The "the price of freedom" Movie Project

BrynS said:
The other option and the one I would recommend, would be to use and suggest a media player like Media Player Classic (available at Doom9) or VLC Media Player -- the DivX Player also allows you to toggle between streams.

To test compatibility with different media players, I encoded a short WC4 DVD sample with 2 audio streams [384kbps CBR 5.1 AC3 & 192kbps CBR Stereo LAME (MP3)].
The sample works fine with xine 1.0.

A while back I personally had a small movie project myself, but without flight scenes. But at that time, I had no means to burn a DVD, so I made a VCD. Now, driven by reading about AD's project, the last few days I did go back and made a DVD version of my project (thank god I kept my documentation of my ordering of the movie clips). I even tried to include a second audio track (extracted from the German CD version). It looks promising. I learned a lot about authoring a DVD the last week :D

After so much work I had the last week with this project, it would be silly not to fix a small error in the movie files.
The DVD version is missing sound in a short clip (SC_2470C.vob) and I want to reintegrate the sound in my Movie-DVD.

As I only have the DVD version and the German CD Version, I have no source for the English soundtrack of this short clip. So if somebody has the English CD Version and would be so kind to help me out, I would appreciate it.
You would only have to extract the first movie clip of the fifth disc with HCl's Movie Player, extract from it the audio (e.g. with VirtualDub) and send it to me. I then extract the missing few seconds and will convert it to DVD compliant audio data. Just send me a PM, if someday is willing to help me out. Thanks.

TomGaines said:
(thank god I kept my documentation of my ordering of the movie clips). I even tried to include a second audio track (extracted from the German CD version). It looks promising.

So your basicaly sticking all the video clips in a specified path onto a DVD? or are you attempting anything beyond that? I think I made it clear earlier in the thread why I was going for something different. Granted there are those who may be unble to play the game (I wouldn't know why, unless they dont have 1/ a computer/ 2 a copy of the game). Otherwise while watching the vids in order may be a good personal project which will teach you alot about the game, everyone elses time would be better spent just playing the game .

Let me know how it goes using two audio tracks on a DVD. I wouldn't mind your help if you get it to work... Speaking of which , even though I don't understand german, do you have all the audio in german extracted scene specific? While I'm only working in english for the downloadeable version, i might be able to use something like that for a dvd version of my project. (you would be credited for any work you did of course)

My goal is to make a watchable movie for a normal DVD Player. Something like you do, but without the extra work you do. I played the game to death ten years ago. Now I only want to watch the movie on TV with DD 5.1 sound. It would have been nice to integrate some of the inflight communication, but I don't have the time and patience for it.

I'm making four different movies, so every video clip is used.
(1) Defect at earlier point, Circe War, and always positive answers
(2) Defect at earlier point, Circe War, and always negative answers
(3) Defect later, Weapon's raid, and always positive answers
(4) Defect later, Weapon's raid, and always positive answers

The few scenes (mainly the ejection pod pickups and such) that are left will be on the DVD as deleted scenes.

I first tried it a nice, but complicated way. I put all the videos in one file and made a chapter point for every scene and created a menu to select a version. Then the movie would play after a certain tracklist (created by DVD-lab PRO). The problem was, the scene changes were to hard to pin-point and the beginning of a scene would always contain a few frames of a different scene.

Now I'm putting the four versions on four discs with chapter selection.

As for the German soundtrack:
I extracted every audio bite scene specific, converted it to a 48kHz 192kbit mpa-file and named it similar to the DVD files (e.g. 0010A.mpa, 0010AB). It took me two whole days.
I'm using DVD-lab Pro for authoring the DVD. It's really easy to use and you can create multiple audio and subtitle tracks.
I'm happy to answer all questions you might have. I can the save the audio files for a while if you decide to work with them in the future.

Thanks again to BrynS for providing me with the missing sound bite!

I finished my small Wing Commander IV project. I had unreconstructable problems regarding the German audio track. At my first try it worked quite well but there were about 20 seconds where the sound was missing. So I redid it, but every time I tried anew, the german audio track was a few seconds short and so the audio became asynchronous. After countless tries with different tools, I got a working multi-audio movie of my first version of WC4. But as I tried the same method on my other versions, the German audio came again short. So I scrapped the German audio for the other three versions and did them without German soundtrack.

My next little project: Wing Commander 3
Of course the problem is the crappy video source material of the CD version. But after a first test, I was positively surprised. Of course the result is still far from DVD quality but it is surprisingly watchable. I would even go so far to say, it even looks slightly better than in-game.

The process is quite cumbersome:
1) extract all movies from CD with trax.exe
2) scenes with multiple versions need to be split with splitmve.exe and merged again into different files with mergemve.exe
3) resulting mve files ripped to avi with HCl's movie viewer
4) direct stream copy with virtualdub to correct running time
5) encode avi to DVD compliant MPEG2 with added black bars to keep aspect ratio (e.g. with TMPGEnc)
6) edit files together in correct order with VideoReDo
7) compile DVD with DVDlab Pro

[trax.exe, splitmve.exe and mergemve.exe are from wc3movie.zip taken from this website]
At this point I would like to thank Lars Hederer for his utilities from wc3movie.zip and Mario "HCl" Brito for his movie viewer. Without their wonderful utilities this all wouldn't be possible.

Thanks for the update TomGaines!

If it's not too much trouble, would it be possible for you to provide a 30-60 second XviD or DivX sample from your WC4 project that includes at least one transition between two different scenes -- I'm interested to see the final product! If you need somewhere to host the sample, let me know.

Regarding the WC3 project, I would also echo your praise for Lars Hederer's (is this the same person known as Gevatter Lars on these forums?) utilities -- a good couple of years back, when I was still using the DOS command prompt more often than Windows Explorer, I can recall using Lars' utilities to create segments of merged WC3 movies according to the order I had specified in a text file. At the time, I was hoping to compile one large mve containing all the relevant video sequences, but was limited by only having an 850MB hard drive -- how times have changed! On my main pc, I now have ~280GB's and plan to expand to ~500GB in the next few months. When I first played WC3, I only had a 120MB hard drive!

I assume that your are using Lars' utilities to essentially "edit" the wc3 files into the correct order so that no editing will be required after ripping to avi via HCL's movie viewer, although as you say, it will be rather cumbersome. Perhaps you could just use HCL's viewer, rip all relevant files to avi, then edit/cut in VirtualDub, compressing the video only using a lossless codec like Huffyuv and then encode/compile to MPEG2?

Cheers,

BrynS

I guess I should chime in for a bit of an update of my own. I'm still making progress although it looks like I'm in for a very hectic april. So, while I intend to keep at it, progress might be a bit slower (although I didn't work on it much last week (needed a short break).

So far I have completed gameplay videos up to the point of the Kilrathi encounter (meleks ships) In the final product I will not be representing every mission in the game as that would be too repetitive for a movie. However I hope you will all be pleased with the final outcome. I am trying to make sure that any bit of gameplay neccessary to make the story flow coherently is included. The sample clip is still typical of thses segments (although I am mostly using wc4 music with a bit of 3 and prophecy mixed in where it doesnt sound obtrusive. This is actually not to bad considering its all Oldziey) I think that I have improved my technique and have been able to put in a few more interesting shots and perspectives.

I keep strugling with my self to find the balance between pickyness and getting it done. I don't want to rush, but it can be a tedious process having to sort through all the shots and clips and trying to fit the gamplay into a coherent segment that is neither too brief nor too long. I might be able to work something out if you guys would rather have the first portion completed (relatively soon) as opposed to waiting for the whole thing. Personally I think it improves the process if I dont do much actual production (except to see if theres something missing) untill I have all the pieces I need.

Note to myself: Make clip using Blairs summons to the briefing room. Overlay audio on top of hallway stroll and put final vid before eisens defection mission.

Thanks for your update, AD!

The music element of your project should be interesting -- I've always enjoyed Oldziey's orchestrations -- hopefully future Wing Commander games will be able to hire him, although he seems to be moving on up to movie orchestration.

As far as releasing the first portion in the near future and then the remainder in portions as you complete it or waiting until the entire project is completed, I for one am easy either way, although if the latter is better suited to your work regime then I would recommend forging ahead with that option, as I don't mind waiting as long as it takes if you are satisfied with the end result. I can appreciate the ongoing dilemma you describe regarding keeping a balance. Waiting until you have all the relevant scenes should also give you more flexibility in trying to see which scenes work better/flow or need to be cut/trimmed, etc.

Cheers,

BrynS

BrynS said:
If it's not too much trouble, would it be possible for you to provide a 30-60 second XviD or DivX sample from your WC4 project that includes at least one transition between two different scenes -- I'm interested to see the final product!
I didn't put any special transitions between scenes, because I didn't want to reencode the existing mpeg2 files. I thought it looked just fine without them.
But I found a new tool today (MPEG Video Wizard), which can edit mpeg2 files with ac3 sound and only needs to reencode the frames with the transitions. I think I will redo at least one version of my WC4 project with transitions.
Here is a small clip (divx-encoded) with a transition I tried today.

BrynS said:
Regarding the WC3 project, [...]
I assume that your are using Lars' utilities to essentially "edit" the wc3 files into the correct order so that no editing will be required after ripping to avi via HCL's movie viewer, although as you say, it will be rather cumbersome.
I used Lars' utilities to split every mve file. The result are many single mve files (every change in camera angle is a new mve file). Then I merged them again so that every segment is one file (very much like the vob-files on the WC4 DVD).
For example:
140_1 Vagabond, if released early
140_2 Vagabond, if released later by Eisen
140_3 Vagabond cont.
140_4 Vagabond +
140_5 Vagabond -

Then I encoded these files with HCl's viewer to avi, which I then encoded in mpeg2. Now these videofiles can get the same treatment as the wc4 files regarding editing.

One fun thing I did with the WC4 DVD is to put an easteregg on it. At the time that WC4 was released, a german PC game magazin dubbed a short clip from wc4 in a funny way. I took the audio from this almost ten year old avi-file and put it together with the videostream of the scene from the DVD version.
If anyone is interested in this small clip, I put it up as divx here. I created englisch subtitles for the non-german speaking community.

The funny vid you posted...wasn't it the PcPlayer? They made a lof of stuff like that...and with the better quality its fun.

Yeah, it's from PCPlayer. I have another one for WC3, but it's German only (without subs) and with the bad video quality of a 10 year old avi.

Thanks for the vids!

Regarding your WC4 movie projects, roughly what is the length of each complete movie and how large are the files? Can you fit one movie on a DVD5 (4.7GB)? Thanks for the heads up on MPEG Video Wizard -- I'm going to try it out.

I really enjoyed the WC4 "Fun" clip -- Oh, you wanna get interactive? :D What is the gist of the WC3 "Fun" clip?

Cheers,

BrynS

BrynS said:
What is the gist of the WC3 "Fun" clip?
Basicly Tolwyn transphers Blair to the editorial office of PC-Player. And like with the Victory Blair issen't happy with that.

They (PC-Player) made many funclips like that and put them on the CD's wich where sold with the Mag.
Those where the days ( or what was that saying? )

Ok I tried to translate the WC3 movie but my english isn't the best...here we go.

Blair: Excuse me Sir?
Tolwyn: Are my order so incomprehensible?
Blair: No Sir, but...
Tolwyn: The PcPlayer has an outstanding crew...the working climate is excellent...I am aware that you need some time till you get allong with these guys.
Blair: No Sir your orders...
Tolwyn: Good god their where no volunteers so I just picked you for the job.
Blair: Thank you Sir but could we at least clearify...
Tolwyn: Their isn't anything to clearify...Rheinhard and Lenhard are informed and it is ok you will test all spacesimulations.

Thats roughly it.
PS: I think I have to dig up my old collection of PCP cds ^_^
PPS: Reinhard and Lenhard where editors of the PCP at that time.

Lars beat me to the translation :( . But here's my version I put together before I checked the forum. Would have been better, had I checked beforehand :D :
B: Excuse me, sir?
T: Are my orders so incomprehensible?
B: No, sir. I just can't...
T: The "PC Player" has an excellent crew,
the working environment is super!
Of course it's clear to me, that you need time
to get used to those guys.
B: No, sir. I'm not suggesting that your orders...
T: My god, because there were no volunteers,
I had to assign you to the job.
B: Thank you, sir.
But can't we at least clarify...
T: There's nothing to clarify,
both Schneider and Lenhardt are notified,
and it's alright, that you're testing all space simulations

It was (Boris) Schneider, not Reinhard ;)

The Blair part is the original german dub from the game, but Tolwyn is done by one of the PCPlayer crew (I think Toni Schwaiger; hey I still remember the names :) )

I'll try to put together a new version with better video quality and english subs, if anybody is interested. The problem is, that it's not a continuous clip from the source, but some seconds are edited out in-between.

gevatter Lars said:
PS: I think I have to dig up my old collection of PCP cds ^_^
I already did. I think I will put all videos together on one DVD.
I remember one clip, that could be interesting for this community. It's a dubbed scene from Rebel Assault 2. If there is interest, I'll make a subbed version and put it up.

BrynS said:
Thanks for the vids!
No problem.
BrynS said:
Regarding your WC4 movie projects, roughly what is the length of each complete movie and how large are the files?
Each version fills exactly a 4.7GB DVD. The versions are about 145-170 minutes in length.

Back