The Ships of Privateer 3 (August 11, 2008)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
This is the first of our 'Mythic Sample' updates - this one shows off press images of ships rendered to promote Privateer 3. The first set shows the Demon-class fighter with various engine upgrades. Then comes the Dralthi V (finally!), the Drayman (another design?!), the Fury, the 'main boss' Kilrathi station, the Manowar-class Cruiser, the Traket and the Vaktoth.

--
Original update published on August 11, 2008

Last edited by a moderator:
The Traket reminds me of the concept sketches of DS9's "Defiant". They definately look similiar.
(They should've completed the game! *cries*)

Very nice. Was the Demon supposed to be a Kilrathi ship or could you use Kilrathi technology in your human fighter? Or is it just a cool looking human fighter?

And so I did and enjoyed it very much. So you could use Kilrathi hulls...but is the Demon one of them? Did I overread it?

I'm curious, any idea as to why they changed the design of the Vaktoth, and by extension, the Dralthi, so drastically? I know the Dralthi is a Dralthi V, thus a newer design, but it looks substantially different from traditional Kilrathi designs.

The Dralthi V looks to me like it was designed with kilrathi privateers in mind, its not a throwaway craft like the dralthi2 and not a performance vehicle like the dralthi 7 or 9, but it is a perfect cargo vehicle with teeth.

I love that the Vaktoth was scaled way back on size and armor, considering how many of them you manage to destroy in Wing Commander III despite heavy armor and ordinance. Now it looks like a great blend of wing commander II and III design influences.

Just an observation: a few of these pictures have been published before, albeit not with such nice clarity. Except back then, the Fury was labelled as the Crusader.

<shrugs> Not nit-picking, just observing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just realized, the Drayman and Fury also look very similar to ships from Starlancer. I imagine that's no coincidence. Didn't a few of Origin's artists go on to Digital Anvil or something to that effect?

Did anyone else notice how small the cargo hold is on the Drayman? It looks like it would have a massive hold.

I love the ship designs. Especially the fury and the new Vaktoth.

Oh, and the Fury is the "Crusader" now, right? (S*S p. 58)

I just realized, the Drayman and Fury also look very similar to ships from Starlancer. I imagine that's no coincidence. Didn't a few of Origin's artists go on to Digital Anvil or something to that effect?

Yes they did, some of the same people who worked on this stuff worked on Starlancer and Freelancer and the WCM.

Back