The original Vampire fighter?

Haha, I agree, especially when the stubby wildcat is parked next to its bigger, badder brother, the Hellcat!
oops! sorry, didn't mean for these to be two different posts!

The most annoying thing on the Wildcat is manually raising the landing gear. and the fact that it is really slow.

Of course I'm talking about a flight simulator, but hey, it's annoying anyway. I'd much rather fly the almighty F4F-UD Corsair. The Hallcat is not bad either.

But my favorite WW2 aircraft is the Mosquito. Really pretty!

I too like the de Havilland Vampire

vamp-01.jpg

BTW Fatcat, are you a scale modeler? That aircraft looks great in your post. What scale is it in? Did you make it?

I am, actually, but that model isn't mine. I haven't done any modeling in a while, and that XF-103 model is a resin kit that costs over $150, well out of my price range. Sure is one purdy fighter there though.

Also TopGun: I see your Vampire and raise you a F7U-3 Cutlass:
f7umissiles.jpg

cutlass.jpg

Despite being unstable and underpowered, the Cutlass has a really interesting design.

Very interesting. Anyway, for me, greatest merit of the de Havilland Vampire is being feature on this this nice novel.

theshepherd.jpg

This is the Gloster Meteor, the first operational Allied jet fighter of the Second World War

Gloster.meteor.750pix.jpg

This is the English Electric Lightning, the only all-British production fighter capable of flying at Mach 2. The cockpit section of the Lightning was used as the cockpit of the Rapier in the Wing Commander Movie

Lightning.two.750pix.jpg

The Meteor was a nice one too. I really like all those early jets with wing-mounted engines.

The Mosquito is really pretty, check this screenshot I took while playing IL-2...

Attachments

• AcesHigh02-Crop.jpg
    AcesHigh02-Crop.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 191
The mosquito was incredible because of its high speed approach achieved through wooden construction. Most bombers in the interwar years strived to achieve what the Mosquito did, but all were eclipsed by the sudden surge in the top speed of intercetpor aircraft. As many have pointed out, the aircraft is beautiful to boot, and that is always a plus.

The Germans actually attempted to create their own version of the Mosquito (even naming their FW designed TA-154, the "moskito") but Mr. Tank's design proved all too taxing for the German resources available at the time to employ operationally.

I remember picking up a science magazine 8 years ago and seeing NASAs new design, a spacecraft concept. My jaw dropped because it was a spitting image of the Arrow. Does anyone have any info about this arrow-esque ship? Did NASA ever move on it?

I remember picking up a science magazine 8 years ago and seeing NASAs new design, a spacecraft concept. My jaw dropped because it was a spitting image of the Arrow. Does anyone have any info about this arrow-esque ship? Did NASA ever move on it?

It was the X-33, and it was cancelled in 2001 because it was overweight and too complex

Last edited by a moderator:
Hah, I loved Firefox when I was a kid. Never had a chance to watch it again :(
I mean, a really cool cold war spy movie with Clint Eastwood and mind-reading super-fighters?

The rudders in the cutlass are the similarity between it and the Arrow, I'd guess.

Back