The end of Earth & Beyond is nigh!

Karthik@KANE

Spaceman
Electronic Arts announces that it will close down its sci-fi massively multiplayer online role-playing game in September.

Electronic Arts has recently updated its official Earth & Beyond Web site with the unfortunate news that its "online role-playing galaxy" will effectively cease to be on September 22, 2004. The massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG), which was developed by Westwood Studios, will have been in operation for a little more than two years when it is switched off.

EA made the decision to close the game so that it can focus its resources on future games. Players are advised to check their e-mail accounts for updates and information on what this announcement means for them.

By Justin Calvert, GameSpot [POSTED: 03/17/04 08:11 AM]

Another bites the dust, eh?!

Not exactly bad news. It frees up a lot of workers to go on other projects. And seeing that the programers are experienced in MMORPGs, perhaps Privateer Online may be next in line?

"...can focus its resources on future games..." .​

I think this is the key phrase ... The one that makes every WC fan hold is breath :D .

High,

Jumpgate rules and is a great game, at least on the European server. I never played on the US server. It seems to be more PvP oriented overthere. It is the closest thing to Privateer you can get for money.

ChanceKell said:
Not exactly bad news. It frees up a lot of workers to go on other projects. And seeing that the programers are experienced in MMORPGs, perhaps Privateer Online may be next in line?
It's the opposite actually! E&B has proved that online space sim is a fluke. So no more Wing Commander Online daydreams!

Hello,

Death said:
While the US Jumpgate server is more focused on PvP than the EU server, PvP isn't, by far, the only activity on the US server.

If you'll pardon the plug, there's even a The Drakhai squad there, lead by someone you may know. :D

Oh, and BTW, NetDevil (the developers of JG) also is making an offer to E&B players for a free month of JG, in exchange for E&B discs.

I'm glad to hear that about the US Server. On our stations there is only Basic Equipment in stock. If we want something special (Purgs, MS, even Sport+), we have to produce it. That often means we have to sit into a Mining Boat and start the chain from that point. Oooops, it is getting Off-Topic.
Btw. I know your JG-Nick, because you are writing quite often at the Jumpgate Forum! You can find me : http://www.jossh.de/terminal_civilian.html
Pilot: Amazone

Tolwyn believed that our victory over the Kilrathi was a fluke, that space combat sims, as a genre, needed tinkering with, engineering, third person, mouse and keyboard.

Delance said:
Tolwyn believed that our victory over the Kilrathi was a fluke, that space combat sims, as a genre, needed tinkering with, engineering, third person, mouse and keyboard.
Where are you going with that Mr. Delance?

Back