The show must go on

Starman©

Spaceman
Now, with the current situation cleared out again, we could finally get back to business. I'm going to post this here as a result of our decisions we took out of the situation within the last few days and what we discussed a few minutes ago.

In conjunction to this post here : http://www.crius.net/zone/showpost.php?p=313010&postcount=23

@Loaf : Thanks for your public clarification about the current incident and reinstating Saga and all of its members after the bans that resulted from the misunderstanding that occured. Also, thank you for your apology, we really appreciate that.

Like Loaf already pointed out, there are undoubtably personal issues between both sides, and at least at this time I can't see a way of bringing these to a quick end. But nevertheless, I'm convinced that we all will be able to continue our work (with "our" I mean WCS as a modding group and the CIC-Staff as Leaders, Hosters and Beholders of the WC-Community) in a professionell manner and push personal (mis)feelings aside, or at least to private discussions where they belong.

We would like to clarify that it has never been our intention to harm any other mod, and our team has never made any efforts to intimidate or discourage other mod teams from completing their projects. In the incidences in which we have had disagreements with members of other mods, ammends have been made and personal issues have been patched up long ago. We are not responsible for the demise of any other project, and seek to support other mods as much as possible. We would also like to vouch for the character of our team member, Sphynx. I invite anyone that would like more clarifications to take a look at our HLP boards where there is a lengthy thread on these issues. We do not feel the need to rehash things here again, but we do want to make our own explanations available to anyone that wish to know more.

Regarding the forum-moderation, I think leaving the moderation to the project heads is the right choice (I know this from most other communities I visit) as long as the project heads follow the common rules of the forum and the community overall. Nevertheless, an administrators word is always final (that's why they are there) if rules are broken, and only then.

Now, for my last point I want to take on the suggestion of Loaf that we release a few of our older models to the puplic. Actually we had in mind releasing a modeldump after we have released the prologue, but we have discussed that issue too, and actually it will not hurt us releasing a few models now. We will take up a package within a few days (most properly already converted for the freespace-engine, extracting a mesh file is very simple then for other purposes). And once the prologue is released, everyone will be able to use the game data to create campaigns in the freespace engine, so there will be lots of stuff to work with.

So this pretty much sums up our views and feelings about the current situation. We have been working on WCS for a long time now, because we all love Wing Commander, and we hope that after the release even more new members can be attracted to this great game universe. But we will reach that goal only if we all work together.

The community is the goal here, we should never forget that

This here is the true core for which we are all here and what we all should have learned out of this matter. We forgot this one too in the past, with a negative effect on all of us. This should never happen again.

Best regards,

Starman & Tolwyn
and fellow staffmembers

I'm glad that Saga is back. I'm not at all happy about LOAF not being an administrator anymore, though...

I know every body makes mistakes I like Loaf as an administrator he makes quick witted comments and is full of wing commander facts. I think he feels bad about making one mistake and is turning around and making another one.

I hope he stays on as an administrator as his posts are very entertaining and informative.

Stone48420 said:
I know every body makes mistakes I like Loaf as an administrator he makes quick witted comments and is full of wing commander facts. I think he feels bad about making one mistake and is turning around and making another one.

I hope he stays on as an administrator as his posts are very entertaining and informative.

His posts won't be any less entertaining or informative now that he is no longer going to be an administrator.

Now, for my last point I want to take on the suggestion of Loaf that we release a few of our older models to the puplic. Actually we had in mind releasing a modeldump after we have released the prologue, but we have discussed that issue too, and actually it will not hurt us releasing a few models now. We will take up a package within a few days (most properly already converted for the freespace-engine, extracting a mesh file is very simple then for other purposes). And once the prologue is released, everyone will be able to use the game data to create campaigns in the freespace engine, so there will be lots of stuff to work with.

That is AWESOME

The community is the goal here, we should never forget that

Amen to that

Dyret said:
I'm glad that Saga is back. I'm not at all happy about LOAF not being an administrator anymore, though...
You know, back in 2000 or so, I used to be the main moderator for all the CIC forums. Because of this, I ended up being a jerk to a lot of people (without actually meaning to), and causing a lot more arguments than I actually stopped. Now, when the admins finally decided to demote me, I definitely wasn't happy about it (though I was more than a little relieved) - but looking back, I'm very glad. I've enjoyed this community far more since then (and the community is better off too)... and one thing I always kinda regretted (though not much - it's just an internet forum, after all :p) is that I didn't have the presence of mind to do what LOAF just did - to give up my rank by my own choice rather than just getting into bigger and bigger fights until somebody else decided to do something about it.

Quarto said:
You know, back in 2000 or so, I used to be the main moderator for all the CIC forums. Because of this, I ended up being a jerk to a lot of people (without actually meaning to), and causing a lot more arguments than I actually stopped.

:eek: :(
That is the hard part of being a moderator...you have to slam the lid occasionally and it takes luck, wit, and tact to keep it from being too acrimonious... The last thing you want is to drive off a bunch of members, but you can't let the forum get unruly and junky with bad threads and flame wars...

Personally, I respect LOAF walking away rather than making it personal...it takes a big man to do that...and LOAF's one of the bigge...er....um...wait that doesn't sound right!!! ACK! :D :D :eek: ;)

Back