The Proper remake discussion

Spacemage

Spaceman
http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=17090

So anyone up to making it?
I tried looking at the source myself, but I do not know where to start.
Most things that need doing are not even sourcecode changes but data changes.

My priority list would be:

*Fix prices and remove all the stuff that was not in the original
*Fix the base interface, especially the shipdealer
*Remove the stock limit for weapons, especially the rockets and torpedos
*Nav computer
*Make a rocket and a torpedo launcher, I can not imagine why that is so hard but I do not know the engine...
*Make the balance like in the original, weapons and ships both need work.This would be the biggest part of the work, since it is trial and error mostly.
*Fix the misson generator
*AI changes
*all the other stuff, like the asteroid field

What do you think?

Have no fear, the development team is working on version 1.01, will will include bugfixes and at least some of the "proper" changes.

No, I'm not sure; I'm not one of the developers, so you'd have to ask them.

However, I can say with assurance that they have stated that there will be a 1.01, and they have stated that there will be no milspec ships avaialble in 1.01. I'm sure there are more references if you poke around; this is just a quick regurgitation from memory.

Dumb question perhaps, but who are the devs? Is there a mailing-list, irc channel or the like that is used to coordinate the effort?

One person is working very slow on "The Proper Remake" yes and of course there will be a next version of the remake as well someday. Most likely a few 1.x versions of the remake will show up before "The Proper Remake" will be released...

Well if I read the coments in the forum correctly, many things that where not in the original are there to stay, by public demand and the personal opinion of the devs.(like the ability to fly the extra ships or sliding)
The way I see it the devs do not want to recreate the original but a modernised version(not only high quality grafik and runable on modern systems).
That is not what I want, or rather I would like to go a different path.
Recreate the original original and go from there, that way you can always go back if a change does not work.

Get to know about the vegastrike engine at the vegastrike forums, then you can try to help us to create a "proper" remake.

I proper remake would be nice. It would give the canon "fans" *wink* a project to focus their energies on. And like Spacemage said, if something is messed up we could always use the proper remake as a launch point.

You know it's really idiotic to have 3 different wc projects and none of them is a complete game. Everyone is working on something but there seems to be no coordination at all. If the energies would be concentrated to put one project together, then use the sources for the more advanced project it would make more sense to me.

Right now the development leads right to nowhere, you know roughly where the project wants to go and stuff is finished to acomplish it someday but in that process there is so much wasted energy because there is nearly no organisation it's crazy and the funniest part, there is no guarantee for a good quality of the product because everyone only does what he likes to do and don't wanne hear criticism...

So well instead of rebuilding Privateer in a Remake we probably will have "A Remake" and "A Proper Remake" (how crazy is this?) and instead of finishing the remake first and then expanding it into a Wing Commander Universe which would benifit from the finsihed Privateer sources we are developing 3 projects at the same time and none of them is finished or will be in the next month/years...

You forgot making, say, a Wing Commander / Skies of Arcadia crossover...

With a Blair/Ramirez yaoi scene! Yummy!

(And pocket lint. Lots and lots of pocket lint.)

(And a teddy bear!)

Seriously though.

Proper Remake: Talk to John Cordell. (I owe you a Kamekh... School stuff first tho).

Remake: Talk to Mamiya or Hellcatv directly.

WCU: Talk to Cyberion.

Hey John its no biggy really. Check this out, some people may not want to make or play a proper remake, some may prefer a more middle ground game, while others may like a full no limits everything goes type game. But all 3 share a lot of common ground. They all share the same engine, and they all can more or less just plug in scripts as they are created/needed. Not a single person here is getting paid for anything so saying they should all jump on your projects band wagon is a little silly. If anything having something for everyone may attract more attention and more devs. Maybe a talanted artist would like to do texture art for WCU and is not very interested in playing a true to orginal WCP game for whatever reason. Both projects would get textures, but without a WCU neiter project would.

And WCU would certainly not be in the making if I didn't play Priv Remake and thought "hmm, you can fly a drayman? Cool, but I want turrets on it!"

Nothing new to me pal, i know the pros and cons so unfortunately we have to live with at least 2 unfinished projects in the next month or years :)

Spacemage said:
http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=17090

*Make the balance like in the original, weapons and ships both need work.This would be the biggest part of the work, since it is trial and error mostly.

What do you think?

Is there some possibility to influence a running Vegastrike from the outside to better tweak values; some type of debug mode?
Or do you always have to start Vegastrike again after tweaking some values.

Okona said:
Is there some possibility to influence a running Vegastrike from the outside to better tweak values; some type of debug mode?
Or do you always have to start Vegastrike again after tweaking some values.
Good question. I would like to know as well.

I will see what I can learn from the vega strike forum this weekend, not sure how much time I have though.

feel free to contact the developers... we'd like to help people to understand it.
there's irc.freenode.net #vegastrike or I have made my ICQ/AIM/MSN info available

Back