The Final Countdown? (July 10, 2007)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Unless you're especially unobservant then you've noticed the impressively specific countdown timer located directly above this update. What does it mean? There is no specific release date for Wing Commander Arena yet... but the launch is imminent. Therefore, we're counting down to the next unannounced Xbox Live Arcade release. Games are posted every Wednesday at 9 AM GMT. If Microsoft announces that the 7/11 game isn't Arena then we'll move the counter forward to 7/18. Let's hope we don't have to do that too many times!

--
Original update published on July 10, 2007

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I hope it is tomorrow, but unfortunately I won't be able to take the day off from work, so LeHah our battle will have to wait until after 4:30pm EST if it comes out tomorrow.

And here's to no resets!

I am going to go ahead and bet *against* tomorrow. E3 is going on and Microsoft's giant press extravaganza is tonight... I'm willing to bet they have some sort of stunt lined up for tomorrow (which is why it hasn't been announced yet).

Hades is betting Bomberman Live, since that recently got its Microsoft webpage activated.

I am going to go ahead and bet *against* tomorrow. E3 is going on and Microsoft's giant press extravaganza is tonight... I'm willing to bet they have some sort of stunt lined up for tomorrow (which is why it hasn't been announced yet).

Hades is betting Bomberman Live, since that recently got its Microsoft webpage activated.

Well even though it sounds bad to say, thanks for that. I'd rather have Arena come out on a day when I can bail from work and spend all day racking up kills and achievements with you guys.

Just saw - we're all watching in #WingNut. It was cool to see Arena for a second, though! The front page timer has already been updated... expect updates in a bit.

I just feel like Golden Axe and Sonic are pretty unimpressive. Both are available on the Wii already, and I figured on a big press night, Microsoft would like to announce the first 16 player XBLA game's release.

Maybe that's why I *make* things, instead of marketing them, though :).

Yeah, that's surprisingly low key - especially compared to all the cool stuff they showed as coming up.

Last year the surprise release was DooM, which was a lot cooler of an addition...

So, DooM is available on XBox Live Arcade? Hmm, didn't see it on the marketplace. Maybe I didn't look hard enough but I rather fear we habe a censored XBox Live Arcade here.

Yes I did notice the counter. And I thank you for explaining it. At a glance, I first thought it was the official countdown to the official release. But now I can be disappointed all over again. :D

So, DooM is available on XBox Live Arcade? Hmm, didn't see it on the marketplace. Maybe I didn't look hard enough but I rather fear we habe a censored XBox Live Arcade here.

Yup! It was a big deal a year or so ago... it's a lot of fun - it includes the 4th episode from Ultimate Doom and it included multiplayer. I spent a few late nights playing through it on Untouchable to get the achievements...

That said, different regions do have different Marketplaces... for example, Australia doesn't have Boom Boom Rocket for some reason.

So what did you guys think of the show?

Assassin's Creed really impressed me and I'm surprisingly excited that they're doing Feeding Frenzy 2 for XBLA. Seeing Arena on G4 was super cool, too (the only super cool thing on G4, amIright?). Rock Band looks kind of neat for people who have three friends and no shame.

A bunch of stuff seemed like it was good for the system but uninteresting for LOAF - licensing deal with Disney for marketplace content, the Scene It! game with the Wii-sticks, Marketplace expanding HD content in Canada and Europe and so forth.

Other stuff was disappointing. No price cut and no new SKU (other than an ugly green Halo Robot-colored version). If they'd dropped the Elite to $399 as rumored I would have planned an upgrade.

I actually didn't see most of the games I'm looking forward to. Half Life Orange got a mislabled 4 second clip in a montage... and there was no Tomb Raider Anniversary (that's DLC!) and no licensed stuff anywhere (no Star Wars games - not even the already-announced Lego Star Wars Complete Saga).

Edit - you can download HD versions of the various montages on XBL Marketplace now. I'm very slowly picking on the Arcade one...

Yup! It was a big deal a year or so ago... it's a lot of fun - it includes the 4th episode from Ultimate Doom and it included multiplayer. I spent a few late nights playing through it on Untouchable to get the achievements...

That said, different regions do have different Marketplaces... for example, Australia doesn't have Boom Boom Rocket for some reason.

Damn - one of my two friends who now owns a XBox 360 as well is a huge DooM fan and collector. We would have had lots of fun with that, I'm sure.

Those are the times where I am not happy to live in Germany. :mad:

Assassin's Creed really impressed me (...)

Assassin's Creed looks incredibly cool to me. I mean, it's from the genre of games I am not very good at but I think I'll still get it.

Even though it's been rumored for a while now...it's good to see that Marathon (or at least Marathon 2: Durandal from the screenshots) is coming to XBLA! And the new Halo 3 trailers looks pretty damn cool as well.

Even though it's been rumored for a while now...it's good to see that Marathon (or at least Marathon 2: Durandal from the screenshots) is coming to XBLA! And the new Halo 3 trailers looks pretty damn cool as well.

Wow, a Mac game ported to the 360, I never thought I'd see the day! :D

I hate to hope for further delays for Arena, but my 360 just died. I have to wait 4-6 weeks minimum for ~~~~~~~~~~ to resurrect it. So I'm all for Arena being held back until I can get in the game. I'd really like to be included in the initial batch of bloodshot-eyed, sleep-deprived nuggets, as opposed to being fresh meat for the veterans to pick off and yawn at derisively like I usually am when it comes to online gaming.

I hate to hope for further delays for Arena, but my 360 just died. I have to wait 4-6 weeks minimum for ~~~~~~~~~~ to resurrect it. So I'm all for Arena being held back until I can get in the game. I'd really like to be included in the initial batch of bloodshot-eyed, sleep-deprived nuggets, as opposed to being fresh meat for the veterans to pick off and yawn at derisively like I usually am when it comes to online gaming.

I'm sorry, that's awful. I would say that it'd probably take a lot less than 6 weeks, except the recent warranty extension has probably increased the repair backlog a bunch.

The same thing just happened to LeHah. It's pretty hard to find a console to rent these days, but I suppose if you've got the cash, it wouldn't hurt to buy a second system to play until yours is repaired. You could sell it afterwards as a "lightly used" box and it probably wouldn't end up costing you much more than renting one would.

Anyone considering this should keep in mind that when you buy a Live Arcade title, it binds to your gamertag AND the console. If you want to play on a different console later, you need to be signed in with your gamertag.

Anyone considering this should keep in mind that when you buy a Live Arcade title, it binds to your gamertag AND the console. If you want to play on a different console later, you need to be signed in with your gamertag.

Anyone who borrows (or buys, if you have too much money) an extra console for the launch can just use the hard drive or memory card from the one that's in the repair queue - that way they'll save anything they buy on Marketplace and not have to go through any additional downloads.

Be sure to ask if you can keep it. They specifically told me to send my hard drive in when I had to have it repaired, and I did not get the same one back.

Hmm, that's unexpected - the people I've read about were asked *not* to send back their hard drives. Did you get back the same Xbox? LeHah was wondering about that yesterday.

Back