The Final Tolwyn Thread (But maybe not)

LeHah

212 Squadron - "The Old Man's Eyes And Ears"
People constanly ask if Tolwyn was right. You know what I'm talking about people; but why does everyone harp on him? Everyone seemed to hate him on this board! Discuss! :)

well there was a poll on the CIC a long time ago where I think around 32% of peeps said they thought he was right. And I must agree, he was not right in his way of achieving his goal which can be seen as strengthening the COnfederation from outside threats and increasing unity among the population. He was wrong in his methods (pretty much all I can say is Telemon)

Yeah, he really wasn't all that bad. Why, if he hadn't ried to kill all of humanity save for the Lance, and had just engineered the Lance and not done anything with bioweapons, he probably wouldn't have been sentenced to death.

Oh, but, wait, he tried to kill most of humanity. That makes him in the wrong...after all, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Nep: That poll was over if he was right in End Run. Common misconception. :)

Then say that. If you ask whether or not he was right, without looking at the CIC, some will assume you mean "Was he right about the Black Lance" and such.

And some hate him because he tried to kill most of humanity.

Actually, I meant that poll was about End Run. This thread is about people hating Tolwyn for what he tried to do. I didn't like his methods but I agree, to an ascue way, with his reasons.

I disagree. If the Confederation cant survive without trampling people's rights, without dictateing the way people live, without giving them the choice to choose the direction they will follow, then maybe it shouldnt survive.

Its diversity is what makes it strong.

Well, the same can be said for any form of government Supdon. Everybody is willing to trade away a peice of their freedom for the illusion of safety. Most of it is to make white people feel safe. Dentists and beaurocrats and people who can't take a little dangerous fun.

I think the possibility that someone could put a bomb in my house is fun and exciting. Do you want to live in enui for the rest of your life? Can't people take a damned chance in this country? we're a bunch of finger-pointing whiny people who always blame the guy next to em. To all those people: Blame yourself or God.

I think Tolwyn would almost agree with me. Do you want to feel safe? Well, Tolwyn would certainly make who ever was left after the bioweapons bombing feel safe, since he had this elietest task force of superhumans. Then you got people complaining about rights being trampeled.

Think of it, as long as people have been around, people complain about the order. There is no pleasing them!

[Edited by LeHah on 07-22-2001 at 18:50]

Dont generalize LeHah, its no where near the same. Tolwyn could have been the greatest leader the Confederation ever had. He had the military experience, the courage, the brains, and the drive to truly make it into something that could be wielded against any foe, and yet still allow its people to be free. But he was short sighted. He didnt see the wide range of peoples and ideas, the pure potential for something that can adapt to confront anything. He didnt see that what Confed represented was what was worth fighting for in the first place. He spent so much time just trying to keep humanity from being wiped out that he forgot about what he would be left protecting if he succeded. Instead he narrowed his view to what would make humanity into the Kilrathi and wanted to dispose of the rest. And even if he had managed to do that without murdering people, turning us into that would have been a greater crime.

Ill agree with all you said except this

Instead he narrowed his view to what would make humanity into the Kilrathi and wanted to dispose of the rest.

Tolwyn's view was never narrow but it was obtuse. I refuse to believe Tolwyn was demonizing his own people, he was more about trying to prepare for the coming on-slaught, almost like the war with the Border Worlds was a training session.

I think he actually just wanted the rest of humanity like he wanted, but it wasn't really possible...

Sure whoever is left will feel safe. But how long until Tolwyn starts deciding that they dont have what it takes and exterminates them too? Oh yeah, Id feel real safe. Lets see on one hand we have an existence where people are in place to protect you no matter what you are and on the other hand you have people in place to take you out at the first sign that you dont "fit". Real safe yessiree.

Tolwyn viewed the Kilrathi as the ultimate warrior society, where the strong weed out the week through conflict. That is what he wanted to do with the Border Worlds conflict to change humanity. And whoever was left would be weeded out by gene bombs.

THe real irony is, that if he had been successful and wiped out 90% of humanity, even with elite soldiers, he just wouldnt have had the sheer numbers required to fend off the Nephiliem.

Originally posted by Supdon3
Sure whoever is left will feel safe. But how long until Tolwyn starts deciding that they dont have what it takes and exterminates them too? Oh yeah, Id feel real safe. Lets see on one hand we have an existence where people are in place to protect you no matter what you are and on the other hand you have people in place to take you out at the first sign that you dont "fit". Real safe yessiree.

My point exactly. :)

Originally posted by LeHah
To all those people: Blame yourself or God.

Blaming your self would be more productive I think because at least then you could do something to change it.:)

Well, you can also blame God since you can't prove he didn't do it. He certainly doesn't show his face a lot around me! :D

Why would he want to? You're the verification that the religious people don't want getting to the public, the biggest mistake god ever made.

Someone CAN be made that stupid.

I think we should veer from our theology discussion. That gets threads closed! :(

Plus blaming God is counterproductive to your point about people being too whiny and not taking responsibility for themselves.

Back