The Landreich and the Black Lance

PSJaguar

Captain
I haven't the Price of Freedom handy, nor can I recall if it's mentioned in that book, but did the Black Lance's shadow campaign extend to the Landreich, or was it directed only at the Border Worlds, ConFed, and Kilrathi?

I can't think of any direct action taken against the Landreich, but they did donate fighters to the Intrepid and Union of Border Worlds once things got going.

Part of me wants to think that Tolwyn would have left Kruger alone after all the two had been through in the 40 years since they met. It's not mentioned but you would hope that. Only a few years prior to WC4 Tolwyn was out in the Landreich in command of their newest toy...

We don't hear about any fighting in the Landreich, but that doesn't mean they were left alone - all it means is that WC4 took place elsewhere. Remember, at the end of False Colors, Tolwyn warns Bear about staying in Landreich. Also, supporting the Landreich's efforts to obtain a powerful Kilrathi fleet carrier could definitely fit into the general concept of creating new enemies for Confed to fight.

So, it may well be that nothing at all happened in the Landreich (an argument in favour of this view is the fact that Kruger was willing to lend some of his equipment to the Border Worlds, which he wouldn't be if the Landreich was in serious danger)... but it may be simply that we didn't hear about it because it wasn't really relevant to WC4's storyline.

There's also the matter that the games had not acknowledged the Free Republic of the Landreich as of the making of WC4.

That's a small matter, because the WC4 novelization does make a number of references to the Landreich and how it relates to the Border Worlds in this case.

We don't hear about any fighting in the Landreich, but that doesn't mean they were left alone - all it means is that WC4 took place elsewhere. Remember, at the end of False Colors, Tolwyn warns Bear about staying in Landreich.

I think we should look at this one closely, because one also gets the impression that Tolwyn was using the Landreich as a safe haven for his favorite officers... (they make a point early on that Tolwyn was the reason Lone Wolf and Bear were recruited).

It's probably also worth noting that one of Andrew Keith's sequels to False Colors was to be the Confederation going to war with the Landreich.

There's also the matter that the games had not acknowledged the Free Republic of the Landreich as of the making of WC4.

The timelines in Voices of War and Victory Streak both mention their role in Fleet Action.

Back