The Good Ole Days when this site meant something . . .

Icy

Spaceman
I'm just wondering if anyone was still arouns back in the day when little tid bits on WCP was something that we were all waiting patiently for, or when LOAF was almost thrown out of the site and the board was a war zone, i know LOAF is still around, he may remember me faintly or maybe not. I haven't been on the board since the WCMovie came out and the whole WC universe was falling . . . looks like this place followed the same path. The part that gets to me is the fact that i recognize maybe one or two names that posts on the board, and they have high "rankings" but im stuck labeled as a cadet. . . .

------------------
~Icy

No Attitudes Just Energy, You know what I'm talking about

LOAF? Nearly throw out of the site? Wow, must have really been a worzone. Well, myself I've been here since late '99. Though I've been lurking here and reading few posts earlier.

Oh, and have you seen the amount of posts this BB is getting? Almost 20,000 since January this year. This place is definetly not falling appart

What i mean is that its just not the same thing, the conversations are not the same, the atmosphere isn't the same, the people in here don't have that craving for the game like there used to be when there was still always something to look forward to, it's just not the same as it used to be

------------------
~Icy

Well, I don't mean to be rude, but... boo-hoo. Sure, there's no WC products in the near future, but so what? We still have a bunch of the earlier products, and we enjoy talking 'bout those. Oldies, but goodies as they say.

And as for your being stuck as a cadet even though you were here earlier... well, boo-hoo on that too. The rankings only mean that one posts more (since the beginning of the year 2000), which as a result means they're more of a geek for spending so much time here (yes, I'm insulting myself when I say that
wink2.gif
).

Sorry if I sound snappy, by the way.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Last edited by a moderator:
You do sound happy... did you just get laid or something?
smile.gif
Or better yet, you found a sealed copy of KS?

Icy, I don'w know how the conversations looked in the old days, but there's plenty of people here that feel about all of the games or novels just as I do. And that is, I'm very excited whenever I pick up a WC game or start reading a WC novel again, I just wish I could do that for "the first time" everytime.

I wish, Earthworm, I wish...
smile.gif

Boy, I'd like to replay all my WC stuff for the first time, too. I never truly appreciated it until afterwards.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Well, actually I did get to play WC1 two times for the first time.
smile.gif
Back in April last year, when I finally got my copy of KS, I started playing WC1, since I wanted to play through the games in order (actually I got WC4 at the same time, so I had 4 WC games that I've never player. YAY1
smile.gif
). Anyhow, after playing so much Prophecy I just wasn't used to dying after just one collision with a fighter, and the old graphics took some time to get used to. Not as much in the sense of how they looked, but difficulty locating various stuff on a small resolution of WC1, on a 16" screen. Anyhow, since it was so hard for me because I died on practicly every mission I used the invulrnable option, and played through the game and the add-on (actually, I don't belive I finished the add-ons succesfully at that time). Well, to make a short story long
smile.gif
I hated the game. I moved on to WC2, and loved it, so I decided to give WC1 another try. This time without any cheats, and it was almost as good as WC2.
smile.gif

Still, sooner or later the conversations just became worthless and non-meaningful, at least to me, i still love playing the games, reading the books, but one way or another there's jsut not enough to talk about after a while. Just me $.02

------------------
~Icy

Actually, it was quite hard to collide into fighters before WC3, the AI would do its best to out run you.
smile.gif

Wha? Quite often I find myself coliding with the WC1 AI, both wingman and enemy. Some of the Kilrathi ships slow down or turn at most inconvenient moment and cause you to run into them, or sometimes they just fly into you.
smile.gif

Icy said:
Still, sooner or later the conversations just became worthless and non-meaningful, at least to me, i still love playing the games, reading the books, but one way or another there's jsut not enough to talk about after a while. Just me $.02

Dont want to be rude, but if you feel that way, why do you bother to come here read the posts and say this? If its worthless, there is no point...
Btw sayng it is worthless and non-meaningful, is worthless and non-meaningful.

------------------
Well, its classified... i mean, i could tell you, but then i have to kill you...

Check when i registered this SN, this is the first time i've been back to the board since the WCMovie came out and started rippin the WCUniverse out of its roots, i just came back to see whats goin on with the WCP sequals the Origin promised us when the original WCP came out, and as i saw what the board had turned into, i frowned.
So in summarazation . . . bite me pleboid

------------------
~Icy

What exactly did it turn into? Yeah, there's an ocasional ass hole, or your average troll that passes by, yeah, sometimes there's a little less than friendly argument. But overall this board is far more civilized than most I've seen the last few years, and there really is something to talk about. Maybe if you hang around for a few day you'll find that out for yourself. You can't just show up one day and judge this site before you gave it a chance.

Hey Icy. I remember you. I just came back a few weeks ago after a two year absence and have been posting. The environment has changed a good deal. Mostly, it's because we don't have the immediate hope for more WC games, so all the constructive threads we used to have about features we'd like to see in future WC products (hoping Origin would see and take note) are absent.

I thought it was quite humorous reading the board rules. The one about not discussing controversial topics and no "something" vs. "something" threads I found quite humorous, as I can recall the original threads that I am sure inspired those rules. Although, I must say, I quite enjoyed the "something" vs. "something" threads. Also, I'm not sure I'm a fan of rule to not discuss things other than WC, as the rule seems to make the board a little less personal, but that could just be me since I really don't know the new people very well. I'm kinda disappointed there isn't anymore WCCTS (continue the story) going on too, as that was fun.

Would be cool to see some of the other old regulars pop by, like Rock, Whacko, Avenging Angle, Apoc, Backlash, Meph (whatever happened to all of his renderings?), FirstBlud, and Jumpstart and AceOfSpace who I worked on the Killer Bees and the Killboard with, respectively. Both of which, if anyone is interested, are saved for prosterity at at http://www.itctel.com/~dbeitfam/

Those seem to be the people that jump to my mind (after refreshing my memory by visiting the old derelict sites) as the people I had the most contact with.

Well, thats it for this little rant. Just had to reply after having a little chuckle recalling the falling out between LOAF and Dan "akbar" Hardwicke (sp?). Did he ever dare show his face at wcnews, or was his IP banned from the get go? Doesn't really matter now, but I think it's funny how quickly he vanished. That was one wierd power struggle, as LOAF seemed to pretty much run WCHS long before that feud ever started. I wonder if akbar actually thought he was going to come out on top...

[This message has been edited by Wolf Dog (edited October 10, 2000).]

You guys want a warzone check out the 3Dfxgamers message boards. Those guys are picking fights and flaming all the time. I would go there to find fixes for my Voodoo3 card. Nothing constructive ever came of it.

Icy's posts remind me of another message board... it's a close-knit online community that's been around a few years. In the last year or so, lots of people have been wishing for a past state - a "golden age" to return, so that all is parties and joy.

The thing then is that living in the past does nothing to help you in the present. Things change, and they don't change back. But because things are not the same as they were when you left Icy, it doesn't meant people are any less enthusiastic about Wing Commander, nor does it mean that anything anyone says here means nothing at all.

It's too bad that you miss the past Icy, but that doesn't mean that the present isn't as good.

------------------

§

Who doesn't miss the past? The older I get, the more I realize the past ruled. I don't have time to ever play games anymore, but when I do I prefer to play WC3, Priv, or Ultima 7. The only problem is, I don't own a computer capable of playing Priv or Ultima 7 anymore, and I don't really have time to play games period. If only for elementary, junior high and the early high school years when I had time to burn, and my biggest concern was finding something to do so I wasn't bored. What a departure.

Earthworm: I have never seen a troll on this or any web board. The closest thing this board has seen (at least in recent history) is probably Trelane.

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC
You are in no way entitled to any WC games, if you don't have them its your own damn fault.

Also, I'm not sure I'm a fan of rule to not discuss things other than WC, as the rule seems to make the board a little less personal, but that could just be me since I really don't know the new people very well.
Well, normally we don't discuss rules at the chatzone (there's a reason for that too), but it's definitely worth pointing out that the afore-mentioned rule does not prohibit non-WC discussions. It merely says that you should proceed with caution - ie., be careful that the topic isn't controversial enough to cause any flaming. Other than that, the only restriction is that you don't overdo it - at the end of the day, this is primarily a WC board.
I'm kinda disappointed there isn't anymore WCCTS (continue the story) going on too, as that was fun
We had one a few months back, and it wasn't pretty
smile.gif
. But, if you want, you're quite welcome to start one in the FanFic Forum. Who knows, maybe yours won't include Spiderman and orgies in the Victory's recroom...
wink2.gif

Back