlander (Novels)
Tuesday Frase, David Ladyman, Melissa Mead, John McLean (Details)
Mark and Michael Edens (Wing Commander Academy)
Chris McCubbin, Peter Telep (Terran Confederation Handbook, Movie novels)

This is, of course, by no means complete, as this sort of thing is always a team effort. There really wasn't any plan for the way WC came about - it just sort of evolved. Even the WC Universe bible has remnants of the old "Squadron" press release in it ("You are one of the Imperial Navy's elite pilots off the 36th Fleet troubleshooter Tiger's Claw", or somesuch).

It's worth noting a good deal of the background people came from other areas of gaming. Ladyman, for example, worked on the Renegade Legion sourcebooks for FASA back in the late '80s.

What I have collected are most of the novels from the WC universe excluding the novesl based on the movies, the games manual for kilrathi sage, prophecy and download the references of the net
what kind of information/timeline are you looking for??

Bob McDob said:
As far as I can tell, the primary people for creating the WC universe were:

Aaron Allston (Claw Marks)
Ellen Guon (WCII, Freedom Flight)
Forstchen, Keith, Ohlander (Novels)
Tuesday Frase, David Ladyman, Melissa Mead, John McLean (Details)
Mark and Michael Edens (Wing Commander Academy)
Chris McCubbin, Peter Telep (Terran Confederation Handbook, Movie novels)

Somewhere someone said that the WC3 and 4 novelizations were based of of the Scripts... which were penned by Frank Depalma (?) and Terry Borst.

How much creative freedom they were given I don't know, but I think a lot of the ships and plot details were probably in place before they got their hands on the material.

I dont know much about it mate
but from what I can guess the author would have been given a whole lot of info of the ships and background of the Kilrathi War before starting their novels so I dont know much about who wrote what

Dahan said:
what kind of information/timeline are you looking for??

The most cannon account/Timeline for the Kilrathi war.

Looks like TC posted one with the most pre-war stuff, thanks TC

-Rance-

I guess I haven't used that word enough for it to be normal use for me. Thank you for the correction. Indeed that's what I was looking for. :)

Back