The Tayla missions

SixGun

Spaceman
I remember from the origional when Tayla's pirates installed the hidden smuggler's compartment, it stayed installed for the rest of the campagn and beyond. (Came in handy for Lynch's gun run and any contraband you scooped up with a tractor.) It seems to go away right after you run Tayla's last load in the remake. :(
Also, I don't remember militia fighters waiting to wail on me as I came out of jump points. I either passed the contraband search or I didn't, and if they found the brilliance, I could hit the 'burners and run for the next jump or the base. They'de forget about the dope as soon as I docked, instead of chasing me all over Gemini.
Tayla says she spread some bribes around, and in the origional it got most of the law off my butt. In the remake she's lying about those bribes, the militia are still hounding me. :(

Yes, I have had that problem too....

When I did the run to New Constantinople, at the exact moment I jumped into the NC system, I heard the militia call me nasty names and start firing as though I had walked into a "Cops" trap. (Bad boys, bad boys) No "you are going to be searched"

After I docked and left, they still chased me. I did some pirate missions to get them off my back....I was quite suprised to say the least!

Starblazer

Right, I just passed this point myself. The militia faction rating is listed at -100, but I can't seem to lift it no matter how many pirates I kill. Do I have to find rescue militia missions or something like that? Any advice on getting the militia to like me again would be greatly appreciated!

Mixolyde said:
Right, I just passed this point myself. The militia faction rating is listed at -100, but I can't seem to lift it no matter how many pirates I kill. Do I have to find rescue militia missions or something like that? Any advice on getting the militia to like me again would be greatly appreciated!

You must have killed some militia. My militia rating dropped to -3 after the first contraband run, from Troy I went out to Eden dodging militia and hunted Retros, soon everybody loved me, even the pussies (makes rescues quite profitable and easy). I took the alternative route on the New Constantinople contraband run, no cops.

Keep talking nicely to them. Repeat friendly greetings for several dozen times... IIRC it's C + 1. Talking friendly has a positive effect on your rating.

Alrighty, I did have to kill a few of the militia. But I remember killing a half dozen in the original and it not changing my rating that drastically. I'll hunt more retros and do rescues, I guess.

I tried to run from the militia instead of fighting them. It's a tactic that worked in the origional, it made the cops forget about the brilliance.
The tactic don't work in the remake, though. They pester me anyway.
Here's a brainstorm: Instead of the bogus smuggler's hold and the fake bribes, Tayla gives you a cloaking device.
And no f***ing cops blasting me without a contraband search first!!!

The main problem is that there really is no provision for hidden cargo in the VS engine, the hidden_brilliance cargo is a bit of a hack.

A solution I considered is very convoluted: have a fake turret with a tractor beam and some cargo space; eject your contraband; tractor it in from said turret; do your run; go to that turret; eject contraband; tractor it in from the main ship.

Confed/militia/etc scan only your main ship, so you are in the clear.

Again, it IS convoluted but realistically hiding cargo someplace would be convoluted as well. For balance, the fake turret would have no guns (or only 1 gun at best).

Back