The most loathed startfighter ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Falcon 3 and X-Wing taught me, it is possible to shoot missles badly. In WC, head on or while an opponent is afterburning away from you would usually lead to the missle doing something stupid.

Are You allowed to use the phrase "assclown" offensively without Psych's permission?!

Also - Hellcat.

And Tigershark.

Lionheart said:
You can't shoot missiles badly. They have tracking devices; all you do is point and click.

And if you're going to get right up in their faces, just use your guns instead.

Wrong way to shoot a missile: launch it when your opponent is coming at you from extreme range (he'll jink and dump decoys and spoof it easily)

Right way to shoot a missile: Get within about 3000 from any position other than head-to-head (in head-to-head he can shoot your missile down).

NEW said:
EDIT: The Dragon seemed to be almost as much of a deathtrap to me as the Ferret was.

I couldn't use it well. Wonder why. I blew things away in the Excalibur, but the Dragon hurts flying. It blows up too much.

In WC3 you are fighting against Vaktoths or other fighters that are significantly weaker than your own. In WC4 you are often fighting against other Dragons.

Sycorax said:
I think we had a discussion on auto-targeting, on how you could pay almost no attention to the game and still kill everything with it. I always though it was for babies. Plus I usually had one hell of a time hitting skipper missles with it on.

In what mission do you fly an Excalibur against Skipper missiles? I only remember three missions where you have to kill missiles: the one in Orestes where you must save the transports, the one in Locanda where you must save the planet from bioweapons, and the one where the Kilrathi cloak the jump point. In none of those three do you get to fly the Excalibur.

Now as for my least favorite fighter, I would have to say the Epee. It has only HALF the armor of the Ferret, less speed, and all that it gains is ITTS (not very useful when you are dodging all the time), longer gun range, and a pair of Dumbfires--and the dumbfires require you to get close enough to your target that you run the risk of getting shot down by turrets before launching them, so you are better off plinking with your long-range particle guns. Given the choice, I would much rather be in a Ferret than an Epee. Now, if the Epee had as much shields/armor as the Ferret, and had HS/IR instead of HS/DF, then it would be decent, but it doesn't.

>.>

The Arrow has Auto-Tracking too. Not as strong, but Auto-Tracking.

I'm a good pilot- It's just that I have horrible luck with certain fighters.

When I pray, something bad happens.

Oh, and you didn't do your homework. Those missles shot at Locanda are CAPMISSLES, not SKIPPERS.

Crappy Fighters: Bearcat and Hellcat. Id warm up to the Panther if the loadout was a bit better.

New said:
>.>

The Arrow has Auto-Tracking too. Not as strong, but Auto-Tracking.

I'm a good pilot- It's just that I have horrible luck with certain fighters.

When I pray, something bad happens.

Oh, and you didn't do your homework. Those missles shot at Locanda are CAPMISSLES, not SKIPPERS.

In the book if memory serves - they are Skippers. In the game, they ain't (at least they never cloak when I'm on them :p )

Most loathed fighter? - probably the Epee

gryphon said:
Are You allowed to use the phrase "assclown" offensively without Psych's permission?!

I'm pretty sure "assclown" was around before Psych.

If the guns could be recalibrated, the Bearcat would be an awesome fighter.

New said:

Locanda had the Skipper missiles shot at them, in the WC3 novel. The Kilrathi WERE testing them out before this, however, in game.

Capship Missiles have antimatter warheads - these babies had bioweapons onboard.

Definitly the Epee. And the Crossbow. It has some advantages, but the slow shield reload rate is the death spell to every Crossbow involved in a longer fight.

Bob McDob said:
If the guns could be recalibrated, the Bearcat would be an awesome fighter.

I totally agree! I loved the Bearcat. It was like a much-better version of the Arrow. Plus, tachyon weapons are my fave. Can't go wrong with four :D

I figured the Hellcat was going to end up as the majority vote, here :(

Col.Dom said:
Which is too bad, I loved the Hellcat. I think the Epee will always be the all-tiime worst, though the Hellcat will probably be a close second ;).

C-ya

Yes, I love the Hellcat too. My favorite fighter! I am glad to see that many dislike the Epee. That truly is the worst fighter ever. What were they thinking?

Col.Dom said:

People bashing the Hellcat is old hat. Practically everyone has done it at some point and history seems to say that most people dislike it. But bringing it up again and again is just not a good idea.

Being the contrarian S.O.B. that I am, the Hellcat isn't on my "hated ships" list. Likewise the Epee, although it's not exactly my favorite, either.

The Crossbow, on the other hand, deserves its place on my list. Crappy visibility, no afterburner (like the Broadsword), silly gun loadout that drains capacitor storage like crazy but doesn't give it shooting distance to try to hold the bad guys a bit away, and no side turrets (unlike the Broadsword). The Hornet's pitiful armament doesn't put it on my "must fly" list, either, but I don't hate it, as it does have handling to help compensate, quite unlike the Crossbow.

Although it's not one of my disfavored fighters anymore, for a long time I hated the Banshee because I couldn't figure out how to handle the autoslide :(

I like the 'sword, its the only ship that I've never been shot down in.

BTW, Bob, you're a mere 22 posts from custom rank. What will your title be?

There are skipper missles used on your wingmen during the Kilrah run(at least on the first, the corvette shoots them), so being the concerned flight leader that I am, I naturally tried to save him/her. I always needed to turn auto-aim off to get one from behind, but I could occasionally manage to nail it from the side with it on.

Yes, the Crossbow's got horrible vision, and so does the Rapier, oddly enough. The Epee isn't too bad for doing a burn-out though, but it's fairly mediocre otherwise.

I'd have to say I dislike the Rapier as represented in WC2 (Not real nuts about it in WC1, either).

The Epee is something akin to a manned missile with guns (Even looks kinda like one): Eventually, no matter what, it goes boom. (Except in UE. In UE, the Epee turned out to be a God-send. It was quick, decent (howbeit slow) guns, autoslide, and "front wheel drive", unlike the UE Scim, or that damned Gratha)

Wasn't in love with the Sabre . . but, then again, last time I flew one, I wasn't as good as I am now (and I still want to get better)

Vindicator. It has the hellcat syndrome. No real strongpoints . . kinda awkward in some ways.

Excalibur and Dragon: I hate "ultimate fighter" type ships.

Vampire. Damned thing left me overcorrecting because of its silly pitch rate. Guns felt a bit awkward to me.

Crossbow - amen to all previously mentioned reasons to hate the crossbow.

Favorite ships include: Raptor, Ferret, Broadsword, Arrow, Panther, Devastator (and, for good measure, Centurion :))

When your running with non-poly-accurate collision, the Rapier and the Hornet really bite. Epee wasnt that lame in any form ive played it, just had the "what if I get shot" problem.

Least favorite are the original-model Shrike from Prophecy, and the Hornet.

"Midline" fighters like the Hellcat and the Tigershark usually have SOME redeeming quality. Like the H-Cat's being able to dump 6 DFs into a capship in a real pinch, or the CMDs on the Tigershark. They may not be that exciting to fly, but they dont simply SUCK. Theyre just senselessly boring.

I'm more suited to bomber work than light-and-nimble fighting, myself. In WC1, I didn't have anything I really hated, but I wasn't all that fond of the Rapier ... I thought it was terribly overrated.

WC2, I didn't care for any of 'em really, although I thought the Broadsword was a very pretty ship at least. (The Crossbow on the other hand, well, until then I would never have expected a ship to look rude.)

In Priv, the only ship worth flying was the Centurion. Even the Galaxy, which was a pretty, pretty ship, flew like a cow. Ugh.

WC3, the Thunderbolt left me cold, but none of them were really bad.

WC4, no particular fave or anti-fave.

Prophecy, I didn't hate any of the ships really, but I got sick of the Wasp. (It's a perfectly good ship ... I just got sick of it.) No, wait, I take that back ... I hated the Shrike. Bombing is one thing; flying a brick is another all together. At least the Devastator had a BFG on the front! That was fun to use on capship components...

-The Gneech :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back