The Illiad vs. Troy

Zarathustra

Spaceman
Okay, i may be a geek, but i loved the illiad. The illiad must be one of the greatest books of all time. Honestly the rage of Achilles is one of the best plots there can be. To hell with the rest of the Trojan War (I shouldn't say that. I'm also a fan of greek tragedy which a lot of deals with the same theme), but the whole plot is amazing. Well constructed, great characters. Patroclus is one of the greatest most honorable characters in any work of literature. Diomedes is a complete badass. And you know achilles, wow he was cool. Maybe some of you don't think that such pride is cool, but i respect that. Anyways, some of you may be wondering the point to this thread.
What are some of your thoughts on the upcoming movie Troy? Are you excited as me (although i don't think that Diomedes is a character, if you want to know why that is a travesty, read book five of the Illiad, damn what a badass)?
I want to hear some thoughts about the book and movie.

I liked the book, but I don't think the casting choices for the main characters are that really good...
Orlando Bloom and Brad Pitt?
COME ON! IT'S A FRICKIN TEENYBOPPER FEST!
But it's the only way to get money, because most people don't care about Greek history..

True, but i like brad pitt, and orlando bloom is playing paris...paris was a pretty boy, so who better to play a pretty boy than a teeny bopper? Although you are right most people don't care about greek history or literature which is sad.

No, a real teeny bopper fest would have Freddie Prinze Jr, Brandy, Jennifer Love Hewitt, JLo (what kind of sad nickname is that?) and Brittney Spears. Why have I named all the singers turned actors??

Pitt and Bloom at least, are pretty decent actors. I have not seen the latest pirate movie yet, but Bloom was OK in LOtR and Pitt was OK in the various movies he's done. They really aren't that bad.

My favorite translation is Robert Fagles because it's accessable and retains a lot of the poetry.
Much better than Fitzgerald although his translations of greek tragedies are excellent.

Diomedes

I just had to say, even though its now october, that Diomedes is a badass, and to not have his character in the movie is a major downer. I must admit that Diomedes is my favorite character in the Illiad, he even fights gods, how awesome is that. Not enough can be said about him, he has no equal. I'd also like to say that the Illiad is awesome, and for a movie to live up to it would be near impossible, but it still could be very good. Its like the lotr, the movie's are way good, but never will compare to the books, but don't get me wrong, they're my favorite movies of all time. (Robert Fagles translation is the best.)

Personally I'm really looking forward to Troy. It's got a tremendous cast, and Brad Pitt is one of my favorite actors. I don't mind Orlando Bloom all that much--he was a pretty good Legolas, and while his teeny bopper following is damn annoying I can live with it. This movie's also got Sean Bean (woo!) as Odysseus (woo!) and Peter O'Toole (woo!) as Priam and Eric Bana as Hector, and a very capable director (Wolfgang Petersen). I think Troy will be just fine.

Orlando Bloom!....He reminds me of a cardboard cut out. Brad Pitt is good, when he is in a good movie, I am looking forward to Troy. Why did it take so long to make all these movies, Troy, ALexander, (the other alexander movie), and Hannibal. Gladiator came out years ago.
LOTR brought back swords and sorcery.

Achilles is one, if not the first, of my favorite heroes. If they mess him up, there may have to be some sort of searching for assassins. :)

Back