The Making of Victory's Gunnery Control (December 4, 2023)

I always wondered how gunnery control was supposed to function. Thinking about it now I guess it would function like any other fire control system but back then I wondered why a space carrier with no big guns needed a dedicated room for them.
It's interesting that they chose it as a location, though I'm probably just overthinking it and the brief was something like "we want a big room where the characters can look out into space."

I always wondered how gunnery control was supposed to function. Thinking about it now I guess it would function like any other fire control system but back then I wondered why a space carrier with no big guns needed a dedicated room for them.
It's interesting that they chose it as a location, though I'm probably just overthinking it and the brief was something like "we want a big room where the characters can look out into space."
Whatever the inflight guns are on the victory, you can see a pair of huge capship guns outside the window in those renders. I assume they are also anticapship guns of some sort and not the turrets that would be shooting down fighters. So presumably gunnery control might have some control over those turrets as well but it's probably more focused on the larger ordinance.

I wondered about those "guns" outside the windows; Are they cannons or are they the capship missile launchers?

Whatever the inflight guns are on the victory, you can see a pair of huge capship guns outside the window in those renders. I assume they are also anticapship guns of some sort and not the turrets that would be shooting down fighters. So presumably gunnery control might have some control over those turrets as well but it's probably more focused on the larger ordinance.

I wouldn't call them particularly huge. They could just be regular laser turrets.

I wondered about those "guns" outside the windows; Are they cannons or are they the capship missile launchers?

Given that they are pictured from gunnery control, the very strong implication is that those are guns. All of the various torpedo tubes and missile launchers pictured in the series are large and boxy, if not flush with the vessel. Never occurred to me that they could be anything but cannons.

I think they are supposed to be gun barrels. I'm pretty sure Chris Roberts' intent was for gunnery (no control in the actual script!) to be the setting for that particular 'framed by the superstructure' shot that you find in movies like Tora! Tora! Tora!:
maxresdefault.jpg

I also suspect the writers envisioned the set a little differently than it wound up... you have multiple scenes where the characters are supposed to be looking at something (Flash landing, Maniac complaining about obstacles, Hobbes possibly spying on something, etc.) that make it seem like they were imagining a shot that would look down and see the hull/deck.

Back of the envelope math here but scaled to the 720 meter Victory the turret barrels are roughly ten meters long. So the scale feels generally right for a turret. WHICH turret is a different matter, though... you immediately want to assume it's this one...

wc3_002.png

... but from the star movement and the placement of gunnery in relation to the other rooms in the lift I think it's actually supposed to be the upper front left turret:

wc3_004.png

(In which case yes it does look very big.)

Back