The end of Prophecy - Secret Ops

Gov. Cavazos sounded like a politician with an agenda. And Confed intel sounded very, very creepy. And... that's about it.

Perhaps Delance was attempting to convey that Cavazos had an agenda that was not for the best interests for the people of the Confederation.

Dragon1 said:
Perhaps Delance was attempting to convey that Cavazos had an agenda that was not for the best interests for the people of the Confederation.

Could anyone elaborate on that idea? What about Cavazos gave off that impression? (Ironically, he IS a guy with a bit of "an agenda" in my follow-up story, so I'd be curious if there's any evidence or impressions people got off the character that makes them think he's into some kind of shady dealings or something.)

- FireFalcon ~};^

Oh, the ending was generic and bland. A politician that may or may not have a hidden agenda. A creepy intel agency.

I have to agree that the ending of Secret Ops was kind of bland given what is revealed earlier. More of a let down than anything else. But if Secret Ops was just filler before another WC game it would make more sense. About the politicians and and intel agencies, when have they not had agendas and/or been creepy in WC?

Looking forward to reading anything you decide to post FireFalcon (or link to).

X_FIREFALCON said:
Still working on my own little bit of fan fiction in a three-part set (trilogy thingeemabob) in my alternative FireFalcon's Take on the Future WC Universe following the events of Prophecy and Secret Ops picking up where things left off with a long list of known characters we all love and a handful of new ones thrown into the mix that most probably won't care about. I'm still planning to plop it in the fan-fiction section when I'm done the first part (probably through a link since the thing's going to be so dang massive), though I still have some reservations that the die-hard fans here are going to read it, tear it apart with wooden spoons, stick the pieces in a blender, then drop a nuke on the pulpy remains. (Call me paranoid.) :)

So anyway, I'll be indirectly conveying my thoughts on the whole post-Secret Ops Nephilim/Aligned thing in times to come...though at my current rate of speed, we'll probably all be of retirement age by the time I'm actually done with the first part. ;) And by then, my frail, tired, decimated little ego probably couldn't take the constructive criticism and it'd spell an end for my three-parter right there anyway. :) But hey, the first part will still be there for anyone who wants to devote a sizable portion of their golden years reading all of it. ;)

- FireFalcon ~};^

Sounds a very good story you have. Are you interested in posting in our Wing Commander Anthology??

So what ever happened to that mutagenic virus threat? Was it a loose end or did it all end with the destruction of the space station?

Nomad Terror said:
they had already developed the Iron Maiden treatment during the course of the game...

Yepper...though I think we were given the impression that (at best) the treatment only limited the spread of the infection, and required multiple (infinite?) treatments. To my knowledge, we're never given any evidence of any kind of cure...only this Iron Maiden treatment which doesn't sound too pleasant and only halts the infection rather than destroying it. (Yet another idea I plan to touch on in my crazy story.)

Dahan said:
Sounds a very good story you have. Are you interested in posting in our Wing Commander Anthology??

Sounds like a generous offer, Dahan. Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly do you mean? (I frequent the forums and check some relevant parts of the Wing Commander page pertaining to character bios, universe maps, Kilrathi language, ships, etc. to help me along with the story I'm working on..so I'm not familiar with what the "Wing Commander Anthology" is. If you could enlighten me, I may consider it or altogether welcome the offer.) :)

- FireFalcon ~};^

X_FIREFALCON said:
Yepper...though I think we were given the impression that (at best) the treatment only limited the spread of the infection, and required multiple (infinite?) treatments. To my knowledge, we're never given any evidence of any kind of cure...only this Iron Maiden treatment which doesn't sound too pleasant and only halts the infection rather than destroying it. (Yet another idea I plan to touch on in my crazy story.)
IIRC, the treatment did in fact cure the disease - it's just that it all had to be treated simultaneously, because if you tried to only cure one part of the body, the disease would move elsewhere.

I looked at the script again, and all Spyder says is that the treatment is taking form of dozens of injections simultaneously along the surface of the rash.

He only says this prevents it from shifting through the skin... he doesn't say whether or not it actually cures it.

Nomad Terror said:
I looked at the script again, and all Spyder says is that the treatment is taking form of dozens of injections simultaneously along the surface of the rash.

He only says this prevents it from shifting through the skin... he doesn't say whether or not it actually cures it.
He says this has to be done simultaneously to prevent the disease from avoiding the treatment by shifting through the skin. So, the treatment isn't applied to stop the disease from shifting through the skin - the treatment is applied to treat the disease. It's just the form of the treatment that was chosen to prevent the disease from escaping by moving elsewhere.

Anyway, by definition, a treatment is used to cure something - so at the very least, this treatment must stop the disease from doing further damage. I mean, it's safe to assume that they're not just sticking their patients full of needles to make the last hours of their life more interesting :).

Yes I agree that the treatment is at least preventing further spread of the rash.

However I think treatment is a more encompassing term. A cure would certainly be a treatment, but also would a painkiller.

Yeah, treatments being used to cure are only one possible definition. Very often you will see a method of therapy defined as a "treatment, but not a cure" for a disease.

Sounds like a generous offer, Dahan. Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly do you mean? (I frequent the forums and check some relevant parts of the Wing Commander page pertaining to character bios, universe maps, Kilrathi language, ships, etc. to help me along with the story I'm working on..so I'm not familiar with what the "Wing Commander Anthology" is. If you could enlighten me, I may consider it or altogether welcome the offer.)

- FireFalcon ~};^

Have a look at the fan fiction forum there is thread for a Wing Commander Anthology

Back