the perfect fleet

In response to posts about the usefulness of Capships- how much you value them prob. depends largely on what part of the WC universe you've lived in. In the books (and possibly Armada and other games I've never played) there are prob. nice stories of Capships accomplishing alot, but in the games I've played (WC3 and4), they don't seem to do as much- like sit there in the hopes that you mess up (i.e. fly in front of one of the yellow colored lasers). I can see Mad Cow's point of the missions you have to replay due to corvette missiles though- I might want a Kat Corvette or 2 armed with skippers- though they depend upon maneuvering close to the capships undetected- the capships would be especially useful when they're jump capable and can just pop in right next to the enemy. Without this, it would seem difficult to lumber up next to the enemy fleet without fighters intercepting them (and 1 or 2 decent fighter pilots will make short work of any Capship- which is the main reason I would rather have a bunch of fighters than a capship in the WC3 and 4 games. In other games the opposite is true- Homeworld2 has capships that can waste lots of fighters). I also had some use for them when being chased by enemies- when I'm out of missiles and have incurred heavy damage- just afterburn and autoslide to the fleet and fly circles around a cruiser until all the enemies are destroyed. But while they have these uses (and I'd guess more), based on WC3 and 4 it would seem more cost and combat effective to have a bunch of fighters/bombers than the equivelent of resources spent on a capship.

lol, which begs the question, if you go by the WC games' respective engines- why not just make a bunch of WC3 transports with hangers built on to them? (seeing as "ships-of-the-line" go down from one fighter without too much more trouble) :) (especially seeing as capships in WC3-4 seem to lack the long range AMG's WC2 ships had)

Sorry, I love WC's plotlines and dogfights better then any other spacesim, and I think Freespace did a much better job implementing capships! (Freespace 2 capships could actually defend themselves pretty well!)

Hey, on a related note, does anyone remember the nuke on the morningstar in WC2? Too bad Confed didn't grow a brain and load those into missile turrets on capships- launch a salvo of those at a bomber formation, and watch the capship to bomber loss rate improve dramatically! :)

Back