The Demon

Ripper

Peace Through Superior Firepower
"There was a demon that lived in the air.

They said that whoever challenged him, would die.

Their controls would freeze up, their planes would buffet wildly, and they would disintegrate.

The demon lived at Mach 1 on the meter, 750 miles an hour, where the air could no longer move out of the way. He lived behind a barrier they said through which NO man would ever pass. They called it the sound barrier.

Then they built a small plane called the X-1 to try and break the sound barrier.

And men came to the high desert of California to ride it.

They were called test pilots.

And no one knew their names."

The Right Stuff

As we mourn our losses that are a part of our human nature to explore, may I humbly suggest to anyone interested that a look back to where we started, a look at where we are now, and then a look to the stars as where the human spirit and imagination can take us, may be appropriate.

We must press on.

Ripper

I noticed that you are specially sad with the Columbia´s crash, Ripper. That´s the second tribute and third thread you open on the same topic. Any specific reason?

The price to explore space, to take our rightful place among the stars will be high. It will be high in monetary terms, it will be high in the lives that will be lost. There will be failures, and disasters that we cannot begin to imagine that will exact a price from the human spirit.

I say that no price is too high, no amount of lives lost is too many, and there is no failure that cannot be overcome.

To cower in the darkness, for fear of being hurt, or of failing, or of dying is not the way of Man.

We will stride forward into the sunlight, facing any danger to explore, to learn, to live.

We dare to dream.

We dare to live our dreams.

"man must grasp beyond his reach. If we don't then we are not human."
I don't remember the qoute exactly or who said it but i think in recent times it still holds true

Back